Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow: Being a mom may hurt a career

Rosamund

"It has given me a lifeline, because I had taken a long time off work," said Paltrow. "Going from being a mother at home for a long time, which was the greatest time in my life, but also feel like an artist again ... that was a gift for me."

She makes it sound like she stayed at home for years; however, I'm pretty sure she went back to work by the time Apple was a year old. Maybe they don't count because they weren't large parts in blockbusters or Cannes entries?

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Word. Spend some time in the real world.

You know, these people DO live in the real world, it just isn't our world. It's like someone from Ethiopia telling a middle class soccer mom that she doesn't live in the real world. It's all the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

You know, these people DO live in the real world, it just isn't our world. It's like someone from Ethiopia telling a middle class soccer mom that she doesn't live in the real world. It's all the real world.
    exactly.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post

No, it's not the real world. It's a false world that was created around these people who are somehow deemed "better" than everyone else. There is nothing normal, real, or healthy about it. There are some celebs who manage to keep both feet on the ground. Most of them don't.

At the very least, Gwyneth needs to stop acting like she knows what it means to really, really work. FWIW: A middle class soccer mom is more likely to try and help someone from Ethiopia than an obscenely wealthy celebrity.

Celebs are just like the people in the Gilded Age--a gross sense of entitlement, a grotesque amount of money, and wasteful habits. It's not the real world, and if it is, it needs to change. It never will. No, I'm not a communist, but I'm tired of excusing celebrities when they are spoiled out of their f*cking minds.

Oh I just wished she can just STFU-

Her career is doing pretty well- Iron Man and now she signed up to do a King Lear with Anthony Hopkins as well as a rumoured Broadway play.
    I think when she in her 40's she would probably have more difficulties getting roles - but with her rep and connections I think she will do well.

Elite Member

Gwyneth dear, being a mother is a career.

Gold Member

Gwenyth is full of shit, she dosent know how hard it is. Yeah we have it much tougher because we are living in a diffrent "planet" then most of these assholes and when they get the rug pulled out from under them they want to kill themselves.

Gwenyth has no idea what it feels like to be a TRUE working mom, a true working mom cant afford 200,000 a year nannies. They cant afford to go off from their kids for a year to do a film. Yes in their field younger stars come up all the time, but its not as true, as she is trying to make it. Since her fake british ass STILL has a sucessful career. Still has her choice of roles and she didnt have to lose shit just because she gave birth to her children. She wasnt worried about medical/dental coverage, paying the mortage or anything of the sort. I'm sure she and her rich hubby live in a 2 million dollar home with 5 rooms and 8 bathrooms. So cry me a river.

She is the most disgusting bitch period. I have never seen anyone so UNGRATEFUL, and talk absolute shit like she does. How the fuck Brad and Ben Affleck could stand to be around her for as long as they did, is a miracle.

I just loved when she had the nerve to play "Marriage Counselor" with Jennifer Aniston.

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyMoon View Post
    Gwyneth dear, being a mother is a career.
    not to get into that whole debate again, but that's not the point. you don't hear people saying 'being a father is a career', and expecting them to stay home and give up their professional careers. if you choose to stay at home, fine, but a lot of women don't (or can't) and it sucks that they face discrimination just because they have kids.

i just don't get all the bitter jellus hate of people with money. i wish i had that much money and never had to work another day in my life or worry about money, but that doesn't mean i hate those who do. or that i somehow think that, because they have money, they are automatically 100% happy and never know another worry again in their lives, or that women don't face discrimination. that's just stupid. no offence.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

About the "bitter jellus hate" of people with money, it mostly comes out when they say plaintive shit that sounds totally ungrateful of their privileged circumstances, and which 90% or more of the people who read it could NEVER relate to precisely because they will never be anywhere near as privileged. She really needs to think before she says anything that sounds like complaining in interviews because she does it all the time, and that's why people hate her.

However, in this particular instance, I think her comment was specifically couched within the context of Hollywood and how it's notoriously fickle. Which is fair enough. There will always be someone younger and prettier, no one's star status is guaranteed--I think she was merely acknowledging that here.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    not to get into that whole debate again, but that's not the point. you don't hear people saying 'being a father is a career', and expecting them to stay home and give up their professional careers. if you choose to stay at home, fine, but a lot of women don't (or can't) and it sucks that they face discrimination just because they have kids.
    Very true.

I love my kids, but I don't consider being a mother my career. It's more like a life sentence.

A*O

Even if Gwynnie wasn't a highly paid actress and decided to stay home and raise her kids, she's still married to a multi-millionaire popstar who can probably pay the cable and gas bills anyway.

I take her point that motherhood DOES interfere with most women's careers to a greater or lesser extent (it totally fucked mine but that's OK, it was my choice) but she has no clue what that really means to 'ordinary people' so she needs to shut up already.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

FWIW: A middle class soccer mom is more likely to try and help someone from Ethiopia than an obscenely wealthy celebrity.
    Oh, come on. There is no evidence of that at all. It is a biased assumption. I don't deny the ungrateful, entitled bratiness of most of these people. But just because I don't live their experience doesn't make their experience less real, just much less common and attainable.

I don't understand the problem here; what did she say that was so bad?

How can anyone really say how real her life is when we clearly don't know her. That I don't understand either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I don't understand the problem here; what did she say that was so bad?
    Nothing, imo.

^ I didn't think so either, just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information