Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: Glee actress Naya Rivera is missing, presumed dead, after boat ride

I really hope not, because why would she take her little boy with her then? She would have no way of knowing if he would make it back to the boat safely or be found quick enough if he made it back in the boat.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    I think this was a suicide. She has been struggling with mental health issues for a long time and she left her life vest in the boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I really hope not, because why would she take her little boy with her then? She would have no way of knowing if he would make it back to the boat safely or be found quick enough if he made it back in the boat.
    I really hope not too. I really don't know much about her or her mental state. I know she had a domestic battery charge against her ex a few years back but that's the extent of it. I don't really think the life vest being left necessarily means anything. Most of the boaters I know keep theirs on the boat in case of emergency but don't use them to jump off for a swim.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I wonder if the boy actually ever was in the water or if she just jumped in? It must be hard trying to get the full story from a child so young.

TMZ
    7/9 8:32 AM PT*-- Authorities have just made it clear -- Naya is presumed dead and the search has now shifted from a rescue to a recovery mission. She went missing in water with only 5 to 9 inches of visibility, and authorities say the lake is filled with trees and debris on the bottom. Law enforcement says it typically takes 7 to 10 days for a body to rise to the surface.
    Last edited by Sarzy; July 9th, 2020 at 11:33 AM.

I’ll be honest, the first thing I thought of is suicide. I know she’s struggled with mental health issues in the past. It’s an odd thing to do with your child, but it’s just the feeling I got. Of course, it could just be an accident.

Lake piru is an odd place for a woman and her young child to go alone. But then again, these are weird times we’re living in.
    Waterslide and tulip like this.

What is Lake Piru like? I assume it's remote?
    KrisNine likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I’ll be honest, the first thing I thought of is suicide. I know she’s struggled with mental health issues in the past. It’s an odd thing to do with your child, but it’s just the feeling I got. Of course, it could just be an accident.

Lake piru is an odd place for a woman and her young child to go alone. But then again, these are weird times we’re living in.
    Yeah, I don't think I'd go out on the lake with just a young kid and no other adults. Luckily he fell asleep instead of panicking and another boater saw him.

What's odd about this lake?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Just looked at Google maps and it's a bit off the beaten path. Looks like one small road leads to it from Highway 126. It looks inaccessible from the 5 (did I say that right?) which is the only other road in the area.
    KrisNine likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

It's such a vast area to search

^ Twitter fans are bitching that they didn't search hard/long enough before declaring her presumed dead. Yeah it's sad but I don't know what they expect, It's a very large area and poor water visibility they said. After this much time it's very unlikely she's floating around alive waiting to be rescued. She didn't have a life jacket on.

Elite Member

If this was suicide, the idea she did it with her kid there makes it all the more tragic. That poor little boy.
    fgg, DawnM74, Beeyotch and 1 others like this.

Scrolling through her Twitter, she does have an inspirational quote about tomorrow not being promised. But the rest of it is mostly pretty positive stuff about BLM and Pride and an odd story about reading the book of Genesis to her kid and the ground started shaking. It doesn't mean she wasn't depressed but there were no obvious red flags to me.

I think it's odd to take your 4 yr old with you to a remote location and possibly commit suicide but obviously I have no idea what was going through her mind.

^^^ I can't think of another similar case. Usually, when they go out in the middle of nowhere like that, they are about to kill their child, too. Maybe she was going to do that, but changed her mind. Drowning yourself is a pretty uncommon suicide technique, I think.
    Trixie, effie2, Waterslide and 4 others like this.

Planned murder/suicide did cross my mind too.
    Waterslide and Lalasnake like this.

Elite Member

Aw man, I follow her on IG and saw yesterday's post with her little guy. In following her, one thing I noticed is anytime she was in water she never went past her waist. That to me says she could not swim at all or was aware she wasn't a strong swimmer. I truly hope it wasn't suicide in front of her child. I'm thinking she went overboard and couldn't get back in the boat, water was over her head and she panicked. All supposition of course.
    Waterslide and Lalasnake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    What is Lake Piru like? I assume it's remote?
    It's fairly remote. More of a campground kind of area, if I'm remembering correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I'd go out on the lake with just a young kid and no other adults. Luckily he fell asleep instead of panicking and another boater saw him.

What's odd about this lake?
    It's not the lake itself that's so odd, it's more like the circumstances. Like you're saying, I don't think I would head out to this area alone with a 4 year old. It's not the biggest lake, but big enough to get into trouble without someone noticing. I know she rented the pontoon boat and I've heard two different stories about who found them. I heard other boaters noticed the boat (appearing to be empty) floating off course. Then I heard that the rental company went looking for her after the boat wasn't returned on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Just looked at Google maps and it's a bit off the beaten path. Looks like one small road leads to it from Highway 126. It looks inaccessible from the 5 (did I say that right?) which is the only other road in the area.
    Yes, you got it right. All our freeways in SoCal begin with "the". I think it's that this lake is pretty remote for a day trip with a kid for a few hours. There are other areas that are much closer. Two lakes right off the freeway. If you're looking to take a small child swimming, I don't know that the place to do it is in the middle of this lake, jumping off a pontoon boat. The whole thing just seems off to me. That's why I was thinking suicide. Maybe drugs involved or something.
    Waterslide and Trixie like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information