Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree610Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Separate

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    *waits for sluce and sput to come in and defend our lady of perpetual snobbery*
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    eh, she's consistent. and not pretending to be anyone she isn't so yeah, i still think the issue isn't goopy herself but people who think that she's trying to relate to them or, even worse, that she should be trying to relate to them. she's not. get over it.
    Sorry to be late to the party, but I do prefer a fashionably late entrance.

I concur with Sput here. Gwyneth will not disappoint as long as you know your place.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I read a pretty heartwarming story today about how Paltrow donated 500 remaindered $1,900 calfskin iPad cases to an impoverished tribe in Southern Sudan.
    kasippu, Bombshell and Belt Up like this.

Her very existence offends me.
    Gilmourgirl likes this.

Think of the children! It's still all about me, myself and I.

Eh she is the one who keeps dragging "normals" into things by comparing her lot to theirs/ours. I think her general message is fuzzy because she doesn't rely on the needed expertise of her handlers. But what message I do make out comes off like, I am like you peons bc I do all the ordinary things you do, but I am way better at it and a wealthy actress besides, so I am like a super version of you. Her message isn't a straightforward, unambiguous "I'm above all that." I'd prefer that.
    Trixie likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I agree that not all people need to be able to relate to others. It's next to impossible, unless you're talking about relating on a very basic level.

However, I would say most women/working moms would love to be able to work the kind of schedule an actress like Goopy has. You have caretakers and handlers, private, luxury trailers for you and your family to relax in while you show up and wait on set. Someone to take care of your kids, someone to bring you and your kids meals, coffee, etc. Working on location for a few weeks and a few 14 hour days, then whisking off to a private island for a two week vacation seems to be a pretty decent balance. Especially when you can do one movie a year and have the kind of lifestyle and salary A list actors have.

mjw
    Elite Member

A working mom’s open letter to Gwyneth

By Mackenzie Dawson
    March 27, 2014 | 3:08pm

Dear Gwyneth,

I really enjoyed your recent comments to E! about how easy an office job is for parents, compared to the grueling circumstances of being on a movie set. “I think it’s different when you have an office job, because it’s routine and, you know, you can do all the stuff in the morning and then you come home in the evening,” you said. “When you’re shooting a movie, they’re like, ‘We need you to go to Wisconsin for two weeks,’ and then you work 14 hours a day, and that part of it is very difficult. I think to have a regular job and be a mom is not as, of course there are challenges, but it’s not like being on set.”

As a mother of a toddler, I couldn’t agree more!

“Thank God I don’t make millions filming one movie per year” is what I say to myself pretty much every morning as I wait on a windy Metro-North platform, about to begin my 45-minute commute into the city. Whenever things get rough, all I have to do is keep reminding myself of that fact. It is my mantra.

And I know all my fellow working-mom friends feel the same. Am I right, ladies?

We’re always gabbing about how easy it is to balance work and home life. Whenever I meet with them at one of our weekly get-togethers — a breeze to schedule, because reliable baby sitters often roam my neighborhood in packs, holding up signs peddling their services — we have a competition to see who has it easier. Is it the female breadwinners who work around the clock to make sure their mortgages get paid, lying awake at night, wracked with anxiety over the idea of losing their jobs? Or is it the mothers who get mommy-tracked and denied promotions? What about the moms with “regular” 9-to-5 jobs, who are penalized when their kids are sick and they don’t have backup child care?

Those women are living the dream, I tell you!

Which reminds me, child care. As you know, Gwynnie, having a staff can be a real drag. It’s so hard to find good help these days! That’s why it’s a good thing there’s all this nationally subsidized, high-quality day care lying around for the taking. It just makes things easier knowing you have such a strong support network and don’t have to pay someone anywhere from $30K to $65K annually to take care of your child full-time.

You mentioned in your E! interview that when someone has an office job, “You know you can do all the stuff in the morning,” and that hit the nail on the head. As someone with an office job, my mornings are obviously pretty leisurely. Sometimes I even have time to drink half of my coffee before it gets cold! After my 6 a.m. wake-up, I have a lot of time to loll around, hopping in the shower and then throwing makeup on my face, hoping that I’ll have enough time to put my tights on before my son starts crying in his crib. Then, when he does start crying, I have to make the decision: Do I get fully dressed, or do I go tend to him with my hair still dripping wet? Talk about being spoilt for choice!

Then I have a few Bellinis and adjust my 401(k) contributions.

After I get home from work, I’m full of energy and ready to cook dinner using one of the recipes you post on your lifestyle Web site, Goop: slow-cooked kale, pancetta and bread crumbs, anyone? After that, I’ll go to yoga, spend a few hours meditating and maybe do some online shopping, picking up a pair of $350 white leopard-printed short-shorts via Goop in preparation for the “spring break” I’ll take with my husband and son.

If there’s one thing I look good in after having a child, it’s short-shorts.

So, Gwyneth, you’ve figured out the secret of working parents everywhere: Livin’ la vida desk job is a breeze compared to the 14-hour days of a film set. Fourteen hours? Who in New York — especially those in the finance, law and tech professions — could possibly work 14 whole hours?

Luckily, those 9-to-5 “ordinary job” hours grow on trees here.

And if you lose one, all you have to do is find another.

Yours,
    Mackenzie

A working mom’s open letter to Gwyneth | New York Post

A shower at 6 am? Somewhere a woman just walked three miles to get water for her kids from a well. She thinks Mackenzie's letter is as full of whiny bullshit as Mackenzie thinks Gwyneth complaints are.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Well if the woman in WCGs example was smart she would have snared a man to make that 3 mile walk for her.
    witchcurlgirl and kasippu like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    A shower at 6 am? Somewhere a woman just walked three miles to get water for her kids from a well. She thinks Mackenzie's letter is as full of whiny bullshit as Mackenzie thinks Gwyneth complaints are.
    The more salient issue there IMO is that the third-world mother--and women here in the U.S. living in poverty--don't have a voice to participate in these arguments or get attention and sympathy for their plight. And help.

But Goopy brought up presumably middle-class office-working moms, and one responded.

The office mom didn't say that she envied women in the third world or in poverty because, say, their lives were so much simpler without all this technology and fattening food. That sort of thing would have been the parallel to Goopy's statements.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Eh she is the one who keeps dragging "normals" into things by comparing her lot to theirs/ours. I think her general message is fuzzy because she doesn't rely on the needed expertise of her handlers. But what message I do make out comes off like, I am like you peons bc I do all the ordinary things you do, but I am way better at it and a wealthy actress besides, so I am like a super version of you. Her message isn't a straightforward, unambiguous "I'm above all that." I'd prefer that.
    Pretty much the way I see it too. I've really never spent time comparing my life to hers, thanks, and I don't begrudge her a thing, but really, just stfu about how we're all the same...well no not really, not quite because I'm Gwynnie and my life is well...better than yours, but at least you have your daily drudgery and routine which I'll never have. I can't pretend like I make $25k a year, people! GMAFB.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

People should just stop trying to make goopy understand how "real' people live. It's not like she's going to read that and go,"Oh my god,people live like this?? I had no idea!" I definitely couldn't be bothered enough to write an impassioned open letter telling her (or the world) how wrong she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    The more salient issue there IMO is that the third-world mother--and women here in the U.S. living in poverty--don't have a voice to participate in these arguments or get attention and sympathy for their plight. And help.

But Goopy brought up presumably middle-class office-working moms, and one responded.

The office mom didn't say that she envied women in the third world or in poverty because, say, their lives were so much simpler without all this technology and fattening food. That sort of thing would have been the parallel to Goopy's statements.
    All of this and especially the bolded. I think the response is funny, too.

but I can't get all worked up about the goopster. I agree with the sentiment that she is who she is, and I think she is amusingly deluded. I also think in her own way she is sincere and has no real idea (sometimes) that she is offensive.

Gwynnie didn't say she envied average moms either. ~shrugs~ I guess people read into it what they want it to say.
    sputnik likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I don't care if she relates to the average person or not. She's still an insufferable twat.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information