Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree610Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Separate

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I like the term and all it implies. I believe it is better for the kids in the long run from an emotional standpoint (except for how other kids will tease them for mommy using this term. LOL!).
    so a kid is supposed to say that their parents consciously uncoupled? what we say to our kids is that some kids' parents live in two houses and we call them 'two house families'. don't know what else to say to grade school kids ....

Tell them that Gynnie has uncoupled and that is what the classy families do.
    Flygirl likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Well, it's a shame that she didn't explain and give credit to the originator of the term, because now it just comes across as the usual, holier-than-thou Goopy way of saying, "hey y'all, me and hubby are gettin' DE-VORCED."
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I like the term conscious uncoupling and hope it catches on. It indicates that this is not a quick decision, or a decision made by just one party against the wishes of the other. It informs the world that they have tried and have now consciously (with great thought) decided to no longer be a couple. Please also know she did not invent this term. A therapist named Katherine Woodward started this term in treatment for people working through the end of relationships. The intent is to empower them and let them move forward with a sense of having done all they could before making the decision that to part is the best solution. I don't have time to research and post links but her programs are pretty well know by marriage and family therapists. Some of the old codgers laugh at her approach but others see benefit.
    Gwynnie, is that you??

JUST KIDDING!!
    sluce likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I don't have a real problem with the term when used in a therapeutic context like Sluce describes. But I swear, every time I see it, I think of something Sir Topham Hatt would do to Thomas and Percy when he's in a particularly zen-like state of mind.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I've seen many a divorce begin on a "look how enlightened and special and peaceable we are" footing and turn ugly and uglier still as the process unfolds. So the biggest problem I have with the term "conscious uncoupling" is that it sounds incredibly euphemistic. And if you tell your kids Mom and Dad are going to "consciously uncouple" and after a few months you are in a familial cold war, then it was a lie. At least "divorce" is neutral and factual.

I know from my California years that some people use terms like this to avoid their own shadow and pretend that no one got hurt and no one is shitty, even though someone probably got hurt and will get incredibly hurt and shittiness is all 'round. I mean, dang. Divorce hurts. It's a major life transition and there's no way to avoid the hard parts of it even when things go smoothly and amicably. And if there are kids involved and you have a heart, you know it's hard on them, and calling it something that sounds easy, to me, is misleading.

But then, I don't like it when people are said to have "passed away." Please. They died. They are dead.

That said, yes, in a therapeutic setting it might be helpful to introduce the idea.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

mjw
    Elite Member

Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow had open relationship; he fell for Alexa Chung

LaineyGossip is reporting that Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow had an open relationship prior to their split.

While Paltrow accepted her husband's fling with a "skinnier" "fashion It girl", it is reported that she "never expected he would fall in love. And that he wouldn’t be able to fall out of love even after he ended it."

LaineyGossip strongly hinted that the It girl concerned was English model and TV personality Alexa Chung, 30. Immediately after the split announcement, the gossip site suggested Chung as Martin's most likely rebound relationship. In a separate fashion post, the site referred to "fashion It Girls like, ahem, Alexa Chung."

Chung and Martin spent time together during the Glastonbury Music Festival in June 2013. They wandered around the festival site together, posing separately for photos with a fan who remarked that they were "both so lovely." Another festival-goer saw the pair sitting by "a little fire just off the track" at 4am on Sunday morning. Later that evening, they watched the Rolling Stones' performance from side-of-stage.

Chung has not been in a serious relationship since her 2011 split with Arctic Monkeys frontman Alex Turner, whom she dated for four years.

Sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow had open relationship; he fell for Alexa Chung

Is 'consciously' really necessarily in the phrase? Lest anyone think the couple is un- or subconscious.

I think he's going to be like Ashton Kutcher. Chris is going to go for someone low maintenance next time. Goodness knows who will fit Goopy's exacting standards and could bear/ignore her pontification. Mick Jagger?
    kasippu likes this.

Lainey might be more insufferable than Goop.

mjw
    Elite Member

This was posted on ONTD.

rollo and sputnik like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

C'mon Tom Cruise! This is your perfect chance to snap up your perfect woman! Rich, snobby, thinks she's on a higher plane of existence to everyone else and doesn't like to have sex with the man she's married to - truly a match made in Thetan heaven!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Goopy's too good for the clams. I doubt she'll go the A list celeb route for her next public conscious coupling. I could see her with the gazillionaire impresario or art dealer type, someone like arpad busson or andré balazs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ I know, but I can dream, right?
    sputnik likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Bronze Member

I agree completely. Just seems that most celebrities who are born into celebrity/money as opposed to "working" their way into Hollywood never put the time or effort to connect with normal people. They are in like a fantasy world from birth and never take time to listen/be around the other 99% of people. I would like to think that occasionally though even the wealthy influence or raise their children more open minded and kinder to other social statuses.

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    The truly negative outcome of this divorce is that now we'll be treated to Gwynnie drivel on and on about "how to coparent succesfully while on a low carb diet" or "how to find time for kids, new lover and a colonic pepper cleanse".

So, it's impossible to connect with people with a different social status than one's own? All she has to do to understand "normal" is talk/listen to people and grow some empathy. It ain't difficult.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information