Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    For 29.00, I'd buy a bag of potatoes, a package of pasta or rice, a couple of cans of tomatoes, some dried beans, and a cheap staple veg like carrots. You can actually make quite a few decent meals with these items. I tend to prefer fairly simple meals, so I'd be quite happy this lot.
    Exactly. A lot of her choices are ridiculous -- you aren't going to waste $ on fresh herbs unless cilantro is super cheap. All those limes? Maybe a few, but there are so many. Green onions and an onion? When you are on food stamps, you are thinking about food that will give you the biggest nutritional bang for your buck, not flavoring.

Elite Member

Ok, I hate myself a little, but I did a quick estimate of the total calories in the food pictured. I got it to about 1,400 kcal a day, which is more than I thought, but still less than the recommeded.

This is a new thing, she's the latest celeb/politician to try and live on the "food stamp diet". I don't know that this is going to make much of a change to anything. I look at my family and think that $90 a week would be tough to live on. Three meals a day, seven days a week? That's tough. I see why working parents on a very tight income stop at fast food on the way home. Ten dollars, ten tacos. A bucket of chicken and a couple of sides, etc.

Here in CA, there are a lot of people that don't qualify for the federal food stamp program, but are able to get assistance through WIC. Helps with bread, milk, formula, etc, I think the vouchers actually say what they're for and what you can get with each voucher.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Exactly. A lot of her choices are ridiculous -- you aren't going to waste $ on fresh herbs unless cilantro is super cheap. All those limes? Maybe a few, but there are so many. Green onions and an onion? When you are on food stamps, you are thinking about food that will give you the biggest nutritional bang for your buck, not flavoring.
    Cilantro is about 50 cents for a bunch that size. It grows like a weed, so spend $2.50 on a planting and it will grow like mad and you can eat off of it pretty much the entire growing season.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

Oh man.. where i live, one itty bitty lime in a store can cost around ($3 - $5) each! .. (i ended up rescuing a lime tree from the 'Save Me/Us' little section of my local plant nursery, and it's now growing happily in my garden).

But looking at Gwyneths shopping there .. it seems so odd that she bought seven limes and only one tomato .. why would you only buy one tomato? .. i don't get it?

The tomato's would have have been so much more versatile for the foods/meals than the limes.. Yes okay i know that lemons/limes add a lovely flavor to dishes.. but sheesh...

Anyways Happy Cooking (and farting, with all those black beans ) Gwyneth.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    Ok, I hate myself a little, but I did a quick estimate of the total calories in the food pictured. I got it to about 1,400 kcal a day, which is more than I thought, but still less than the recommeded.
    Unless I'm not understanding correctly, that food should last her one week, and I don't see any way that those items could add up to 1400 calories a day for 7 days.

I also don't understand why I keep reading this thread. I can't stand this pretentious twit. Arghh. Can I start the line to slap her?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Unless I'm not understanding correctly, that food should last her one week, and I don't see any way that those items could add up to 1400 calories a day for 7 days.

I also don't understand why I keep reading this thread. I can't stand this pretentious twit. Arghh. Can I start the line to slap her?
    You're right. I don't remember how I got the 1,400 kcal, and now I can't get past 800-900 kcal pr day.

12 eggs (12x55g - 143 kcal/100g) = 944 kcal
    brown rice (500g - 368 kcal/100g) = 1,840 kcal
    black beans (500g - 340 kcal/100g) = 1,700 kcal
    tortillas (300g - 300 kcal/100g) = 900 kcal
    greens (1,000g - 40 kcal/100g) = 400 kcal
    That gives 827 kcal pr. day.

A woman of Gwynnie's size and activity level might survive on that, but a person with a physically demanding job or a growing teenager will be feeling faint after a day or two.

I still hold out hope that this challenge will make Gwyneth realise how regular people live. It could be a real breakthrough for the woman who thinks that everyone could and should take time out to watch the sun rise in order to be better people.

Silver Member

Wtf is the point of the food stamp challenge? I grew up poor on food stamps. These assholes need to stop it. My mom's shopping list would've been a case of ramen, ground beef, pasta, rice and bananas. Is she fucking kidding with those limes? And kale? The cheapest I've ever seen kale is $1.99/bunch. And avocados are freaking expensive.
    Last edited by Appollonia; April 11th, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
    darksithbunny and soogar like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Appollonia View Post
    Wtf is the point of the food stamp challenge? I grew up poor on food stamps. These assholes need to stop it. My mom's shopping list would've been a case of ramen, ground beef, pasta, rice and bananas. Is she fucking kidding with those limes? And kale? The cheapest I've ever seen kale is $1.99/bunch. And avocados are freaking expensive.
    Depending on your standpoint on food stamps / wellfare, the point is to either bring attention to how difficult it is to sustain a healthy diet on food stamps, or to prove how easy it is to live well on food stamps.
    Will be interesting to see on which side Gwynnie comes down.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

I get avocados at Aldi and they aren't expensive. Goopy is a dumbass. I would have gotten 7 avocados and one fucking lime.

I think she cuts up the limes to garnish her Pellegrino. That has to be where the rest of that money went. I could have bought everything in her picture here for way less than $29.
    nwgirl likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I would have cheese on my shopping list. You can make tons of soups with beans and veggies. Put the ear of corn and limes back. Buy a bag of potatoes, oatmeal, bread and some milk.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Poor people who don't qualify for SNAP eat:

Ramen. Lots of it.
    Mac and cheese with tuna fish and peas.
    lots of spegetti with ground beef meat.
    waffles for breakfast and maybe an apple or banana.
    milk. or dry milk on hand.
    lunch is a brown bag of peanut butter and jelly. chips. maybe an apple or banana if mom can get them on sale enough to have for lunch.
    rinse and repeat every day of the week.
    Pancakes might be a weekend happy breakfast depending on how well mom did for the week i.e. extra tips on that part time waitress job.
    At least that is how we ate.
    Novice, dilligaf, tulip and 1 others like this.

Auntie Fee could show Goopy a thing or three.

My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Even if she is actually undertaking the challenge, my response is still, bitch please. You know she's used to subsisting on next to nothing and over-exercising anyway, she'd probably get off on it, anorexic-style. It's just not the same when you know you have a full pantry to come home to or more likely, a private chef or trendy vegan restaurant as soon as it's over.

It's annoying at best and insulting at worst.

Gold Member

Haha -- Auntie Fee is hysterical! She needs a good censor to bleep out her language, but that's part of what makes her so entertaining! I'd love to see her and Gwyneth cooking together.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information