Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: "Foxy Knoxy" Amanda Knox gets $4m book deal from HarperCollins

Quote Originally Posted by CL** View Post
    It seems like this verdict would put that Guede guy in position for an appeal. They presented a completely different story this time, it sounds like, for the murder, than they did for Guede's trial and Amanda's first two.
    Guede is already due for work release in 2014 from what I've read. But regardless of what they rule on Knox and Sollecito, Guede has absolutely no legal leg to stand on. His DNA was in Kercher, on her, underneath her and in her toilet. His shoe prints and bloody hand prints were found there. He has a history of burglary and carrying a knife.

I'd just sit my happy, free ass in the US. Plenty of places to travel here. I don't believe she did it, but even if I did, the way this has been handled is a true miscarriage of justice for the victim and her family and Amanda Knox and her ex.
    CL**, Witchywoman and stef like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Amanda Knox Found Guilty Of Kercher Murder

Amanda Knox says she's "frightened and saddened" after a court upheld her murder conviction and extended her sentence to 28 years.

10:00pm UK, Thursday 30 January 2014

Video: Knox And Sollecito: Guilty Again

Lyle Kercher says it is not a time for celebration, after two people had their convictions upheld for murdering his sister.
    Video: Kercher's Brother 'Not Celebrating'

A court in Italy has upheld the original convictions of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito for killing Meredith Kercher.

Knox was sentenced to 28 years and six months while Sollecito was sentenced to 25 years.
    Miss Kercher's sister Stephanie and brother Lyle were both at the Nuovo Palazzo di Giustizia courthouse in Florence to hear the outcome.
    Knox, 26, and Sollecito, 29, were originally charged in 2007 after Miss Kercher was found semi-naked with her throat cut in the bedroom of her house in Perugia, Italy.
    She was sentenced to 26 years and Sollecito to 25 years but in 2011 the verdicts were overturned and both walked free.
    Sollecito is in Italy but was not in court for the verdict. The retrial began last September in Florence, 100 miles from where the murder took place.

After nearly 12 hours of deliberations Thursday, the court reinstated the guilty verdict first handed down.
    Before the verdict was announced the court clerk asked for complete silence and warned journalists and the public gallery ''not to clap or cheer'' the announcement.
    Prosecutors claimed that Miss Kercher - a 21-year-old Leeds University student from Coulsdon, Surrey - was the victim of a drug-fuelled sex game gone wrong.
    Though Knox has remained in the US, she did email the court to protest her innocence in a statement read out by her lawyer in which she insisted she ''was not a monster".
    Judges deliver their verdict.

Speaking outside the court, Knox's lawyer, Luciano Ghirga, said she will launch an appeal against the decision.

But he said the telephone line "went dead" as he told Knox of the verdict.
    Mr Ghirga said: "For those that, like me, are convinced that Amanda is innocent, it is a very difficult time.
    "We have to respect the verdict but we will challenge them. We're very sad at the moment."
    The decision now means that a possible extradition battle will begin between Italy and America but the latest decision will go automatically to the Supreme Court in Rome.
    Members of Ms Kercher's family were in court.

In a statement, Knox said: "I am frightened and saddened by this unjust verdict.

"Having been found innocent before, I expected better from the Italian justice system.
    "The evidence and accusatory theory do not justify a verdict of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
    "Rather, nothing has changed. There has always been a marked lack of evidence. My family and I have suffered greatly from this wrongful persecution."

Miss Kercher's brother Lyle told Sky News he would not be able to forgive those responsible for his sister's death.
    "I think you'd have to be a very strong-willed - arguably religious - person to find that forgiveness.
    "I think it is so easily forgotten what happened to Meredith.
    "When I read reports even now, I find myself skimming past the paragraphs that refer to what actually happened to her because it is so horrific."

http://news.sky.com/story/1203892/amanda-knox-found-guilty-of-kercher-murder

garysgirl1999 likes this.

After googling, it looks like she's in the U.S. and since the U.S. believes in the Double Jeopardy rule, they wouldn't agree to send her back. I wonder what in the world is going to happen here.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

News says the Italians won't ask for extradition.
    Who the heck knows the truth here? There was enough doubt to drive a truck through. That makes it tough on everyone.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What a terrifying legal system Italy has. I would never want to practice law there.
    sluce, sprynkles and Bombshell like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Then what's the point in having another trial and finding her guilty, if she's not going to be sent back to Italy to serve her sentence?
    Serious question, I know very little about this case and Italian law....

I'm very confused.

Who knows? Maybe the Pope will step in!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    What a terrifying legal system Italy has. I would never want to practice law there.
    Or be tried there.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    The same could probably be said about the US legal system. And many others. Every country has its own legal horror stories.
    HWBL, mostroop and garysgirl1999 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    Then what's the point in having another trial and finding her guilty, if she's not going to be sent back to Italy to serve her sentence?
    Serious question, I know very little about this case and Italian law....

I'm very confused.
    It seems to me that the main prosecuting attorney might have had his ego hurt by the acquittal, possibly he pushed ($) to have this go back to trial?
    teforde23 likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

One of Amanda's alibis was that her sometime boss Mr. Lumumba killed Meredith while she cowered on the kitchen floor covering her ears.

Not 'he wanted Meredith real bad so maybe he did it' or 'I saw him lurking around sometimes so maybe he did it' or some other hypothetical. No. 'He killed her while I was in the kitchen'. This amounted to a positive identification, a first hand, eyewitness account of the murder. Only, it was a LIE. A. TOTAL. LIE. And the only reason we know it's a lie, the only reason Amanda had to retract the story, is because a bar patron, I think from Switzerland? can't remember, came forward to give Mr. Lumumba an alibi for the night of the murder and prove Amanda a liar.
    Only one of the murderers would lie like that about the murder in question. And this was only ONE of the many times Amanda changed her story about any/all of the circumstances surrounding the murder, including when/if she called the police--lies--when/if she tried to call Meredith that morning--more lies. It just goes on and on and on and on. How anybody could doubt she did it, I just don't know. Yeah, there were problems with the prosecution but there always are. The preponderance of the evidence, including Amanda's bloody footprint found on a pillow situated UNDER Meredith's body, points straight at Amanda's involvement.
    HWBL, mostroop and effie2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    One of Amanda's alibis was that her sometime boss Mr. Lumumba killed Meredith while she cowered on the kitchen floor covering her ears.

Not 'he wanted Meredith real bad so maybe he did it' or 'I saw him lurking around sometimes so maybe he did it' or some other hypothetical. No. 'He killed her while I was in the kitchen'. This amounted to a positive identification, a first hand, eyewitness account of the murder. Only, it was a LIE. A. TOTAL. LIE. And the only reason we know it's a lie, the only reason Amanda had to retract the story, is because a bar patron, I think from Switzerland? can't remember, came forward to give Mr. Lumumba an alibi for the night of the murder and prove Amanda a liar.
    Only the murderer would lie like that about the murder in question.
    I read that she was under duress when she stated that. Or so she says.
    sluce likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    I read that she was under duress when she stated that. Or so she says.
    Duress from whom? The police? Gee Amanda is speshul. Duress from the police is usually done in an effort to force people to falsely confess to a crime they didn't commit. Did they beat her with a hose to try and make her implicate the black guy?
    HWBL and effie2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Duress from whom? The police? Gee Amanda is speshul. Duress from the police is usually done in an effort to force people to falsely confess to a crime they didn't commit. Did they beat her with a hose to try and make her implicate the black guy?
    I think she has spoken about it at length, and yes, they wanted her to confess and she just wanted to get out of the interrogation and police custody. It does happen where people will confess to crimes they did not commit and later recant. My opinion on this case is neutral, but leaning toward her innocence. I don't think there was enough properly collected and processed evidence to convict her of murder. In any case, I don't think any of the scenarios that the prosecution came up with held much weight, so, even if she was guilty, it didn't go down how they guessed that it did. There was so much reasonable doubt here.

Thread Information