Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: "Frasier" star John Mahoney dead at 77

He was perfect as Marty Crane, and I don't think I ever saw him deliver a bad performance. This is really sad news.

Elite Member

Very sad about this one. RIP. Loved him.

I loved him and Frasier. One of my top 5 sitcoms I keep rewatching. The episode, The Love you Fake is my favorite episode. I never knew he was British either. I wonder if he had an accent or if he lost it when he moved to the US.
    RIP Marty Crane

I first noticed him as Ione Skye's dad in "Say Anything". He has an extremely close relationship and it falls apart when she realizes he is ripping off the elderly people in the nursing home he runs.

I think it's kind of ironic that on "Frasier" he (a Brit) played an all-American, meat-and-potatoes dad, while the two American actors who played his sons sounded vaguely British -- to me at least.

RIP!
    Nevan, Flygirl, KrisNine and 2 others like this.

He played a gay partner of a man dying of AIDS on ER years ago. The family were homophobes and wouldn’t let him participate in anything. It was a beautiful performance and I’ll never forget it.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

I’m surprised that he was only 77. R.I.P. his line delivery was always en pointe on Frasier.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I first noticed him as Ione Skye's dad in "Say Anything". He has an extremely close relationship and it falls apart when she realizes he is ripping off the elderly people in the nursing home he runs.

I think it's kind of ironic that on "Frasier" he (a Brit) played an all-American, meat-and-potatoes dad, while the two American actors who played his sons sounded vaguely British -- to me at least.

RIP!
    ^Also that he and Niles were gay in real life and, especially Marty, was kind of an "eeew, gay" real man's man, just uncomfortable but not necessarily anti-gay. R.I.P.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I loved him, too.

A*O, that thought crossed my mind, too, but I think he got really sick at some point?

ETA

@Mo - yeah, he was British, but I think he spent time growing up in Chicago which is where I think he got his American accent.
    I read he had colon cancer a very long time ago.
    I had no idea he was British born either.
    Waterslide likes this.

Oh no! This is so sad. Interesting to hear he was British and only 15 years older than his Grammar, his tv son.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

Aww, this one is really sad. RIP.

Loved him on Frasier. He played so well against his stuffy sons. I really thought he was older than it turns out he was and yeah color me another shocked he was a Brit. I had no clue. RIP.
    KrisNine likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Loved him on Frasier. He played so well against his stuffy sons. I really thought he was older than it turns out he was and yeah color me another shocked he was a Brit. I had no clue. RIP.
    I think he originally was from Manchester. Remember the episode where he's imitating Daphne (Jane Leeves was also from Manchester.) and he nailed it.

ETA: Wikipedia says he was born in Bispham, Blackpool, Lancashire,
    Waterslide likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    ^Also that he and Niles were gay in real life and, especially Marty, was kind of an "eeew, gay" real man's man, just uncomfortable but not necessarily anti-gay. R.I.P.
    The actor who played "Bulldog" is gay, too. If I remember correctly, the Bulldog character was kind of a straight horndog.

The guy who played Niles (Hyde Pierce) was in a movie I love, called "Wet Hot American Summer". He is some kind of astrophysicist who is mentoring the nerdy campers. One of my favorite parts of the movie is watching Janeane Garofalo's Camp Director character fall in love with him.

^I LOVED the Bulldog character, he played that so well! Frasier was often the most "gay" one (although Niles' marriage to Maris was of course a total sham).
    MohandasKGanja and Bluebonnet like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

The characters of Frasier and Niles were not gay. The actor, David Hyde Pierce, however, IS gay IRL. Kelsey Grammar is not gay. As far as I know. Just married multiple times.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information