Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree565Likes

Thread: George Michael Has Passed

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post

R.I.P. George, part of my youth gone.
    Mine as well. Clearly remember being in driver's ed, cruising around the little track that was set up, with my best friend as my partner, who was also taking the class. In that car, I heard Faith for the first time. We weren't suppose to have the radio on, but of course we did. OMG how I loved being 16 and having that song in my life. His butt in that video...caused many little 16 year old hormones to go NUTS. At least mine did.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

^He was almost 1 year older than me and although looking back at his first clips with Wham (the ballerinas they wore, OMG) at first we just saw an attractive young guy we'd like to.... ya know.....

Like I said, I was surfing YouTube and was watching some Freddie Mercury clips and a documentary about him with quite a good lookalike. Now, with the news of George's passing, remember what a fantastic rendition he gave of Somebody To Love with the remaining members of Queen at that concert in memory of Freddie?

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I loved George Michael and I am very sorry to hear this.

Ex-Wham! singer George Michael dies

35 minutes ago
    From the section UK

Media captionAndy Moore takes a look back at George Michael's career

Singer George Michael has died aged 53, his publicist has said.

The star, who launched his career with Wham! in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".

Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT.

Police say they were treating the death as unexplained but there were no suspicious circumstances.

In a statement, Michael's publicist said: "It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period.

"The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage."

Obituary: George Michael

George Michael: A life in pictures

On Instagram, Sir Elton John posted a photograph of himself with Michael, writing: "I am in deep shock. I have lost a beloved friend - the kindest, most generous soul and a brilliant artist. My heart goes out to his family and all of his fans."

Thames Valley Police said: "At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious.

"A post-mortem will be undertaken in due course. There will be no further updates from Thames Valley Police until the post-mortem has taken place."
    Treatment for pneumonia

Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London, sold more than 100m albums throughout a career spanning almost four decades.

He first found fame with his schoolfriend Andrew Ridgeley in duo Wham! before going on to release solo albums, including the multi-million selling Faith and follow-up Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1.

It outsold Faith in the UK but led to Michael losing a court case with record label Sony over his frustration over how the album has been marketed.
    From teen idol to long-term stardom
    Image copyright PA

His talents as a singer, songwriter and music producer made George Michael one of the world's biggest-selling artists.

Blessed with good looks and a fine singing voice, his stage presence made him a favourite on the live concert circuit as he matured from teen idol to long term stardom.

But there were times when his battle with drugs and encounters with the police made lurid headlines that threatened to eclipse his musical talents.

Read more in George Michael's obituary

George Michael: A life in pictures

Michael scored seven number one singles in the UK with songs including Careless Whisper and Faith, and won three Brit Awards and two Grammys.

But as his career faded, Michael faced headlines for the wrong reasons.

In October 2006 he pleaded guilty to driving while unfit through drugs and was banned from driving and in 2008 he was cautioned for possession of class A drugs, including crack cocaine.

In September 2010 Michael received an eight-week prison sentence following an incident the previous July in which he crashed his Range Rover into a shop in north London.
    Image copyright PA
    Image caption George Michael and Andrew Ridgely first found fame with Wham! in the 1980s

Pop stars from Michael's heyday were joined by more contemporary names in paying tribute on Twitter.

ABC frontman Martin Fry said: "Absolutely devastated to hear of the loss of @GeorgeMichael Truly brilliant talent #sad #sad #sad."
    Image copyright Twitter

Duran Duran referred to the the so-called "curse of 2016" - following the deaths of David Bowie, Prince and Rick Parfitt - posting on their official Twitter account: "2016 - loss of another talented soul. All our love and sympathy to @GeorgeMichael's family."

The band included a picture of Michael with singer Simon Le Bon, Sting and Bob Geldof.
    Image copyright Twitter

Singer Pixie Lott tweeted: "Grew up listening to the beautiful and talented @GeorgeMichael - my mama's favourite! was a pleasure to meet him so sad to hear the news."

Fellow pop star La Roux wrote: "Another one gone.... What a voice, what a songwriter."

DJ Tony Blackburn said: "Unbelievable, George Michael has died at the age of 53. RIP.This dreadful year goes on and on. So sad, a real talent."
    George Michael's UK number one singles
    Image copyright PA

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go (with Wham!) - 1984
    Freedom (with Wham!) - 1984
    Careless Whisper - 1984
    I'm Your Man (with Wham!) - 1985
    The Edge of Heaven (with Wham!) - 1986
    A Different Corner - 1986
    I Knew You Were Waiting For Me (with Aretha Franklin) - 1987
    Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (with Elton John) - 1991
    Five Live EP (with Queen and Lisa Stansfield) - 1993
    Jesus To A Child - 1996
    Fastlove - 1996

Earlier this month it was announced that producer and songwriter Naughty Boy was working with Michael on a new album.
    Image copyright Reuters
    Image caption Michael outside Highbury Magistrates' Court in 2010 - he faced a series of run-ins with police in recent years

A documentary film entitled Freedom was also due for release next March.

In 2011, Michael postponed a series of concerts after being taken to hospital for treatment for pneumonia.

After treatment in a Vienna hospital, he made a tearful appearance outside his London home and said it had been "touch and go" whether he lived.

Doctors were said to have performed a tracheotomy to keep his airways open and he was unconscious for some of his spell in hospital.

After years of refusing to be drawn on speculation about his sexuality, Michael disclosed he was gay in 1998 after being was arrested in a public toilet in Beverly Hills, California, for engaging in a lewd act.

From the BBC. Ex-Wham! singer George Michael dies - BBC News
    Free Charmed.

Ahh man. I was debating getting rid of Freedom from my playlist for a recent road trip and couldn't do it.
    Also had been musing that I hadn't seen the People magazine that sums up the year and my mom made the comment that it ain't over yet - look how Zsa Zsa went last week. This stupid year.

I remember having a sleepover with my friends back in the 80s and watching this video and thinking it was tres sexay. Of course, we had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but we got the point anyway.

“What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

aww jeez poor george and his giant head! wtf!

i remember a few years ago, can't remember but i think it was around this time he was touch and go in the hospital with a respitory issue (pneumonia?). he was also the one i thought was the blind item guess for the person who was going to die this year from aids.

i really like that song 'too sexy'.

Last Christmas, indeed.

You Mother Fucker, 2016.

And no disrespect but when was George Michael & Andrew Ringley only 4 years older than me??? They weren't 4 years older than me in 1983 when I saw them at Leeds uni.
    Free Charmed.

Shut the fuck up!!!???? 😵

Goddamnit!!!
    Brookie, HWBL, weathered1 and 2 others like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Yeah.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    And no disrespect but when was George Michael & Andrew Ringley only 4 years older than me??? They weren't 4 years older than me in 1983 when I saw them at Leeds uni.
    yeah i feel like he should be older than that age.

he leaves us with this:

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Yeah, I thought he was older than 53 too. (I still do. Not old enough to be dead yet, but still.) Man, I loved his stuff back in the 80's. It was pure sex before I even knew what sex was.

And to lighten the mood a bit, here's Sexy Sax Man Sergio Flores.

Bowie, Prince & now George. The music of my youth. Seriously God, could you not have just taken Madonna?!!!!

Elite Member

Wow. Shocked. Quintessential 80s. RIP George.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information