Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: George Bush makes a Jessica Simpson joke

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    ^^So the Civil Rights Act of 1964 should have been put to a vote? Do you really think the majority of the people of this country would have allowed black people the vote back then? Just because there is a majority opinion about something doesn't make the majority right.

We are talking about expanding rights here, not restricting them. Allowing black people to vote freely, or allowing legalized gay marriages do not hurt anyone nor does it violate anyone else's rights but disallowing the vote, or disallowing gay marriage restricts the rights of a minority, and sometimes it takes legislation to right wrongs.
    No, the civil rights act came through representation from congress. We elect congress based on how we want them to represent us. And yes, I do think the majority of people would have allowed blacks to vote. The opposition to the civil rights act came from democrats, mainly in the south.

Again, the gay marriage issues right now falls solely in the laps of congress, and the overwhelming majority who have chosen not to support it. If that is an issue you are passionate about, support a candidate who will hold stead fast to supporting gay marriage.

ETA: AS for Pat Tillman, yes, I know he was killed by friendly fire. But you insinuated it was because he opposed the war in Iraq.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Excuse me? No, that wasn't sarcasm. What planet do you live on, if you don't think food and gas are expensive? My mom and I were at the store, not too long ago. We bought taco shells, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, milk, coke, bread, and a couple of other things. We ONLY got stuff for dinner for ONE NIGHT, and ended up spending $45 that we didn't have. The gas in my part of town is approaching $3.55 a gallon. We haven't had over half a tank of gas in maybe, I dunno, FOUR YEARS. And I live in probably one of the "cheapest" parts of town we could live in. Everywhere else, everything is even HIGHER.

We weren't poor during the Clinton years. We were living in a nice place out in Kansas, a very expensive state to live in (taxes are hiked even higher, and they have some of the lowest minimum wage and unemployment in the country), and we were getting by like a normal family. Now, because of Bush and other personal happenings, we HAVE to live in a dead part of Missouri, because, otherwise, we won't be able to live ANYWHERE. In the Clinton years, we DIDN'T have to worry about getting food stamps, we DIDN'T have to worry about wether or not we were going to make the rent, we DIDN'T have to worry about wether or not we could keep the car, we DIDN'T have to worry about possibly depending on disability checks to try and make it, and we DIDN'T have to worry about wether or not we had enough food.

Oh, I'm sorry, you must be rich, so you're not seeing any of this. Try living like we have to live, and you'll see that anything I HAVE to say about how hard it is for my family to live is NOT sarcasm.

Your support of Bush, and saying what is and isn't Cynic's freedom is irritating. Why don't you go to the White House and marry the guy. You like the man and you know it, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to defend anything he's "accomplished", which, in my eyes, is very little. To me, you obviously have no idea where this country has gone, and where it continues to go.

Don't you EVER tell me that I was being sarcastic about this issue again, because you have NO idea how hard it is for my family, and MILLIONS of other families across America. End of fucking story.
    Exactly. I live with my chronically ill sister to help her out, and we are struggling. Food and gas prices are about to kill us here. We are up to 3.70+ here, but maybe it is Derby Week gouging.

Quote Originally Posted by baked_tater View Post
    Exactly. I live with my chronically ill sister to help her out, and we are struggling. Food and gas prices are about to kill us here. We are up to 3.70+ here, but maybe it is Derby Week gouging.
    THAT'S what pisses me off- the local stations with gouging. I remember on 9/11... someone at work suggested filling up on gas that morning because prices would double by the end of the day. So I did. Sure enough, by the time I drove home, gas had DOUBLED! Of course, those stations were prosecuted.

But I think a lot of stations (companies) etc., have knee jerk reactions to alleged market claims, speculation by analysts, etc. Gas prices used to change once a week. Now, they change everyday where I live. THAT'S the crap that needs to stop.

I wish you the best with your sister. Are there any agencies who may be able to assist you both? I started a thread in the 'High School' forum about food/gas saving tips and there are many churches that will help the public with no questions asked.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    That is not true. He was killed while serving in Afghanistan, a duty he willing chose to do and gave up a successful career in the NFL. Any alleged 'opposition' to the war in Iraq is from the opinion of his brother. To even suggest he was killed because he opposed the war in Iraq is irresponsible and nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
    ETA: AS for Pat Tillman, yes, I know he was killed by friendly fire. But you insinuated it was because he opposed the war in Iraq.
    you tell me how much the Bush admin would have loved for that big beautiful, war hero, football hero, to come home and declare the Iraq war "fucking illegal". He planned on doing just that.

How does it look? War hero, football hero, opposes the Iraq war, vocally, to his family and comrades. THEN he's killed by 'friendly fire' the details of which are still horridly murky. They burned his uniform and his diary.

you tell me how much the Bush admin would have loved for that big beautiful, war hero, football hero, to come home and declare the Iraq war "fucking illegal". He planned on doing just that.

How does it look? War hero, football hero, opposes the Iraq war, vocally, to his family and comrades. THEN he's killed by 'friendly fire' the details of which are still horridly murky. They burned his uniform and his diary.
    There are many vets who have come out in opposition to the war. Yes, Tillman may have had a larger impact at home. But to imply he was murdered to shut him up is crazy. Perhaps an individual in his unit may have done this. But to say it was the Bush Admin? Not buying it at all.

Reminder to self: wear Pat Tillman jersey this weekend. He is a hero of mine, and had he been a vocal opponent of the war in Iraq while back in the States, he STILL would have been a hero to me.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^It's a matter of perspective, I guess. I look at an admin who lied to get us into a war that has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, and I am apt to impute the darkest motives and intentions onto them. I don't think I'm wrong to do that. You do. C'est la vie.

^^It's a matter of perspective, I guess. I look at an admin who lied to get us into a war that has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, and I am apt to impute the darkest motives and intentions onto them. I don't think I'm wrong to do that. You do. C'est la vie.
    C'est la vie, indeed. Isn't it great? I don't deny dark motives... but I'd go to the individual who pulled the trigger and go from there.

.. dead yet?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.v View Post
    Oy vey

Bless you, Mrs. V........wow.......if I join the army.....will she come and visit me?......Bushie is just jealous that he ends up with his Stepford wife instead of this......wowzer.....Bushie should have stuck to baseball.....oh, yeah, he was a cheerleader....

Last edited by cynic; May 2nd, 2008 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    That's pretty bad when you're getting slammed by the dumbest president, ever.

Yes, very sad. I feel sorry for Chestica. I hope her father doesn't ruin her thing with Tony.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Chasing Demri around our house in her walker!

Freedom is carrying on your life in whatever way you choose within the context of the laws of our country. When it is a question of overturning existing laws, as is the case of marriage, the people are the ones who should do it.

GoldDust, don't blame Bush for gay marriage. EVERY President before him, including Clinton, has not supported it. In fact, anyone even remotely believing Bush would endorse gay marriage clearly didn't listen to the man before he was President. If you blame anyone, blame the members of congress who have continually denied supporting any legislative move.
    ^^I did not mention any other presidents. I simply said that: My gay sister does not have the freedom to marry her partner, under the Bush Administration. That is true & undeniable. And while Congress votes things into laws, Bush, being President DOES have a LOT of "say" about ALL matters--such as whether gay marriage should be allowed in this country or if it should not. What the President's stance on a particular issue is, has a lot of bearing on whether said issue will be voted into law or if it will not be. Again, i will repeat my simple & true statement: As things stand, with Bush as President and LEADER of this country, this country has denied my sister the PERSONAL FREEDOM to marry her life partner.
    My precious baby girl:
    ~ Demri Elizabeth-June ~
    Arrived July 19th. 6 lbs.,5 oz.; 19.5". BEAUTIFUL !

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDust77 View Post
    ^^I did not mention any other presidents. I simply said that: My gay sister does not have the freedom to marry her partner, under the Bush Administration. That is true & undeniable. And while Congress votes things into laws, Bush, being President DOES have a LOT of "say" about ALL matters--such as whether gay marriage should be allowed in this country or if it should not. What the President's stance on a particular issue is, has a lot of bearing on whether said issue will be voted into law or if it will not be. Again, i will repeat my simple & true statement: As things stand, with Bush as President and LEADER of this country, this country has denied my sister the PERSONAL FREEDOM to marry her life partner.
    And I will also repeat, to have expected Bush to change that was the wrong expectation. Also true and undeniable, you sister couldn't marry under any other administration either. So to say Bush is responsible is not a valid argument.

Peace out!

Yes, I know where this country has been, is and will be in the future. And yes, I DO support the war in Iraq.
    Then please - I beg of you, get off your ass and go enlist today. If people who support this stupid fucking oil war would put their lives on the line for what they support, the men and women who are being forced to serve could come home from a war they do not support. I have to laugh at the people who say the war is correct but they sit safely at home and don't send their kids to sacrifice their lives for the effort they believe in. Time to put up or shut up!! There are plenty of non combat roles that can be filled too.

I' like to know why the Iraq war was started.. lets run down the laundry list of lies and excuses:

1) Saddam caused 9/11

2) He';s evil (despite the uS funding him in the 80's)

3) He's making weapons (didnt have any, didnt have any plans, didnt have any facilities, totally debunked)

4) Broke UN resolutions about oil (how many resolutions has Israel or the US broken? Hundreds)

5) Humanitarian reasons (like that ever mattered)

6) Saddam in league with Al Qaeda (totally false and debunked)

So which fucking reason is it? They've all been tried, and all of them are fucking bunk. So which one is supportable? Why is the war happening if none of these reasons are actually VIABLE?

Can any 'supporter' actually answer this question? No, they can't.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Then please - I beg of you, get off your ass and go enlist today. If people who support this stupid fucking oil war would put their lives on the line for what they support, the men and women who are being forced to serve could come home from a war they do not support. I have to laugh at the people who say the war is correct but they sit safely at home and don't send their kids to sacrifice their lives for the effort they believe in. Time to put up or shut up!! There are plenty of non combat roles that can be filled too.
    Put up or shut up? Puhlease. So only people who support the war should go? Wow, you really don't know anything about an all volunteer military, do you? Oh, and before you throw politicians out there, like Damon saying the Bush girls should join, there are a fair number of congressmen and women who have children serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. People join the military because they WANT to. That's what makes our military truly unique. Taking that line of reasoning, I propose this: to anyone who hates this country, get out now.

ETA: Since this has turned into one more of many Bush bashing, hate all Republicans thread, I am out of here. I should know better than to constantly beat my head against a wall.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information