Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: "Foxy Knoxy" Amanda Knox gets $4m book deal from HarperCollins

I'm not Italian and I think Sollecito is getting a shitty end of this deal. So I don't think it has anything to do with being American. I would feel the same way if Meredith Kercher, a Brit, was accused of murdering Amanda Knox, an American.

Like Twitchy said, she could be a nasty person and a liar and still not be guilty of this crime.

And, I really don't take the position that Knox isn't somehow involved. I just think the Italian prosecution, police and courts fucked up. It happens all the time in every country.

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    I am curious, for people who think she is guilty, are you buying the prosecution's theories about why she did it? Or do you think she had other motivations for such a brutal crime that came with so many risks and seems to be against her character (no prior violent offenses etc.)?
    Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    There's lots of people I'd love to smack. It's not proof of murder, however. She might be a thoroughly nasty woman AND innocent of this crime.
    True, but what I said "It's just watching her, listening to her, reading her body language etc." I meant in the context of the crime she's been accused of. The way she holds herself just gives off a negative vibe.
    Last edited by HWBL; January 31st, 2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Sarzy likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Amanda Knox and Italy's 'Carnivalesque' Justice System - Olga Khazan - The Atlantic

Amanda Knox and Italy's 'Carnivalesque' Justice System

The former exchange student has been convicted of murder—again.
    Olga Khazan
    Jan 30 2014, 5:01 PM ET

Reuters (Photo illustration: The Atlantic)

Amanda Knox was convicted of the 2007 murder of her former roommate, Meredith Kercher, in an Italian appeals court in Florence on Thursday, overturning an earlier acquittal. The decision concludes four months of argument in what has been the third trial of Knox and her ex-boyfriend and co-defendant, Raffaele Sollecito. The judge sentenced Knox to 28 years, and Sollecito to 25 years.

"I am frightened and saddened by this unjust verdict," Knox said in a statement. "Having been found innocent before, I expected better from the Italian justice system."

Knox awaited the verdict from her home in Seattle, and it's unlikely Italian authorities would attempt to extradite her until the verdict is finalized, which in Italy is a process that can take up to a year. Some experts say it is unlikely that Knox will be extradited to Italy at all because of U.S. laws against double jeopardy and because of the risk of harming international ties. Plus, Knox's lawyer has said that the case will likely be appealed yet again.

When Amanda Knox was first acquitted in 2011, four years after she was originally arrested for Kercher's murder, Italian newspaper Il Giornale titled its story about the case, "Amanda and Raffaele Acquitted: It's the Magistrates Who Should Be Convicted."

Now, exasperation with Italy's legal system is likely to flare once again, at least among Americans who support Knox. Apparently, this layer-cake appeals process and these reversals of earlier verdicts are nothing unusual for Italy's big cases.

"It's one of the many failings of Italian justice that it never delivers conclusive, door-slamming certainty," wrote journalist Tobias Jones in The Guardian shortly after the 2011 verdict. "What usually happens is that the door is left wide open to take the case to the next level, first to appeal and then to the cassazione, the supreme court."

"Nobody here's good at their job."

In fact, judging from media reports, the entire ordeal—from the discovery of Kercher's stabbed, half-naked body to this latest conviction—has been an illogical, clumsy disaster.

Prosecutors lacked a motive or any clear evidence linking Knox to the scene of the crime. Knox didn't know she was a suspect even as she was signing her confession. Nathaniel Rich's excellent 2011 story about the case in Rolling Stone provides a chilling look at some of the other myriad flaws in the investigation that put Knox behind bars for four years of her initial 26-year sentence:

Sollecito called the carabinieri -- the Italian military police -- and the couple went outside to wait. Two officers soon arrived. They weren't carabinieri, however -- they were postal police, a sleepy, junior-varsity unit of the state police responsible for investigating crimes like Internet fraud and stolen phones....

For starters, the carabinieri would have prevented anyone from tramping through the crime scene. The two postal-police officers, however, allowed themselves to be led through the house in search of clues by a band of child sleuths out of Scooby-Doo...

Italy's carnivalesque judicial process, where there is never order in the court, the lawyers and defendants constantly interrupting the proceedings with groans and catcalls and wild gesticulations, while the press in the gallery yammers away like the kids in the back of the classroom. The prosecution's failure to establish motive or intent ("We live in an age of violence with no motive," said one prosecutor). And the fact that prosecutors did not immediately drop the case against Knox and Sollecito after the bloody fingerprints and footprints came back matching a 20-year-old petty thief named Rudy Guede.

Guede was convicted in a separate proceeding and is serving a 16-year sentence.

To be fair, Perugia, where the murder and early trials took place, is a small university town and seemed to lack the kinds of hot-shot lawyers and judges that might be involved in a similarly important case in a larger city. The prosecutor, Giuliano Mignini, told journalists that while it brought him little joy to send a young woman to jail for decades, "things are often touched by Satan" and referred to Knox as a "sex-and-drug-crazed she-devil."

"Nobody here's good at their job," Frank Sfarzo, a local blogger who has followed the trial more obsessively than anyone, told Rolling Stone. "If they were, they wouldn't be in Perugia."

And granted, Knox didn't help her case by reportedly doing "cartwheels and splits" in the immediate aftermath of the murder and canoodling with Sollecito during the police investigation.

The news of Knox's second conviction might appear, to Americans, as yet another glitch in what seems like a broken legal system: It wouldn't have happened in the U.S., legal scholars write, because Italy doesn't forbid double jeopardy, a cornerstone of American law.

Italians' displeasure with Knox' 2011 acquittal seemed to stem from a desire to see someone—anyone—punished for Kercher's murder and from a sense that she was a bit too bubbly for a wrongfully accused suspect in a murder case. Polls in Italy showed that the majority of Italians believed Knox and Sollecito were guilty, and after the 2011 acquittal was announced, spectators outside the courtroom shouted: "Shame! Bastards!" at judges and lawyers.

But reactions to the handling of the couple's original trial were, in some cases, even more outraged.

"Even if the rules have been followed, and the sentence is, probably, irrefutable, for the Italian justice system this is not, however, a victory," said an editorial in La Stampa. "The confirmation of the evidence was missing; faced with doubt the judges inexorably, but justly, reached their conclusions. Yet this is an acquittal that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.... And so, almost by necessity, the debate shifts to the efficiency of our judicial system and the capacity of our judges, because now there are too many murder cases in which they have failed to give responses that fail to convince completely, or fail to convince at all."

To others, the acquittal showed that whatever procedural errors there might have been, the truth was destined to out itself eventually, and Italy's courts proved themselves, however slowly:

"Amanda Knox's case demonstrates how the system is able to react to any errors," Paola Severino, a lawyer and a professor of criminal law at Rome's LUISS University, told Time in 2011.

As Jones points out, Knox's case is far from the only one in which the country's legal system fumbled. Judicial appointments in Italy are made through nepotism, juries aren't properly sequestered, and the courts are in dire need of reform.

A Reuters analysis of Italy's courts paints an even more depressing picture:

There is a backlog of around nine million cases, 5.5 million civil and 3.4 million criminal ...

The state paid 84 million euros in compensation for miscarriages of justice and legal delays in 2011. There were nearly 50,000 such claims compared to 3,500 in 2003. Another 46 million euros was paid out to people unjustly thrown in jail.

Some 42 percent of those in jail or 28,000 people, are awaiting trial and the prison population is 68,000 in institutions intended to hold 45,000.

Prosecutors may have been right to pursue the case until they're fully satisfied, but the bizarre, never-ending saga that Knox's case has become detracts from the legitimacy of the final verdict.

Or as Vittorio Macioce wrote in Il Giornale in 2011, "It's the law, but maybe in Italian justice there's a black hole where uncertainty reigns."
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    The thought of a defendant being tried three times for the same incident because someone simply doesn't like/can't accept a verdict literally sends chills down my spine.
    Amen
    politesse and Froogy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Well quite.

Would the Americans be so supportive of her if she wasn't from the US?
    I'm an American and I initially argued that she was guilty - here is where I was doing it: Gentle innocent or brutal killer: Seattle student charged with murder in Italy

However, after reading, and re-reading the facts of the case, I don't see how she could possibly be guilty.

Anyone?
    If I remember correctly, the prosecution's theory has evolved from a violent sex game gone awry (everyone was into it, except Meredith), to Knox, Sollecito, and Guede coming home together and being confronted by Kercher about some missing/stolen money. And that it escalated as a fight. However, it doesn't explain how Guede's DNA ended up inside Kercher, or how Guede is the only person who left prints and DNA in Kercher's apartment.
    fuzuoko likes this.

Can I just say for the record that the Daily Mail most certainly does not give an indication of what the people of the UK feel about absolutely anything. It's right-wing racist bullshit and you can pretty much write off anything their 'journalists' write as inflammatory crap.

Regular service may now continue.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Elite Member

I can't believe they've, off/on, had the Demon House as their top post on the US Edition for like, 3 or 4 days now.
    Lalique and badgers! like this.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Amanda Knox comes across as completely unlikable, she just does. Does that make her guilty, no. But god damn, I sat next to her for 30 minutes eating lunch one day without even realizing it was her and I wanted to turn around and tell her to shut her pretentious twat mouth. Seriously, she is that obnoxious in the way she comes across. I almost feel sorry for her.
    HWBL, effie2 and garysgirl1999 like this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

If I remember correctly, the prosecution's theory has evolved from a violent sex game gone awry (everyone was into it, except Meredith), to Knox, Sollecito, and Guede coming home together and being confronted by Kercher about some missing/stolen money. And that it escalated as a fight. However, it doesn't explain how Guede's DNA ended up inside Kercher, or how Guede is the only person who left prints and DNA in Kercher's apartment.
    Yes, this is what I remember too, I just wondered if people who felt that she was guilty also agreed with this theory. It seems like it's reaching to me. And if they do believe it, how do they reconcile it with her previous behavior or lack of violent behavior.

I am curious, for people who think she is guilty, are you buying the prosecution's theories about why she did it? Or do you think she had other motivations for such a brutal crime that came with so many risks and seems to be against her character (no prior violent offenses etc.)?
    Anyone?
    Sorry! I was busy having a life!

To my knowledge she has never accounted for their whereabouts during the time of the murder.
    Someone who never turns her mobile off, has it switched off for 10-12 hours. They consistently claim to have been watching films on a laptop but the OS doesn't support that.... You know simple stuff like actually having an alibi.

These two alibi each other which I know is not unknown, however there were things that could alibi them that didn't. Plus her lies...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Amanda Knox comes across as completely unlikable, she just does. Does that make her guilty, no. But god damn, I sat next to her for 30 minutes eating lunch one day without even realizing it was her and I wanted to turn around and tell her to shut her pretentious twat mouth. Seriously, she is that obnoxious in the way she comes across. I almost feel sorry for her.
    What was she doing or saying that made her seem so obnoxious?

Breathing?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, the Daily Fail. BUT. What about the fawning coverage Foxy Knoxy gets in the US press? Any other time a white person blames the black guy**---especially in tandem with the quality, character, and quantity of all the other lies she told during the investigation. not to mention the cartwheels-- she gets ridiculed right off the television screen.. What's different here? The nature and slant of the overwhelmingly positive 'news' coverage she's treated to..

**Who could forget this? No seriously, people seemed to have forgotten this. Girl in murder case up to her neck blames the black guy. Girl in murder case up to her neck, who told lies, blames the black guy. Girl in murder case up to her neck, who told lies and blamed the black guy also once SAID AND DID this to a coworker yet somehow it's only ever poor fucking AMANDA? GMAFB. The girl is a looney toons murderer:

Matthew seemed to be happy enough with his life and job at World Cup. He told me he was on the wagon. Had been on it for a while. He had no plans to get off it for a while. After catching up on things, I asked him about Knox. He used to work with her and had lots to say about her and the media frenzy that she is in the center of. Almost immediately after her arrest in Italy, reporters from around the world began hounding the small cafe. They showed up in droves and sat around waiting for something to happen. And when they were not around, they kept calling and asking about Knox, about her personality, her performance on the job, her habits—anything that was fit enough to throw into print or on the screen.

"You know," Matthew said, leaning toward me, "a lot of people are saying she is a sweet girl and they can't believe she could have done such a thing. But, to be honest, I'm not surprised she is a suspect. Really. The first time I met her, when I got the job here, she asked me if I was Jewish. I told her I was. She then screamed: 'My people killed your people,' and began laughing hysterically. I didn't know what to say. She just kept laughing about her Germans killing my Jews. After that, I did not like her. She really freaked me out."

The Education of Amanda Knox by Charles Mudede - Seattle Features - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

'Satanic Murder Ring' theory only served the prosecution ill. IMO, this ill conceived theory is the only reason Knox was handed so many chances. Satan doesn't have to enter into it. I've got two words for all you Amanda lovers: Karla Homolka. That's my theory of the crime. She's a freaking evil sadistic creep is what she is.
    effie2, HWBL, Sarzy and 1 others like this.

Thinking there isn't enough evidence isn't the same as being a "lover".
    CL**, sluce, McJag and 3 others like this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Thread Information