Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: German singer Nadja Benaissa arrested for spreading HIV knowingly

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    If I were single, I don't think I could bring myself to do it. Even if I really liked the person and everything else.

My brother met someone who was the nicest guy, very earnest and open, very upfront and he told my brother that he was HIV positive as soon as it was obvious the interest was mutual. My brother, who is 20, was shocked and conflicted so he asked me what I would do. I said it was his decision but I thought it was a bad idea because of the risk and the nature of the disease. It's not like herpes or something. HIV and AIDS are still horrible diseases that snuff out lives.

I would hate to be in that other guy's position, but I love my brother too much to say, well condoms will *probably* be okay.
    That's very sad I commend the guy for being open about it though, must be difficult to come clean since you know it's likely the relationship won't last.

I really hope a cure happens soon. We must be getting closer since we can now stop it progressing so fast. I heard a story recently that they've now discovered how it transfers through the body, so now they have some new info to work with. Fingers crossed!
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Since she knew she had AIDS, and didn't share that information with the guys who were about to have unprotected sex with her, then she deserves the public flogging. And the same would be true in reverse if she was an AIDS-infected guy having unprotected sex with women.

The guys were stupid for having unprotected sex, but had she told them she had a deadly virus, maybe they would've made a smarter decision.
    I agree. It's like a crappy car mechanic with a bad reputation knowing that the brakes don't work, but let the person drive off with the car. The person driving off might be stupid for bringing the car to a crappy mechanic with a bad reputation, but the mechanic still should have told the person before they drove off.
    "The most important question in all of human kind is..... would you hit it or not?" ~potato_chips

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Interesting. What did he wind up doing? I'm not sure I'd take that on myself (since the question was asked). First, I'd never be able to relax enough to enjoy sex because I'd always be worried about exposure. But also, I think it's a huge task to start a relationship with someone who has a chronic illness. You'd really have to be up to the task. I'm not sure I am.
    My brother ended up opting not to start any relationship with him. I was relieved for my brother, but I still found it heartbreaking that this guy was in for so much rejection for being honest and considerate enough to do the right thing by disclosing his HIV status to potential partners right off the bat. I can't imagine.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

I live in the gay area of Vancouver and most HIV+ people here are in relationships with other HIV+ people. I sense that the attitude down here is that it's a manageable disease and no longer considered a death sentence...
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    *Raises hand* Under 35 (just...) and went to school and I found out much more on my own than I ever did through school.

Part of the problem (IMHO) is the uptight, scaremongering anal retentives who scream like their hair is on fire every time any kind of sexual health initiative comes out, yelling their "it'll encourage promiscuity and teen pregnancy!!!" warcry to anyone within a 500 mile radius.
    LOL! You're in the UK aren't you? I'm 41 and I got the ubiquitous "ICEBERG" leaflet thrust at my by my pa as way of warning...
    (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...rn-645140.html)
    But then I lived in the US and a lot of people I knew were routinely having blood tests for drugs, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by pookie207 View Post
    I don't know about Germany, but don't you have to disclose who you may have infected for an std in the US?
    In the UK one is "advised" to tell but isn't obliged to as far as I am aware...

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    My brother ended up opting not to start any relationship with him. I was relieved for my brother, but I still found it heartbreaking that this guy was in for so much rejection for being honest and considerate enough to do the right thing by disclosing his HIV status to potential partners right off the bat. I can't imagine.
    How brave of his potential bf - and how heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    I live in the gay area of Vancouver and most HIV+ people here are in relationships with other HIV+ people. I sense that the attitude down here is that it's a manageable disease and no longer considered a death sentence...
    See, that's exactly the problem. Even though people KNOW it's a deadly disease, they think it won't happen to them, or that somehow it's still a 'manageable' disease and not that big of a deal compared to before. People nowadays seem to have a blase attitude about everything. People assume that just because medical technology has been making incredible advances, that a cure or vaccine might be available soon. They see 'success' stories of people living apparently healthy after HIV infection. So not only do they disregard the knowledge that HIV/AIDS is still a killer, they think it's nothing more than catching a cold or something. There just doesn't seem to be this level of urgency we saw decades ago when this virus became prominent, and that is NOT a good thing.

I don't know about Germany, but don't you have to disclose who you may have infected for an std in the US?
    You can get convicted with murder in Canada if you sleep with someone unprotected and not disclose to them.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    See, that's exactly the problem. Even though people KNOW it's a deadly disease, they think it won't happen to them, or that somehow it's still a 'manageable' disease and not that big of a deal compared to before. People nowadays seem to have a blase attitude about everything. People assume that just because medical technology has been making incredible advances, that a cure or vaccine might be available soon. They see 'success' stories of people living apparently healthy after HIV infection. So not only do they disregard the knowledge that HIV/AIDS is still a killer, they think it's nothing more than catching a cold or something. There just doesn't seem to be this level of urgency we saw decades ago when this virus became prominent, and that is NOT a good thing.

^ While it's a deadly disease, medical technology and understanding (at least my generation) about the disease seem to have come a long way. But one does wonder... if being HIV+ is so DEADLY... why in the hell is Magic Johnson still alive? And, frankly, looking so well?

The thing is, according to Johnson, he takes a daily combination of drugs from GlaxoSmithKline and Abbott Laboratories. That's how he "prevents" HIV from becoming AIDS - oh, I think that is something that one could assume would be "managing" the disease.

I'm not saying the woman in question isn't a criminal if the allegations are true, I'm not saying the guys are total idiots/naive asses for not protecting themselves, or that HIV isn't a threat/deadly disease...

I'm just saying, even though there isnt a "cure" - people can manage it... apparently Johnson has/is. Not unlike cancer or luekemia - IMO.

Sugar... The real gateway drug

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

If cancer was contagious I wouldn't sleep with the person who had, even if it is "manageable".
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

It doesn't matter if it's 'manageable'. You still spend your life monitoring it and taking various medications and dealing with the side effects... and that would have to diminish quality of life somehow.

No I would not sleep with someone that I knew was infected.
    I think she deserves a very harsh punishment she basically handed these guys a death sentence. This is why you wrap it up always! I know it sucks and for guys I guess it is like taking a bath in a raincoat but better than HIV or any other STD.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Headline - woman with HIV spreads it knowingly.

Wheres the debate? God forbid she was a man. It would be castrated before the trial.
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

I think it depends upon the health department in the city/state you live in. I tried to find something online that listed disclosure law, but came up short.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    If cancer was contagious I wouldn't sleep with the person who had, even if it is "manageable".
    Yeah coz all cancers are equally bad ... what a fucking stupid thing to say.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by potato_chips View Post
    I agree. It's like a crappy car mechanic with a bad reputation knowing that the brakes don't work, but let the person drive off with the car. The person driving off might be stupid for bringing the car to a crappy mechanic with a bad reputation, but the mechanic still should have told the person before they drove off.
    That's a poor analogy. You should assume everyone has an std whether you know about their reputation or not. If you are so concerend about getting an std, use condoms all the time or, gasp!, actually wait more than 30 minutes after meeting someone to screw them.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information