Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: "Foxy Knoxy" Amanda Knox gets $4m book deal from HarperCollins

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I do know signs of dishonesty and manipulation, and thankfully they are fairly rare.
    What is your training in knowing these signs?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    but it drives me bananas that she is blatantly deceitful and most people are kind-hearted and honest enough themselves not to notice. /rantiness
    So anyone who doesn't agree with your interpretation of deceitful behavior are just too kind-hearted and honest to see reality? Interesting.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I agree that our legal system can be fucked up and totally flawed. I personally know someone who was held for 20 some hours and questioned straight through even after asking for an attorney. They were about 19 or 20 at the time and the police kept interviewing them even after they requested an attorney. They said they could continue to talk to them and question them, even though they asked for an attorney because they didn't have to answer them, but they had to listen to them and what they had to say! Turns out, the police weren't really after my friend, but after a friend of his. Seriously fucked up. He said he would have told them anything to get out of there. They told him they had solid evidence that would put him behind bars for years, but, if he told them what they wanted to hear before someone else did, he would get the deal and serve very little time. So, fucked up shit happens all the time.

I don't know enough about this case to even make a guess as to her guilt or innocence. Also, I don't know enough about the legal system in Italy to be comfortable enough to say it's pure shit. I do know that I don't like the idea of being able to try someone again for the same crime after the sentence has been overturned.

Amanda Knox Weeps And Vows To 'Fight Till End'

Amanda Knox breaks down on television as Meredith Kercher's family calls for her extradition to Italy to serve her sentence.

3:42pm UK, Friday 31 January 2014

Video: Sky News Speaks To Kercher Family
    Enlarge

Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito have again been found guilty of murdering British student Meredith Kercher after an Italian court ruled the pair should not have been cleared. David Bowden reports.
    Video: Knox And Sollecito's lawyers say they will appeal

Amanda Knox wept on television as she vowed to fight her latest conviction for the murder of Meredith Kercher "to the very end".
    Knox broke down several times in a breakfast interview with America's ABC network and said: "This really has hit me like a train."
    She spoke after the brother of Miss Kercher said Knox should be handed over to Italy by the US.
    An Italian court yesterday reinstated her conviction for killing the 21-year-old British student.
    Amande Knox broke down as she was interviewed on abc's Good Morning America

Legal experts say there is no reason why the US should refuse Italy's extradition request
    - meaning Knox faces more than 28 years in jail.

Knox's ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito was also found guilty after judges ruled the pair should not have been cleared on appeal in 2011.
    Speaking on Good Morning America, Knox sobbed as she described hearing the news live via an internet link to an Italian TV network.
    Knox is consoled by interviewer Robin Roberts

"My first reaction was 'no' - this is wrong and I'm going to do everything I can to prove that it is.

"But it was only on my way here that I got my first cry."
    Knox said she had contacted the chaplain at her former jail and he had reminded her that "people still believe in me".
    Exchange student Miss Kercher lived with Knox

Asked if she was prepared for any extradition she replied: "I'm not."

"This really has hit me like a train, I did not expect this to happen. I really expected so much better from the Italian justice system. They found me innocent before - how can they say this is guilt beyond reasonable doubt?"
    Asked what she would say to the Kercher family she said: I have sent them a letter - it's in the mail.

"I just want them to know I really understand that this has been incredibly difficult - that they too have been on this never-ending thing and when the case has been messed up this much then a verdict is no consolation."

Speaking at a news conference on Friday morning, Lyle Kercher, Meredith's brother, said: "If somebody's found guilty and convicted of a murder - if an extradition law exists between those two countries - I don't see why they (the US) wouldn't.
    "It would set a difficult precedent if a country such as the US didn't choose to go along with laws they themselves uphold when extraditing convicted criminals from other countries."
    Members of Ms Kercher's family were in court
    Knox, who was in her hometown of Seattle when she learned her conviction had been reinstated, has been sentenced to 28 years and six months.
    Sollecito, who was not in court for the verdict but had attended lengthy hearings earlier in the day, was sentenced to 25 years.
    Reports in Italy say the 29-year-old is now being held by police after being stopped near the country's border with Slovenia on Friday morning.
    Sollecito is in Italy but was not in court for the verdict

Lawyers for Knox and Sollecito have said they intend to appeal to Italy's highest court and a long legal battle for Knox's extradition is expected.

Miss Kercher's sister Stephanie told reporters on Friday that she would not read a letter Knox wrote to her until the appeals process is exhausted.
    "I am told there was a letter - I have not physically seen it ... I don't have a need to read it at the moment."
    She also said she did not want to meet Knox, who reportedly has tried to make contact with the Kercher family.
    "It's not something we would want to do at the moment - and I can't say we ever will. Regardless of a guilty or not guilty verdict, a lot has happened over this amount of time."

Speaking after the verdict on Thursday, Lyle Kercher told Sky News he could never forgive those responsible for his sister's death.
    "I think you'd have to be a very strong-willed - arguably religious - person to find that forgiveness," he said. "I think it is so easily forgotten what happened to Meredith.
    "When I read reports even now, I find myself skimming past the paragraphs that refer to what actually happened to her because it is so horrific."
    Amanda Knox leaves her Seattle home after the verdict was announced

Knox and Sollecito were charged in 2007 after Miss Kercher's semi-naked body was found with her throat cut in the bedroom of the house she shared with Knox in the central Italian city of Perugia.

The 21-year-old Leeds University student from Coulsdon, Surrey, had been sexually assaulted.
    Two years after the pair were found guilty at their original trial in 2009 - and handed jail terms totalling more than 50 years - the verdicts were overturned and both walked free from court, with Knox returning to the US and going on to sign a book deal.
    Their acquittals in 2011 came after a damning 100-page report outlined a catalogue of errors and breaches of procedure that had been made in collecting evidence.
    The verdicts being delivered in Florence

The third trial began last September in Florence.

After nearly 12 hours of deliberations on Thursday, the court upheld the 2009 convictions.
    In an interview recorded before the verdict, Knox said the court's decision meant she was now technically a fugitive.
    "I'm definitely not going back (to Italy) willingly," she said. "They'll have to catch me and pull me back kicking and screaming."
    Speaking to The Guardian, Ms Knox said her memory of what happened on the night the murder was clear.
    "I knew what I did that night," she said. "I very clearly remembered what I did that night. That I was with Rafael, we had dinner, we did what we always normally do when we're all the things we do when we're together.
    Amanda Knox prepares for the interview

"But they started questioning me about that, making me doubt what I was telling them. I kept telling them, 'look, I don't know what time I was doing things.

"All I can tell you is I left my house, me and Rafael went to his house, we were hanging out, listening to music, I read some Harry Potter ... I remember reading emails, we talked, we had dinner; that's what we did."
    Though Knox has remained in the US, she emailed the court to protest her innocence in a statement read out by her lawyer in which she insisted she ''was not a monster".
    Speaking outside the Florence court, Knox's lawyer, Luciano Ghirga, said she would launch an appeal against the decision.
    He added: "For those that, like me, are convinced that Amanda is innocent, it is a very difficult time.
    "We have to respect the verdict but we will challenge them. We're very sad at the moment."
    Sollecito's lawyer Luca Maori said: "There isn't a shred of proof."
    Drug dealer Rudy Guede was sentenced to 16 years over Miss Kercher's murder. Investigators said he did not act alone.

Amanda Knox Weeps And Vows To 'Fight Till End'

1. So you can go on American tv the minute you have just been convicted (again) of a heinous crime and the presenter will hold your hand? That doesn't look wrong in other countries. No way.

2. You write a last minute 'consolation' letter to the family of the murdered girl because that makes you look better? Yes.

3. You publish a book even though you have 'no idea' what happened because you need the $$$$$$$ and you are between convictions so there's nothing wrong with that.

etc.
    effie2, HWBL, BelledeJour and 2 others like this.

The trial bankrupted her family, so of course she's going to write a book to a) help repay relatives who helped with her defense and b) present her side of the story outside the courtroom.

This is not the first time that Knox has offered condolences to Kercher's family while also maintaining her innocence. If I were innocent, and the Kercher's were demanding my head, I would be sorely tempted to tell them to go screw themselves - I'm not going to rot in a prison because they can't follow the chain of evidence. However, that would backfire and confirm people's suspicions that I had an out-of-control temper. In Knox's case, anything she says to Kercher's family is a no-win situation.

As to going on tv, I highly recommend that Knox do it. Thanks to a a conviction on no evidence, Knox now faces the prospect of being extradited for a crime she didn't commit. She had better get to working public opinion on this side to the point that either Italy never follows through on an extradition request, or United States politicians somehow get the Justice Department to block it.

Because she is innocent, right? She was innocent twice and the Italian courts got it wrong twice. Right. Where is the respect for Italian justice that her lawyer is talking about?
    HWBL and garysgirl1999 like this.

Well that new haircut is criminal,l I know that much
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Because she is innocent, right? She was innocent twice and the Italian courts got it wrong twice. Right. Where is the respect for Italian justice that her lawyer is talking about?
    There isn't a country in the world with an infallible justice system. I'm sure Italy gets a lot of cases correct. The same with other countries. But every once in a while a case goes sideways, and this is one. It started with a really screwy prosecutor, of course.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Again like this hasn't happened many times that a court could get something wrong more than once.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

The Italian justice system is always right. They never make errors. Just ask Enzo Tortora.
    sluce likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Plus, there's always a lot of pressure to "solve" high profile crimes. Especially ones that involve women and women that are tourists or staying abroad in your country.

And tons of pressure for them to convict her again to take away the embarassment of the kangaroo court that screwed up the first time. I often wonder, in all countries, would the prosecution be a little more careful if they could personally sued for introducing false evidence.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I am SO not gonna argue about this one. So, basically - we all just accept that poor put upon Amanda Knox has been set up by the entire Italian Judicial system... just because.
    The Italian justice system has royally screwed this one up, however, there is a higher court (EU court) that can act depending on the appeal to it. Fir example, she could appeal to the EU court that the 3-strike system is inhuman/antihuman rights, + she'd probably win knowing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I understand. I also really dislike the way that the victim's family keeps implying that the only way "justice" will be served is if Amanda Knox is held responsible for this crime.
    All the press quote I have read + which I have posted for you last time you posted this have stated that they want the correct person to be found + tried. They were told/convinced buy the Italian Police that it was these two, then it's not, then it is again.... As much as I dislike Knox, believe her to be guilty due to her actions/lies, the Kercher family are just really searching for closure, to find out what happened to their daughter/sister.

The Kercher family are the greatest victims in this circus.

It would have gone a long way if the authorities had thought it prudent to, oh I don't know, videotape or record the questioning of these two. But no, they just trot out the detectives to testify to what Knox said, her demeanor, and that there was zero coercion. So with little to no reliable physical evidence supporting their convictions, it just becomes about credibility. I've seen far too many cases where people were ready to convict because they didn't think the person was acting like an innocent person would act, when the person actually turned out to be innocent. Wiki has a lot of good info if you search for Meredith Kercher's murder.....and it seemed a good amount of stuff the prosecution presented from the get-go was about Knox's demeanor. For instance, they portrayed her going on a lingerie/sex toy spree after the murder, when she wasn't able to go home for days and get fresh clothes and so was buying undies. I don't know that this chick is innocent, but they sure haven't proven guilt in a fair trial.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Thread Information