Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: "Foxy Knoxy" Amanda Knox gets $4m book deal from HarperCollins

But one of the things that she was imprisioned for was the false accusation/witness statements of the bar owner - wasn't it? She's guilty of that...

"The jury upheld Knox's calunnia conviction for falsely implicating bar owner Patrick Lumumba. For this Knox was sentenced to three years in prison, which she had already served, and was ordered to pay Lumumba's court costs of about 22,000 euros"
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Knox

OK see I told you I wasn't paying attention but I'm pretty sure she still did time for murder before the appeal.
    Novice likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Nevan - very interesting.
    I thought with stuff like lie detectors, that was why they asked "control questions" & thought that it would be the same in police interviews (unrelated to this specific subject) - I'm obviously wrong.
    Nov, my BIL is a patrol officer, so no portable lie detector (I think you're from the US, but just in case not, lie detectors aren't admissible in US courts). I think he was trying to brush up on his skills when he pulls over traffic stops cold. The area he works in is a high drug activity area and the right questions could mean the difference between life and death for them. But suspects are given such a huge advantage about arguing against a lawful traffic stop that yields very damning evidence. I think it's awesome he's trying to hone his investigating skills out on the street, I just don't personally agree with this book's techniques. I don't profess to know if this "spy the lie" stuff actually works with criminals .... just speculating, maybe having studied this book helped other officers he knows in court. I know he takes it really personally and really hard if a known criminal gets off on a technicality (happened recently). There are obvious, tangible things you can spot when a criminal is lying ... sweating profusely, glassy eyes, smell of narcotics or alcohol coming from the vehicle or suspect, open container, not following directions, etc. My argument is that I just don't believe you can "spy a lie" by analyzing which direction the suspect is looking when he answers certain questions. Again, I'm by no means in the know about criminals and their guilty behavior, so all of my opinions are just my own speculations.
    PrincessMoFo and Novice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    OK see I told you I wasn't paying attention but I'm pretty sure she still did time for murder before the appeal.
    I'm being realllly lazy and not looking it up, but I do believe you're right, Faithanne. I think when her murder conviction was overturned, but the false accusation charge stuck, she was released with extra time served above and beyond what she would have served on just the false accusation conviction. So, I guess technically she did serve time for murder before the appeal overturned the actual murder conviction.

So is she being asked about her conviction for slander on her disgusting book circuit?

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I don't know shit about body language and it's not for me to say whether I'm any judge of character but from the brief clips I've seen of her interviews I was struck by how cold she seemed. I used to have some reservations about whether she was guilty or not but now I think she is.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Welcome to the dark side, Kittylady
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I'm not sure if Knox is being asked about her conviction for slander against Lumumba, but if she did she could probably say that she gave it under duress and then almost immediately disavowed it. And then it would seem that Lumumba kind of got his revenge against Kercher through his lawyer who called her "unclean on the outside because she was dirty on the inside", a "demonic, satanic, diabolical she-devil", and a "spell-casting witch, a virtuoso of deceit".

Moreover, if the police had bothered to talk to Lumumba before arresting him, they would know that he had an airtight alibi because of a witness who talked with him in the bar during the time of the murders.

In addition, police also could have waited until they had received the results of the fingerprint check in Kercher's bedroom, which showed that Guede (and not Lumumba, Knox, or Sollecito) had been in Kercher's bedroom. Guede's fingerprints were already on file in Italy, so by checking the fingerprints against their database, they could have had their actual murderer charged before dragging in three other innocent people.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; May 4th, 2013 at 07:31 AM.

^ Why do you call Knox (you made a typo) and Sollecito "innocent people" in the same sentence as Lumumba when Knox and Sollecito are being re-tried? Let's keep things straight until the next trials are over.
    garysgirl1999 likes this.

I'm calling them innocent because the Italian appeals court completely rejected the basis for Knox and Sollecito's original conviction:

"not corroborated by any objective element of evidence and in itself was not, in fact probable: the sudden choice of two young people, good and open to other people, to do evil for evil's sake, just like that, without another reason."

And that the appeals court also said that statements Knox gave implicating Lumumba were given under "great psychological pressure", to use the appeal's court's own words.

ETA: Fixed the typo.

^ I don't care about Knox's psychological pressure. She had ways of dealing with it like cartwheels and yoga at the police station and kissing Sollecito outside the house where her friend was murdered. Oh, and spreading her hands out like a musical when she was taken back to the scene of the crime.

The fact remains that she was guilty and convicted of slander and was sentenced to three years of imprisonment which she served while waiting for the murder trial. Otherwise she would have issued a lolsuit for false imprisonment. Instead, she had to pay Lumumba's costs as well as her own.

So I'm calling Knox and Sollecito "the suspects." Guede has already been convicted and isn't really relevant anymore. Lumumba was a victim of Knox or collateral damage to save her bacon.
    effie2, greysfang and Mel1973 like this.

Αlso under great pressure she spent the morning her roomate was found slautered buying sexy underwear and promising wild sex to her boyfriend,i mean who would do that?You need to be sick in the head..i am not saying mourn if you dont feel like it,but this?And doing carthwheels in jail?I remember her implying sexual harassement from the police too,she took this back later.
    Meanwhile,the other innocent left his home after penning a book too and now lives abroad...
    rollo and Mel1973 like this.

The Appeals Court issued a 145-page document completely debunking the original court's evidence. The Court of Cassation ordered a new trial but they don't rule on the merits of a case. Instead they rule on procedural grounds.

She did accuse the police of mistreatment. Some of those same detectives were charged with official misconduct in another case.

The police officers contend she was given every comfort, including tea and biscotti. They’ve accused her of slander, but their credibility is in question, since they’re in hot water themselves. Four of them, in fact, have been suspended. That includes Amanda’s nemesis, police chief Monica Napoleoni, plus obsessed officers Lorena Zugarini and Stefano Gubbiotti. According to the Italian press,they’re being investigated for ”abusive investigations,” namely poking into the police-protected computer system and threatening the Perugia court’s expert on minors. “She spied on the psychologist,” reads one headline. “Super cop in trouble.” These actions were undertaken “following Napoleoni’s petition to deny her husband paternity rights in their divorce litigation and after the expert’s unfavorable report.” The lawyer for Patrick Lumumba, Carlo Pacelli, is also in trouble. Fond of describing Knox as a diabolical she devil, he’s under investigation for pocketing money earmarked for a client.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; May 4th, 2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Add hyperlink for article

I would say Knox and Sollecito are in more trouble. You can talk about the minor characters until the cows come home.
    Sasha, effie2, greysfang and 2 others like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    But one of the things that she was imprisioned for was the false accusation/witness statements of the bar owner - wasn't it? She's guilty of that...

"The jury upheld Knox's calunnia conviction for falsely implicating bar owner Patrick Lumumba. For this Knox was sentenced to three years in prison, which she had already served, and was ordered to pay Lumumba's court costs of about 22,000 euros"
    Amanda Knox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ordinarily people would be quick to concede that ONLY a murderer would knowingly and deliberately falsely implicate another person for the crime.
    Last edited by Sasha; May 4th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
    effie2 likes this.

Thread Information