Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree415Likes

Thread: Glee actress Naya Rivera is missing, presumed dead, after boat ride

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    That poor baby. He will never forget this as long as he lives.

Maybe that combination of drugs and the tiny amount of alcohol made her vertigo flare up? Or the fact that it was hot or the fact maybe she hadn't eaten enough, especially if she was taking an appetite suppressant.

What is a filled prescription slip? Either you have the slip or you have the prescription? And what was the pink fluid in the syringe? I don't know anything about phentermine.
    She was found several days after her death, and in the water, so the alcohol percentage may be misleading. If she was alive that would be a super low bac- 0.016 is the exact rate that alcohol metabolizes in the body and she’d be at 0.000 within an hour. But the body also can produce alcohol post-mortem from bacteria. Or, she was more intoxicated than we know. The BAC is less helpful several days after death.

No one should be combining alcohol with the other meds she was taking though, especially while swimming, especially with a child present. Even if those meds were in therapeutic quantities.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I kinda feel this 'shines a light' on the prevalent eating disorders in Hollywood. Carrying all that stuff around on her day off with her son when it was family time and she was gorgeous anyway.

Not having a pop at her because it's industry-wide and they'd probably rather you didn't see it.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

^^^ This. Many lifetimes ago, in the first few months I started working as a PA for a 'bigwig' at one of the major studios, I worked closely with a studio VP. She was a veteran in the business, well-regarded and/or feared by colleagues, pleasant and almost terrifyingly competent. She was also rail thin, and still, 30-odd years later, probably the most tightly controlled human being I have ever met. She was also very open about her heavy dependence on Xanax to combat extreme OCD. She took them like they were Tic-Tacs.

One night, we worked even later than usual, but managed to finally complete a huge and annoying project. We were both exhausted, but really pleased about our success, and then she opened a drawer and with a flourish brought out two rock glasses and a bottle of whiskey. She laughed at my surprised expression and said, "We deserve this - this project was impossible, and yet we pulled it off when nobody else could!" I smiled, but gingerly replied, "But, what about the Xanax - you can't drink alcohol with it, can you?"

I swear, the look she gave me was filled with pity. "Oh," she said, "That is so sweet. Sometimes I forget you are still a Midwest girl at heart." She wasn't being a 'mean girl' - she was genuinely touched by what she considered my glaring naivety. She poured me a shot, and herself a double that she immediately downed. Then she began the process of my enlightenment by telling story after story, about person after person, and their drug, alcohol and sex use and abuse, that truly did make me feel like I was in fourth grade and finding out about sex for the first time. I didn't stop her, either - from drinking or talking - because this gossip... rocked.
    fgg, SHELLEE, sputnik and 12 others like this.

fgg

why did she need all of that stuff with her on a day boat rental trip with her son? i find drinking alcohol and whatever else she might have been impaired with extremely irresponsible while being the only adult with a child.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

She also shouldn't have jumped in the water with him without a life jacket.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    ^^^ This. Many lifetimes ago, in the first few months I started working as a PA for a 'bigwig' at one of the major studios, I worked closely with a studio VP. She was a veteran in the business, well-regarded and/or feared by colleagues, pleasant and almost terrifyingly competent. She was also rail thin, and still, 30-odd years later, probably the most tightly controlled human being I have ever met. She was also very open about her heavy dependence on Xanax to combat extreme OCD. She took them like they were Tic-Tacs.

One night, we worked even later than usual, but managed to finally complete a huge and annoying project. We were both exhausted, but really pleased about our success, and then she opened a drawer and with a flourish brought out two rock glasses and a bottle of whiskey. She laughed at my surprised expression and said, "We deserve this - this project was impossible, and yet we pulled it off when nobody else could!" I smiled, but gingerly replied, "But, what about the Xanax - you can't drink alcohol with it, can you?"

I swear, the look she gave me was filled with pity. "Oh," she said, "That is so sweet. Sometimes I forget you are still a Midwest girl at heart." She wasn't being a 'mean girl' - she was genuinely touched by what she considered my glaring naivety. She poured me a shot, and herself a double that she immediately downed. Then she began the process of my enlightenment by telling story after story, about person after person, and their drug, alcohol and sex use and abuse, that truly did make me feel like I was in fourth grade and finding out about sex for the first time. I didn't stop her, either - from drinking or talking - because this gossip... rocked.
    i'm always a little shocked by the amount of pharmaceuticals so many people are on. and i say this as someone who did a lot of recreational drugs in my youth. i have a lot of friends who have klonopin and xanax prescriptions and take them regularly, or adderall for ADHD that may or may not be real. and i have a shitload of anxiety too but i just don't want to be medicated for it. for some of them that's normal, but they would never touch a recreational drug and they view that as totally taboo.

i had a similar experience as you and your co-worker but about recreational drugs, and i was on the other side of that conversation. i recently read 'trick mirror' by jia tolentino (collection of essays and absolutely amazing, shoudl be required reading for anyone living in the US in 2020) and i was discussing it with a friend who was also reading it and she said she was shocked by how often and how casually tolentino references drugs in her essays (she's a pot smoker and did some E and psychedelics, plus codeine cough syrup while in high school in houston). i told my friend that hadn't really struck me as unusual since it was basically my experience with drugs - i basically tried everything except heroin, meth and crack. no pills though, with the exception of codeine cough pills in high school. my friend was kind of shocked. i was kind of shocked that she made it to 45 without ever taking any drugs. in fact, i gave her her first edible.
    the point is, my drug experience was pretty common in the circles i ran in, and my friend had a very sheltered/well behaved experience. but my friend had never considered her experience as particularly sheltered - she's not from a religious background or anything, it's just that she was never part of a social circle where drugs were common. there was alcohol and she had been around people smoking pot but never tried it, and that was it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Same here, sput. Starting in high school, I think we did just about everything but heroin or meth. Quaaludes were big. I don't think crack had been invented yet, there was a lot of cocaine later on but I don't remember anyone smoking it. After I left for college, I knew some people from high school who got into heroin and a few who died from it. Luckily I had totally distanced myself from those people by then.

Now my only vice is drinking. I can't even smoke pot anymore, it just makes me paranoid and stupid.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^i've never did drugs, but i know i'm weird. like super weird.
    i try to be cautious because i think i have an addictive personality and i'm a sissy. i don't drink alcohol either because i don't like the taste (i love amarula and white russians though that i drink on ocassions).
    my drug of choice i think is chocolate and bread, i'm so basic lol

edited: this was a reply to sputnik's post

The only drug I ever tried was weed, and even that I didnít try until I had graduated college. Drinking and doing drugs in high school for me was unthinkable. At that time, even something as minor as weed or drinking a beer was just something I would have never considered. My classmates did a lot of drugs though.

One thing Iíve found really interesting in my work is that kids in the inner city do not usually drink or do any drugs other than weed, and the ones who smoke weed are NOT the majority. They also donít drink. And this is kids within the juvenile system. They grow up surrounded by drugs and can easily find them but they are generally staunchly anti-drug use as teens. I can count on one hand kids Iíve represented who have used drugs. Meanwhile in the suburbs, the kids are doing drugs left and right. Itís something we talk about at work all the time.
    Last edited by NickiDrea; September 14th, 2020 at 04:55 PM.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

^^^ That's fascinating, but I guess not shocking... no, I am kinda shocked. It totally smashes the stereotype of urban juveniles, doesn't it? I'm really interested to hear more of your thoughts about it, Nickidrea. (For the record, the suburban kids doing lots of drugs does not surprise me at all.)
    sputnik and crayzeehappee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    The only drug I ever tried was weed, and even that I didnít try until I had graduated college. Drinking and doing drugs in high school for me was unthinkable. At that time, even something as minor as weed or drinking a beer was just something I would have never considered. My classmates did a lot of drugs though.

One thing Iíve found really interesting in my work is that kids in the inner city do not usually drink or do any drugs other than weed, and the ones who smoke weed are NOT the majority. They also donít drink. And this is kids within the juvenile system. They grow up surrounded by drugs and can easily find them but they are generally staunchly anti-drug use as teens. I can count on one hand kids Iíve represented who have used drugs. Meanwhile in the suburbs, the kids are doing drugs left and right. Itís something we talk about at work all the time.
    My experience was the same--I simply didn't belong to social circles that drank or used drugs in high school. If I had, I would have definitely tried them, which happened in college.

The other thing that I feel was a big factor in my not having drugs available--drugs are expensive. Weed and alcohol too. In addition to being sheltered, my family just didn't have the money for vices.

Re: Naya, this just saddens me even more for her poor little boy. It would definitely make me anti-everything if I grew up without my mom because of all those intoxicants.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Same here, sput. Starting in high school, I think we did just about everything but heroin or meth. Quaaludes were big. I don't think crack had been invented yet, there was a lot of cocaine later on but I don't remember anyone smoking it. After I left for college, I knew some people from high school who got into heroin and a few who died from it. Luckily I had totally distanced myself from those people by then.

Now my only vice is drinking. I can't even smoke pot anymore, it just makes me paranoid and stupid.
    Iíve never been addicted to drugs, but Iíve tried just about everything except heroin. Crack tastes like steel wool and plastic, and the smoke would burn your chest, and your fingers too.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

czb

have never done crack, meth, heroin, quaaludes. never injected anything.

i'm one of the few people i know who isn't currently on a pharmaceutical to maintain mental wellbeing. but i think SSRIs are probably on the uptake during the pandemic. at least that is my assumption since i've never seen so many depressed people.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I’ve never been addicted to drugs, but I’ve tried just about everything except heroin. Crack tastes like steel wool and plastic, and the smoke would burn your chest, and your fingers too.
    Yeah, I've never been addicted either. I know there are people who go from opioids to heroin but personally, I don't get it. The last few years when I went through diverticulitis and surgery, I took a lot of opioids and damn, I needed them for the pain. But I always tried to be careful and only took what I needed, even when they gave me a morphine pump in the hospital. It's not like I enjoyed the high, I just wanted pain relief. I actually worried about addiction because of what you hear. But once I recovered, it was fine. No crazy drug seeking or anything like that.
    SHELLEE and palta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Yeah, I've never been addicted either. I know there are people who go from opioids to heroin but personally, I don't get it. The last few years when I went through diverticulitis and surgery, I took a lot of opioids and damn, I needed them for the pain. But I always tried to be careful and only took what I needed, even when they gave me a morphine pump in the hospital. It's not like I enjoyed the high, I just wanted pain relief. I actually worried about addiction because of what you hear. But once I recovered, it was fine. No crazy drug seeking or anything like that.
    Same with me, when I was waiting for hip surgery and after the surgeries, I took the opioids for the pain, once it was gone I no longer needed or craved them. I must say though, that I did love the dilaudid shots that they gave me while in the hospital.
    czb and Trixie like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information