Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

I don't know what I think about this. When the story first came out, thought, "Huh. Ok, but you'll never know what $29 bucks a day is, truly, because you can always get out. Hope this doesn't end up being a fad like the ice bucket challenge where people decide to try $29 a week and then don't donate."

Elite Member

Hmm, guess she's already bailed on the challenge. Disappointing, but hardly surprising. Now and then, I read about a celebrity or a politician taking on the food stamp challenge, but I rarely read about what they think of it and what they learned, if anything. I suspect most give up after a few days, when the cravings for their favourite food set in.

Food stamps don't exist in Denmark, but as a mini challenge, I tried to see what I could get for the equivalent of $29 when I went shopping today, and how that compared to what I normally buy. Unsurprisingly, you can only get the most basic ingredients, and you would have to choose non-organic vegetables, non-whole grain pasta, and high-fat ground beef to make ends meet, which is really depressing.

If I was her publicist, I would suggest an announcement that she will donate a healthy percentage of all goop sales to orgs which fight hunger. That would go over much better than her pretending to live on a $29 food budget for a week, and it could potentially do a lot of good.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I find what she chose obnoxious. As if to send off a message, "Look at the healthy choices I am making, poor people, follow suit." Meanwhile, with seven pricey limes, she's sure to starve. I think she just wanted to go on a diet and decided to try to look all philanthropic while at it.
    greysfang and faithanne like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    She is KNOWN for her luxury lifestyle shit she pushes in that stupid GOOP site. I see her and I think of that christmas gift guide that included ridiculously overpriced items. For someone like that to say they're "walking a mile in their shoes" is like Imelda Marcos saying the same thing. I don't think it's raising awareness about anything except Goopy's concern about her image and how she wants to be seen as charitable and concerned for the poors. Saying that elected officials responsible for this should get the same hate is besides the point. Of course they should, they're directly responsible. But they're also not trying to suggest a $4700 gold juicer as a Christmas gift.

Or suggest travel destinations like the an Aman resort in Sri Lanka called Amanwella where an ocean suite is available in February for a cool $1325 a night.

Or putting out precious announcements like they've decided to "consciously uncouple" with their spouse.
    Have you ever seen her interviewed about the xmas gift guide? She states very clearly that she doesn't have this stuff herself because it is too expensive. Then she showed many other items on the list that are affordable and she personally endorses. She's just so easy to hate that people make snap judgments and never actually listen to what she has to say.
    sputnik likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Whatevs. She's a trifling ass bitch and I can't stand her. But kudos to her for raising some awareness, even if the attention she is getting is all negative.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

And is she actually doing the challenge or has she given up and is going to restaurants or is she going to do it next week or something?
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I don't even expect her to actually do the challenge because who cares. But I don't really believe that she or her friends are going to put their money where their mouths are, even to score an invite to a goopy party. It's all talk. If she did cut a check or actively lobby for something it would be something. But that's not what's going on here.

It's all to be in on the buzz of the latest trendy topic. It's self-serving, and for attention, and I find it distasteful.
    NickiDrea, tulip and spinmonkey like this.

Gwyneth Paltrow Fails Food Stamp Challenge Miserably, But Hey, At Least She Owns Up To It

Let the criticism begin. After four days of her $29 Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) challenge, Gwyneth Paltrow quit the food stamp challenge. On Thursday, Paltrow took to Goop, where she talked about trying to live on food stamps and admitted to not following through completely. Basically, Paltrow confessed to quitting and owned up to failing miserably. She wrote, “As I suspected, we only made it through about four days, when I personally broke and had some chicken and fresh vegetables (and in full transparency, half a bag of black licorice).”

If that isn’t enough, on Tuesday, April 14 (five days after Paltrow announced her SNAP participation), she chowed down at an $85 gourmet barbecue dinner hosted by David and Victoria Beckham, Page Six reports. Per Paltrow’s rep, “She already finished the challenge last week but only got around to posting the photo of the groceries on [Thursday].” Nice try, because Paltrow is totally admitting to giving up.

Before she even admitted to quitting, Paltrow was under a lot of criticismfor doing the food stamp challenge all wrong. Now, I’m sure, many are going to slam the actress for not trying hard enough. With that said, at least she’s admitting she quit. You can’t fault her for her honesty, right? Paltrow gave herself the grade of a “C-.” Um, Paltrow, seeing as you failed completely, you really deserve an F, but, that’s just my opinion.

http://www.bustle.com/news
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

czb

i guess i'm not seeing the issue. she tried, and admitted she flopped. so?

how many here have tried the food stamp challenge? i'm not talking about people who have no choice and ARE on food stamps, but peeps who shop at whole foods/albertsons/delicious orchards and stick to that kind of budget? i haven't ....

I'm not going to crap on her for admitting she failed the challenge. In fact it's impressive that she was open about that. One of the first glimmers of realism from her that I've seen.

I've been there and it sucks. I have no desire to re-experience that just for funsies.

czb

^^^ yeah, i've been on that kind of budget in the past and i personally would not do it by choice. but for someone who has never been without and actually tried it? maybe gwynnie learned something from it.

I think beyond that one shopping trip where the dumbass bought 7 lines and a single avocado, she didn't really try. But look at all the press she managed to pull talking about it.
    rollo, llamamama and Kittylady like this.

You are more kind than I, czb. I think she just was like, "Oh, well. I tried. Then I had an $85 dollar dinner, more than twice what I was supposed to spend on food in a week. But maybe people now know what kind of fresh veggies and good cheese one can buy on $29 a week. Of to open my goop Chicago store! Live and learn, amIright?" But then, am cynical; never thought this would fly for her in the first place.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information