Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree460Likes

Thread: Glee actress Naya Rivera is missing, presumed dead, after boat ride

Wonder why she didn't anchor the boat.

Elite Member

I have to agree with CZB. I swam before I walked (literally) and became a certified lifeguard at 15 and remain so to this day.

Knowing how to swim and being a strong swimmer are two very different things. Knowing what to do in an undertow or rip tide is one thing applying that knowledge and skill in real life is another.

I was taught very young to never swim alone, never swim at night and absolutely never swim if I was drinking. I have a really healthy respect for the dangers.

Personally if I was with a young child in the water alone, I’d wear my vest as well. You just never what can and will go wrong. I also wouldn’t swim in a public space that did not have a dedicated swim area and lifeguards.

It’s not at all victim blaming but a teachable moment. A sad one but still teachable.
    Trixie, czb, I'mNotBitter and 7 others like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^ My aunt's sister in law was a championship swimmer. She drowned while swimming in a local dam. No matter how good you are, the danger is always there.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

My mom is not a swimmer but she made sure that my brother and I learned she sent us to summer camp.
    czb and sputnik like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    ^^ My aunt's sister in law was a championship swimmer. She drowned while swimming in a local dam. No matter how good you are, the danger is always there.
    Exactly and best course of action is to try and mitigate the potential dangers.
    czb and mopar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    My mom is not a swimmer but she made sure that my brother and I learned she sent us to summer camp.
    My mother was terrified of the water after a horrible experience when she was just a child - the swimming instructor held her under the water because she was afraid to completely dunk herself. My brother, sister, and I all took swimming lessons when we were very young and we all loved the water and swimming. The thing is, this is where my mom got her super-hero cape, because she was so determined to make swimmers out of us, that none of us knew until we were in our teens that she couldn't swim.

After my parents retired to Palm Springs, she took lessons at their clubhouse pool and overcame enough of her fear to dog paddle and even to plug her nose and go under. She was in her 70's. What a woman.
    SHELLEE, palta, KrisNine and 5 others like this.

^i was terrified of the water when i was a kid, but i had no reason at all.
    i didn't want to get close to the ocean during vacations, i just played with the sand.
    my parents sent me to swimming lessons and i used to sit outside the pool with all my gear on lol.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by palta View Post
    ^i was terrified of the water when i was a kid, but i had no reason at all.
    i didn't want to get close to the ocean during vacations, i just played with the sand.
    my parents sent me to swimming lessons and i used to sit outside the pool with all my gear on lol.
    Aww... poor baby...

palta and twitchy2.0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    My mother was terrified of the water after a horrible experience when she was just a child - the swimming instructor held her under the water because she was afraid to completely dunk herself. My brother, sister, and I all took swimming lessons when we were very young and we all loved the water and swimming. The thing is, this is where my mom got her super-hero cape, because she was so determined to make swimmers out of us, that none of us knew until we were in our teens that she couldn't swim.

After my parents retired to Palm Springs, she took lessons at their clubhouse pool and overcame enough of her fear to dog paddle and even to plug her nose and go under. She was in her 70's. What a woman.
    When I was in elementary school, our class went on a trip to the city pool for swimming lessons. The swim teacher pushed me into the pool after I asked if I could go to the bathroom first because she thought I was stalling. After I sputtered out of the water and managed somehow to make it out of the pool, first thing I did was go to the bathroom because I legitimately had to pee. I never did learn how to swim...
    palta, BITTER, Lalasnake and 1 others like this.

^what an asshole!
    you should have peed in the pool lol
    BITTER, Lalasnake and lindsaywhit like this.

If my feet can’t touch the bottom I panic.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post

Good for your mom...it takes a lot of courage to overcome a pathological fear like that.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Heartbreaking details surrounding the death of Naya Rivera have been revealed as the Ventura County Medical Examiner has released the Glee star's full autopsy and investigative reports.

According to the investigative report obtained by PEOPLE, Rivera's 4-year-old son Josey — whom she shared with ex-husband Ryan Dorsey — said that before the star disappeared into the water and drowned, they counted "1, 2, 3" and jumped off the pontoon boat together at Lake Piru in Ventura County, California, on July 8.

After getting into the water, Josey said his mother told him to get back on the boat, according to the report.

"She helped him onto the boat and then he then heard [Naya] yell 'help' and she put her arm in the air. She then disappeared into the water," the investigative report states.

Officials also noted in the investigative report that while Rivera was in good health, she had a history of vertigo "that would get worse when she was in the water."

"The decedent would have vertigo to the point of vomiting, but she learned to control the symptoms with antihistamines," the report states.

Rivera had been treated at Cedars Sinai hospital for vertigo prior to her death.

The investigative report also reveals that Rivera had been prescribed adderall for anxiety and was recently taking medication for a sinus infection. Additionally, Rivera "used a marijuana vape pen and she would smoke about a pack of cigarettes per week," the report states.

According to her autopsy report, Rivera had "no known history of suicidal ideation or attempt."

The actress was also "considered to be a good swimmer," the autopsy report states. Her cause of death remains a drowning and the manner of death was ruled as an accident.
    The Ventura County Medical Examiner also released Rivera's toxicology report, which reveals the actress had low-level amounts of amphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine), diazepam, ethanol and phentermine (an appetite suppressant) in her system, as well as caffeine, at the time of her death. According to the toxicology report, her blood alcohol concentration was 0.016.

"[Naya's] cell phone, syringes with a pink fluid substance, identification, and a filled prescription slip for amphetamine was found in [her] purse. Three 12 ounce White Claw alcohol cans were located near [her] purse. One of the cans was empty, one was open and was about 3⁄4 full, and one was unopened. There was a bag with food items on a bench seat near the front of the boat," the investigative report states.

https://people.com/tv/naya-rivera-so...owned-autopsy/

That poor baby. He will never forget this as long as he lives.

Maybe that combination of drugs and the tiny amount of alcohol made her vertigo flare up? Or the fact that it was hot or the fact maybe she hadn't eaten enough, especially if she was taking an appetite suppressant.

What is a filled prescription slip? Either you have the slip or you have the prescription? And what was the pink fluid in the syringe? I don't know anything about phentermine.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I assume the pink fluid isnt identified yet. Phentermine is used to assist with weight loss for obsese people - she definately didnt need that especially not with her history with Eating Disorders.
    rollo likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information