Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: "Foxy Knoxy" Amanda Knox gets $4m book deal from HarperCollins

I used to think that Amanda Knox is guilty but not any more.

During the appeal, independent forensics analysts found NO evidence linking either Knox or Sollecito to Kercher's murder.

The mishandling of evidence at the crime scene was EPIC and some of it was even caught on camera.

The knife that was supposedly used to kill Kercher had such a miniscule amount of DNA on it that it qualified as cross contamination DNA.

Knox was questioned for hours and hours by investigators, without benefit of a lawyer. Under those conditions, people will often admit to just about anything, and have. Or they will make confused or contradictory statements.

The evidence at the crime scene implicates only Rudy Guede. Guede's DNA on Kercher, Guede's DNA in Kercher. Guede's DNA on toilet paper in the bathroom. Guede's continued lying about the circumstances of why he was in the room, and what happened, despite evidence to the contrary. Guede had a history of theft and even had been found by police with a 16-inch knife in his possession. Guede didn't implicate Knox in the crime until his appeal, which is kind of odd and self serving.

The appeals court not only found that there wasn't enough evidence to convict Knox and Sollecito, they found them entirely innocent.

The prosecutor of the case, Giuliano Mignini, is a very controversial figure and has had his own legal troubles, which you can find described here.

I compare this case to OJ Simpson as far as the handling of the investigation.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    1. Usually, people run from the US due to a potential death penalty trial. Whatever foreign countries the accused is in, demands the death penalty be taken off the table before accused is extradicted. I think ALL people who commit crimes should be tried where the crime happened. You don't want a trial in the US, don't fucking commit a crime here.
    2. I don't give much of a fuck, I think the bitch is guilty, so send her back.... the question would then be, what if she's found "not guilty" again? How many times do we do this? Until Italy gets it right? Even us dumb Americans don't do that!
    Both the cases I cited the "crimes" had been "commited" on UK soil, not on US soil, but they were "crimes" against US law.... One of which was internet (copyright) stuff.... I think that he would have been happy to be tried in the UK as we have very different laws. The 2nd dude, again, crime not commited on US soil... blah blah blah. Its all very fucked up & one sided.
    Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Well,if the victim was American,or if it was one of relatives or friends,there will be a much different story .Italy is not a third world country,for god,s sake,they know what they are doing.Justice doesnt stop if a nation has financial problems,that is how democracy works.It took so much money to free that girl,i cant imagine a normal person being able to support such a huge campaign.That in itself is suspicious to me.
    I actually think that this is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    That's the thing though Effie, in this particular case it seems like they made enormous mistakes at every turn, which in turn made it very difficult to ascertain what the truth was, so I don't think it looks as if they know what they're doing. I think the only way the truth will ever be known is if somebody makes a confession. Don't get me wrong, I can't make up my mind about whether Amanda Knox is guilty or not (not that my opinion means anything) but I have issues with such a flawed trial taking place over and over again when the evidence appears to be compromised. To me, that's not proper justice, and it doesn't sit well that somebody could be convicted on compromised evidence.
    And I think that this is true too.

I heard on the BBC this morning that the analysts doubt that she'll return to Italy & will just be tried in abstinentia.

None of them need to be present for the retrial.Only if they were found guilty AGAIN ,then we will see.

Well,if the victim was American,or if it was one of relatives or friends,there will be a much different story .Italy is not a third world country,for god,s sake,they know what they are doing.Justice doesnt stop if a nation has financial problems,that is how democracy works.It took so much money to free that girl,i cant imagine a normal person being able to support such a huge campaign.That in itself is suspicious to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I actually think that this is true.
    Actually we hear stories all the time of US citizens being raped and/or murdered and no charges are filed, or no real investigation is even completed. We also have cases on a daily basis of children being taken by a parent to a country that will allow them to keep the child from the other parents. We have citizens imprisoned all over the world who have not gotten fair trials. Hell, we have people who are victimized, including murder, right here on US soil who can not prosecute because the murderer is a diplomat with immunity.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

What I haven't been able to find yet is information that says why Italy's Court of Cassation set aside the appeals court's ruling. Apparently, we are going to have to wait for the written ruling to be issued. The prosecutor general who brought the appeal to the Court of Cassation said that the appeals court improperly ruled on the DNA evidence.

However, I have never seen anything thing indicating that an independent forensics investigator agreed with the prosecutor's interpretation of the evidence (not to mention the investigating team's handling of the evidence). I think it is very unlikely that they are going to find a forensice analyst who thinks that the evidence actually implicates Knox and Sollecito. It's more likely that this will result in even more embarrassment for the prosecutors pushing the case.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Actually we hear stories all the time of US citizens being raped and/or murdered and no charges are filed, or no real investigation is even completed. We also have cases on a daily basis of children being taken by a parent to a country that will allow them to keep the child from the other parents. We have citizens imprisoned all over the world who have not gotten fair trials. Hell, we have people who are victimized, including murder, right here on US soil who can not prosecute because the murderer is a diplomat with immunity.
    And the American Govt under the guide of the CIA is doing the same thing to citizens in their own countries without the benefit of courts, etc. Not 3rd world extremist countries, but in Europe, to Brits, and Greeks and French and Dutch.
    And then Americans wonder why they have such a bad reputation in the rest of the world....

Gold Member

Also, there are murderers who flee the States before they are caught/arrested and other countries (Australia, Canada, Mexico, pretty much all European countries) refuse to extradite them if they think the person will get the death penalty. Basically we have to take the death penalty off the table for the other country to even consider extraditing a fugitive back to the United States.

For example, in 1998, James Kopp killed Barnett Slepian, an abortion doctor, then fled to France. France wouldn't extradite him unless the U.S. promised not to make it a death penalty case.
    sluce likes this.

I heard on the BBC this morning that the analysts doubt that she'll return to Italy & will just be tried in abstinentia.
    Sounds like a lost case.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    If there is no double jeopardy rule, back she goes for a re-trial. I bet the Italians have their ducks in a row this time.
    I cannot bet on that... given the last trial, I'd bet against it. I hope IF Knox did it, she is found guilty. I feel as though she did but I blame that on the soulless look in her eyes and that smug shit-eating smirk on her face all the time and my gut. This trial has some major fucking potential. I will be watching this because I don't recall anything like this happening before. From a historical viewpoint, this could be amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    If the U.S. extradites her, I'll be shocked. If I was her, I wouldn't go willingly and I'd rather forefeit international travel to certain places if it comes to that than go willingly.
    She won't be extradicted. Not gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    How many times do you think they should try her? Just keep doing it until you and the murdered chick's family are happy? It's illogical and irrational not to mention ridiculously expensive. This case has already gotten a trial and an appeal, which is a lot more than most murders get.
    That's a major issue for me too. IF they try her again, she's found "not guilty", does she move on with her life or wait two years until they come for her again?
    None of them need to be present for the retrial.Only if they were found guilty AGAIN ,then we will see.
    I'm serious, I'm rubbing my nerdy little "ID addict" (investigation discovery) hands together in anticipation of what this COULD mean should she be found guilty. I mean, honestly, what in the hell will the US do in the event of that? With our laws against double jeopardy - what will we do?
    This is true and I really feel that this thread is taking a nasty anti-American turn that I hate.
    And the American Govt under the guide of the CIA is doing the same thing to citizens in their own countries without the benefit of courts, etc. Not 3rd world extremist countries, but in Europe, to Brits, and Greeks and French and Dutch.
    And then Americans wonder why they have such a bad reputation in the rest of the world....
    I don't wonder... I get it explained all the time here.
    Americans are stupid.
    Americans are fat.
    Americans are bullies.
    Americans are greedy.
    Americans are gun crazy.
    Americans are assholes.
    Americans are the center of the world.
    Americans are (insert insult here).
    we get it...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

If you are tried in abstentia, convicted in abstentia, do you serve in abstentia? Isn't that kinda pointless?
    sluce and Beeyotch like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

No, you can be tried in absentia, she can't be compelled to go to Italy for the trial, but if she's convicted and sentenced to jail time, the US will have to decide whether or not to extradite her to Italy, and she wouldn't be able to travel to countries that have extradition agreements with Italy where the double jeopardy thing isn't an issue.
    Brookie likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    This is true and I really feel that this thread is taking a nasty anti-American turn that I hate.

I don't wonder... I get it explained all the time here.
    Americans are stupid.
    Americans are fat.
    Americans are bullies.
    Americans are greedy.
    Americans are gun crazy.
    Americans are assholes.
    Americans are the center of the world.
    Americans are (insert insult here).
    we get it...
    This.
    Waterslide likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Yeah I'm not American and I don't know what Amanda's or the victim's nationalities have to do with the case at hand, other than with regard to how american laws and Italian laws differ and extradition treaties and all that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You mean, being tried "in abstentia" doesn't mean Knox is abstaining from this trial? Makes sense to me...

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information