Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 102
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: Glee actress Naya Rivera is missing, presumed dead, after boat ride

  1. #76
    Elite Member Moongirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cal-i-for-nigh-ay!
    Posts
    9,161

    Default

    When this first happened, my daughter was telling me that she read somewhere that there's a family who had a daughter drown in that same lake, and has been lobbying for signs to be posted about the dangers of swimming there due to the underwater trees.
    Lalasnake likes this.

  2. #77
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    13,860

    Default

    I still think it's strange that a woman and small child, neither of whom could swim, went boating on that lake - from the video, it's not exactly the most picturesque place (looks like an old quarry or a mine they filled in with all those bare hillsides). Unless they were huge boating enthusiasts, it just seems like a strange thing to do, like there must be a million better, safer and prettier places to swim in California.

    But I've never been to this lake so what do I know, it might be the most gorgeous place on earth.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."



  3. #78
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    16,879

    Default

    ^ Naya could swim and had been there many times before apparently

  4. #79
    Elite Member Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    exiled and ostrich sized
    Posts
    21,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Very tragic. I don't know much about the way water behaves in lakes, but I've never heard of riptides in lakes. I was reading somewhere that they also have whirlpools in this lake.

    We have lots of pools and beaches around here with signs warning adults not to swim alone (or alone with a small child).
    I don't know about other lakes, but there are definitely riptides in the Great Lakes. I'm at Lake Michigan and there have been 2 or 3 drownings the last few weeks. Public beaches, but not all of them have lifeguards all the time. I believe they put signs up when it's not safe for swimming but people get in the water anyway. Usually teens or young adults. They just don't realize how powerful that undertow can be.

    Quote Originally Posted by electrocuted_sheep View Post
    Apparently this lake is 60-70 ft deep and has FULL-GROWN TREES growing underneath the surface. So one can imagine that one can easily get tangled while swimming in the lake. I hope this place has signs warning swimmers of that potential danger because if not, that is just wrong...
    When they didn't find her right away, I wondered if her body had gotten tangled up in the underwater trees.

    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I still think it's strange that a woman and small child, neither of whom could swim, went boating on that lake - from the video, it's not exactly the most picturesque place (looks like an old quarry or a mine they filled in with all those bare hillsides). Unless they were huge boating enthusiasts, it just seems like a strange thing to do, like there must be a million better, safer and prettier places to swim in California.

    But I've never been to this lake so what do I know, it might be the most gorgeous place on earth.
    Yeah, not trying to victim blame, but it doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. Especially if she got in the water with the child without a life vest herself. They could've just taken a boat ride and stayed out of the water. It's very lucky that he survived.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~



  5. #80
    czb
    czb is online now
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    17,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ Naya could swim and had been there many times before apparently
    ok. i thought someone upthread said she couldn't.
    regardless, i'm a strong swimmer but i probably wouldn't go to some deserted lake by myself with my kids (and mine can also swim). even with lifevests, any number of things could happen. but i don't want to victim blame, this is just tragic.

  6. #81
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I still think it's strange that a woman and small child, neither of whom could swim, went boating on that lake - from the video, it's not exactly the most picturesque place (looks like an old quarry or a mine they filled in with all those bare hillsides). Unless they were huge boating enthusiasts, it just seems like a strange thing to do, like there must be a million better, safer and prettier places to swim in California.

    But I've never been to this lake so what do I know, it might be the most gorgeous place on earth.
    Naya could swim and so could Josey. There are dozens of pictures and videos of them in water. She went here often according to her family. I don't believe she would put her kid in danger in a new surrounding that she didn't know or trust. They went to Hawaii last summer together just the two of them.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  7. #82
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    23,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I still think it's strange that a woman and small child, neither of whom could swim, went boating on that lake - from the video, it's not exactly the most picturesque place (looks like an old quarry or a mine they filled in with all those bare hillsides). Unless they were huge boating enthusiasts, it just seems like a strange thing to do, like there must be a million better, safer and prettier places to swim in California.

    But I've never been to this lake so what do I know, it might be the most gorgeous place on earth.
    You're not wrong. I thought the same thing. This is basically a lake that was formed when they constructed a dam. I've never been, but this time of year those hillsides are ugly and bleak. Not a picturesque area.

    Even a strong swimmer should not swim alone. I've personally never been to Lake Piru, but none of that area appeals to me. It's dry and barren most of the year, until we get the winter rains. I've been reading a lot of people commenting how in the years past, there was a dedicated swimming area, perhaps away from those trees. Also, there is a little beach there that most of the campers/rv'ers used.
    czb likes this.

  8. #83
    czb
    czb is online now
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    17,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Naya could swim and so could Josey. There are dozens of pictures and videos of them in water. She went here often according to her family. I don't believe she would put her kid in danger in a new surrounding that she didn't know or trust. They went to Hawaii last summer together just the two of them.
    being able to swim and being able to swim in open water are two different things.

    going to HI is not the same as this. i don't want to blame this woman (i know nothing about her) and it is a tragedy. i am just saying this about swimming because maybe it would prevent an accident with someone else. i was a professional lifeguard back in the day (pool and ocean experience) and i wouldn't put my family in this situation.

    i'll never forget, one time mr czb and i, many moons ago, went camping in back country yosemite, by ourselves. very remote. it was amazing, going day-by-day doing 10+ mile hikes and never seeing another person. i remember there was some lake, not huge but mr czb wanted to go there and catch fish for dinner (he is a very experienced fly-fisherman but not the strongest swimmer). i remember i was on high alert. and this wasn't a lake with trees growing in it and not as deep as piru. but dude fell off the dock with his FULL BACKPACK on. like 70+ lbs. i freaked out and bolted to the end of the dock. mr czb just stood up in the water and LAUGHED at me. big bad lifeguard freaking out. it sounds goofy but my point is anything can happen in open water.

  9. #84
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    being able to swim and being able to swim in open water are two different things.

    going to HI is not the same as this. i don't want to blame this woman (i know nothing about her) and it is a tragedy. i am just saying this about swimming because maybe it would prevent an accident with someone else. i was a professional lifeguard back in the day (pool and ocean experience) and i wouldn't put my family in this situation.

    i'll never forget, one time mr czb and i, many moons ago, went camping in back country yosemite, by ourselves. very remote. it was amazing, going day-by-day doing 10+ mile hikes and never seeing another person. i remember there was some lake, not huge but mr czb wanted to go there and catch fish for dinner (he is a very experienced fly-fisherman but not the strongest swimmer). i remember i was on high alert. and this wasn't a lake with trees growing in it and not as deep as piru. but dude fell off the dock with his FULL BACKPACK on. like 70+ lbs. i freaked out and bolted to the end of the dock. mr czb just stood up in the water and LAUGHED at me. big bad lifeguard freaking out. it sounds goofy but my point is anything can happen in open water.
    It sounds like you are blaming her for her death. She trusted this place where she went often, something happened she saved her kid and she died.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  10. #85
    czb
    czb is online now
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    17,635

    Default

    no, i am not blaming her.

    please read what i wrote.
    dexter7 likes this.

  11. #86
    Elite Member Geest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    I read it somewhere that they went for a swim off the boat, the boat drifted away, they had to swim to get back on it, she managed to push her son onboard but then slipped under and had no more energy to come back up...

    It is a tragedy, a tragic accident and a lesson to others what precautions you need take or dangers you might need to think of when going out on a boat trip alone (and a dependent person). It did make me think of scenarios I'd have never otherwise.

    This really resonated with me for some reason.

    Poor family

  12. #87
    Elite Member GRuser1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geest View Post
    I read it somewhere that they went for a swim off the boat, the boat drifted away, they had to swim to get back on it, she managed to push her son onboard but then slipped under and had no more energy to come back up...

    It is a tragedy, a tragic accident and a lesson to others what precautions you need take or dangers you might need to think of when going out on a boat trip alone (and a dependent person). It did make me think of scenarios I'd have never otherwise.

    This really resonated with me for some reason.

    Poor family
    I am near lakes and a big river and so many accidents happen as a combination of people overestimating their swimming abilities and underestimating how dangerous a lake or a river can be.
    This is in no way meant to blame the victims: I am sure that everyone who isn't an expert is at risk of having the exact same thought process because these bodies of water look a lot less dangerous than they actually are.
    It's not that different to domestic accidents in a way: we aren't careful enough and underestimate the dangers.
    lindsaywhit, czb, KrisNine and 3 others like this.

  13. #88
    Elite Member lindsaywhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    being able to swim and being able to swim in open water are two different things.

    going to HI is not the same as this. i don't want to blame this woman (i know nothing about her) and it is a tragedy. i am just saying this about swimming because maybe it would prevent an accident with someone else. i was a professional lifeguard back in the day (pool and ocean experience) and i wouldn't put my family in this situation.

    i'll never forget, one time mr czb and i, many moons ago, went camping in back country yosemite, by ourselves. very remote. it was amazing, going day-by-day doing 10+ mile hikes and never seeing another person. i remember there was some lake, not huge but mr czb wanted to go there and catch fish for dinner (he is a very experienced fly-fisherman but not the strongest swimmer). i remember i was on high alert. and this wasn't a lake with trees growing in it and not as deep as piru. but dude fell off the dock with his FULL BACKPACK on. like 70+ lbs. i freaked out and bolted to the end of the dock. mr czb just stood up in the water and LAUGHED at me. big bad lifeguard freaking out. it sounds goofy but my point is anything can happen in open water.
    Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    It sounds like you are blaming her for her death. She trusted this place where she went often, something happened she saved her kid and she died.
    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    no, i am not blaming her.

    please read what i wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geest View Post
    I read it somewhere that they went for a swim off the boat, the boat drifted away, they had to swim to get back on it, she managed to push her son onboard but then slipped under and had no more energy to come back up...

    It is a tragedy, a tragic accident and a lesson to others what precautions you need take or dangers you might need to think of when going out on a boat trip alone (and a dependent person). It did make me think of scenarios I'd have never otherwise.

    This really resonated with me for some reason.

    Poor family
    It isn't 'blaming' Naya for her own death to use this very sad story as a cautionary tale. It is possible that by reviewing legitimate water safety issues in the midst of this tragedy, someone in the future may save themselves or others from the same fate. Water can be deadly, and sometimes we need a reminder. Naya heroically saved the life of her son and that should be her legacy. My heart goes out to her family and friends.
    czb, Lalasnake, KrisNine and 5 others like this.


  14. #89
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    23,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    no, i am not blaming her.

    please read what i wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRuser1 View Post
    I am near lakes and a big river and so many accidents happen as a combination of people overestimating their swimming abilities and underestimating how dangerous a lake or a river can be.
    This is in no way meant to blame the victims: I am sure that everyone who isn't an expert is at risk of having the exact same thought process because these bodies of water look a lot less dangerous than they actually are.
    It's not that different to domestic accidents in a way: we aren't careful enough and underestimate the dangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    It isn't 'blaming' Naya for her own death to use this very sad story as a cautionary tale. It is possible that by reviewing legitimate water safety issues in the midst of this tragedy, someone in the future may save themselves or others from the same fate. Water can be deadly, and sometimes we need a reminder. Naya heroically saved the life of her son and that should be her legacy. My heart goes out to her family and friends.
    I agree, I don't think it's blaming her for her own death. Southern California lifestyle is based around water and outdoor activities. There are so many times we see children drown in backyard pools and public pools. Many times right under the nose of several adults. This tragedy ended up resulting in the death of a parent. Anytime something like this happens, the accident is used as a cautionary tale and will even be used to enact changes to laws and safety procedures.

    This small lake in the middle of podunk has claimed a lot of lives over the years. Wikipedia says 12 deaths since 1994. I think lakes offer a false sense of security. Maybe it's not as dangerous as the ocean, but it's still dangerous.

  15. #90
    czb
    czb is online now
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    17,635

    Default

    in some ways, i think lakes are more dangerous. like you said, sometimes lakes offer a false sense of security because they appear calm. i remember i used to refuse lifeguarding jobs at lakes since they can be harder to watch than the ocean. the visibility is typically poor and people go out further than they should and frequently by themselves. that happens less frequently at the ocean (not saying it never happens, though). i remember there was a lake in the town i grew up in, it was considered a calm lake and in the summer they had several guards there. but there were always drownings, for the reasons i mentioned. fewer drownings in the ocean when i was guarding.
    KrisNine likes this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 6th, 2017, 08:35 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 4th, 2014, 10:00 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 21st, 2014, 10:45 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 17th, 2012, 05:39 PM
  5. Naya Rivera (Santana from Glee) eggs co-stars car
    By sluce in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •