Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I thought they were owned by brothers in competition with each other after they split up their inheritance. One brother owns Aldi and the other has Trader Joes?
    "They split their business into two distinct groups, Aldi Nord, managed by Theo, and Aldi Süd, managed by Karl, following a disagreement in the early 1960s over whether or not they should sell cigarettes."
    "The brothers retired as CEOs in 1993; control of the company was placed in the hands of a private family foundation, the Siepmann Foundation, which safeguards the common interests of the members of the Albrecht family.[5]"
    So although the group is still delineated (Aldi Nord, Aldi Sud & Trader Joes), it appears to be all back in the Aldi "group" again.

Theo Albrecht died July 2010, Karl Albrecht, businessman: born Essen, Germany 20 February 1920; married Maria (died 2013; one son, one daughter); died Essen 16 July 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Novice, you were thinking of Cool Whip, that's the sweet, frozen whipped cream "product" that comes in a tub. Miracle Whip is some kind of dressing/mayo pretender.
    Its still too sweet (IMHO)
    sluce likes this.
    Free Charmed.

I miss Aldi from when I lived in England. Great deals on cheese, yogurt and pate. The state I live in now doesn't have Aldi.

Within 200 metres of my house I have 6 hotels (pubs) where I can buy takeaway alcohol, a standalone bottle shop and a supermarket with a bottle shop attached. Within one kilometre I have 2 drive in liquor store warehouses where you can buy it by the pallet. And it's legal to drink at 18.
    sluce and Novice like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Here, people go to Aldi and Wegman's for entirely different reasons. I am a big admirer of how Aldi manages to tuck an entire grocery store into such a compact space. Before I ever knew what it was, I thought Aldi was some kind of specialty marine store or something. You could put it anywhere, which is why I'm surprised that there aren't more of them around here.

I get it about some of the stores appearing dirty. There is one in Monmouth/Tinton Falls NJ that is really disappointing compared to the ones here.

Wegman's is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It's like building a castle. The one we have took what seemed like a year to build - huge and all kind of issues putting in parking, etc. But the reaction here was like the Beatles coming to America. It has the best of the best of almost everything and it's almost always a madhouse in there. Beautiful store. Where else can you get an aged Spanish ham that will cost you $90 a pound? That being said, when Mrs. Mohandas and I can sneak off on a weekend afternoon by ourselves, we will go to the buffet at Wegman's and take the food up to the loft area and just relax and eat and talk - I love that.

From what I remember, Aldi and Trader Joe's were owned by the Albrecht brothers. I think Aldi was started by their father. And one brother eventually broke away and started Trader Joe's. Also one of the brothers had been kidnapped in the 1970s by the Red Brigades and held for something like $7 Million in ransom. They paid a ransom for him, and he was released, and I think both of them basically stayed out of public life after that. The last brother passed away last year or the year before. I think Novice probably knows more of this story than I do.

I go to the Aldi in West Long Branch a lot. They've come a long way. They have some really great deals. I've been to the one in Neptune and it is very dirty.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

I read in the Daily News Fish Sticks quite the challenge after 4 days.
    rollo likes this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Jetlag must screw with my brain because I am going to defend Goopy. Cannot believe this. Better stay away from the Leman thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    But look at all the press she managed to pull talking about it.
    Which is what the challenge is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i guess i'm not seeing the issue. she tried, and admitted she flopped. so?
    Exactly, how bad would it have been for the awareness if she easily finished the challenge?

[QUOTE=sluce;3332451]Her efforts had an impact on me. I did cut a check to local food pantry today. They can thank Goopy for bringing this to my attention.
    /QUOTE]

Super of you,Sluce! I do have to same feeling when we spending on expensive dinners and then you leave and you see homeless ,...
    When the kids did their communion, we made them spend the same amount of the party in food for the poor. We called the local food bank (that is how it's called) and they told us what they needed, so the kids shopped for the food and then donated it in the kitchen. Meeting all this people raised awareness in them, so since then, every year they donate some of their pocket money.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    are they gonna shame everyone who goes out for a $$$ dinner? that will include me and a LOT of other people....
    I know and If we all stopped doing that, the economy would suffer so we also contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I would not get liquor from the Aldi.
    I never have but I have heard from a wine expert that some of the wines at Aldi are actually really good. That you get a superior quality then say same price at liquor store.

We don't have and Aldi in the Keys. The closest one is in Homestead in a pretty bad area, so I just stick to Publix and Winn Dixie. My mom used to make me Miracle whip and peanut butter sandwiches and I loved them at the time. It's only Hellmans for me now and not on peanut butter either. I make peanut butter and butter toasted sandwiches though.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Speaking of peanut butter - how about fluffer nutters? I make them for my kids - and I had never even had one myself. They love them so much that they don't ask for PB&J any more.
    gardenwitch likes this.

My dad loves banana & mayo sandwiches. It makes me wanna vomit.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I had to go back 4-5 pages to find out how the hell we got from Goopy being a pretentious asshole to banana and mayo sammiches (gross).
    rollo likes this.

My dad liked peanut butter and green onion sandwiches. How in the world he came up with that combo, I'll never know.

Peanut butter and fluffernutter were the best sandwiches, my mom wouldn't let me buy a jar of the stuff but my dad always did, I relished his fluffernutter sandwiches.

I still can't believe peanut butter and mayo is a thing. I refuse to believe it, absolutely refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    Peanut butter and fluffernutter were the best sandwiches, my mom wouldn't let me buy a jar of the stuff but my dad always did, I relished his fluffernutter sandwiches.

I still can't believe peanut butter and mayo is a thing. I refuse to believe it, absolutely refuse.

I had to google fluffernutter. Now I would like to try. I am pretty sure they do not sell this here. Better for my waistline, I guess.
    I eat mayo on a sandwich but never tried with peanut butter.
    My 'gross' fav is french fries with an egg yolk (as the sauce), learned from my dad.
    Brah likes this.

Aldi and Lidl are doing really great in the UK currently. Their respective reputation(s) have really improved over the last year or so, they are genuinely competing with the big supermarkets like Tesco and Asda (owned by Walmart). You can get a bottle of Prosecco for around £3 or £4 and it's actually nice.

There is an advert on TV currently, I think it's for Lidl, where it's basically a restaurant set-up and all the customers are told to pay however much they think the meal was worth. Every dish has been made from Lidl produce and obviously it shows all the people getting crazy amounts of change because their total meal only cost something like £25 for four people over multiple courses. The food does look yum, admittedly. I like the advert.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I can easily feed me and R. 2 meals a day/6 days a week for around $30. Factor my MIL in and that comes balloons to at least $50 or more. I make meals that are imo, relatively healthy, and stretch. For example I'll buy 2-3 pounds of ground turkey, a couple bags of dried beans, some tomato paste, an onion and make a chili. I like mine heavy on the beans as it makes the batch bigger without feeling deprived. I immediately section it off into servings for freezing. It'll make at least 6 meals to be eaten over the next 4-8 weeks. I usually serve it with white rice or Jiffy corn bread. Same with batches of beef stews, pulled pork, soups, etc. Buying family packs of meats will also help a budget.

I do keep many staples on hand at all times, bought in bulk since I have plenty of room to store 25 pounds of rice or a few pounds of flour. I keep saying I'm going to get a chest freezer. I'll be a prepared meal making fool. LOL

I love late spring/summer around here. Lots and lots of Farmers Markets and pop up road side stands with really cheap, farm fresh produce. Many vegetables can be easily frozen for later use if you know what they are/how to prepare them. I've never canned other than tomato sauce. I might try my hand at a salsa or something this year.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread Information