Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FHM Magazine doesn't care about black people?

Well said Crackho

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    ^ slut
    I'm also Jewish by injection. I'm a reformed slut; once I stopped using all of my social lubricants, I turned into a shy, delicate flower.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Shallowness, pettiness, snobbery - we really are all the same underneath!
    your probably right, I take life to seriously ie worry to much

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Okay.

What I don't get is why it is alright for King maagazine and the like to feature all black women but 'mainstream' (AKA white) magazines are criticized for having mostly white women in them. Why can't people just accept that different publications have different audiences and leave it at that? Any 'white' mag is called racist for not having enough women of color on the covers or inside. i don't expect to see a white woman on Ebony Jet or Essence, even though I as a white woman enjoy reading those magazines. I recognize who their targeted demographic is and i'm cool with that. It seems that the 'white' magazines are supposed to include everyone but the 'minority' mags are expected to only have blacks/hispanics, etc. I understand why those magazines focus on certain racial groups and it doesn't bother me so I'm not complaining. It's just that the beauty products that most black women would use aren't geared for me and vice versa. Why can't magazines exist for different groups?

For years complexion in the black community mattered. It has been set in stone since slavery by every generation since. Slaves where given their work assignments by 'shade'... darker slaves worked in the fields, lighter slaves worked in the house. After slavery, some lighter blacks were able to pass as white, and most did to avoid discrimination. Acceptance amongst whites were generally given to those who seemed less frightening, and they were lighter blacks. So, people taught those after them that being light was better than dark... Some people who are dark date light people or procreate with them thinking they will produce a lighter complected child so they would either have it easier or considered very attractive.. The value system, and mentality is screwed.

I am in between... not light, not dark..I love my brown skin!! My mom is very light, so is the majority of my maternal side of my family and never once did I feel inferior or made to feel that way. And beauty comes in all shades, so does ugly...

Rap group De La Soul song Me, Myself, and I had a verse that speaks about this..
    People think they dis my person
    By stating I'm darkly pack
    I know this so I point at Q-Tip
    And he states, 'Black is Black'...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

This is ridiculous. I am ethnic and I don't see glaring omissions. FHM is geared to white males. King is geared to black males.

Personally, as a woman, I don't read either. I prefer substance. If FHM is going to be bashed for not having enough black women on the list, what does that say about King, who features Z-list black celebs? They will feature an ugly woman with butt implants over a pretty one with brains and personality.

They are both objectifying women, so I see them as equal in their worthlessness.

As for the color issue within the black community, it does exist. I have been beaten down for dating other mixed people who happen to be light. Hello, one of my parents is very fair, the other is very dark. It isn't about the color. I like who I like. Djimon Hounsou is just as sexy as Jensen Ackles. Tyrese and Josh Duhamel both had me drooling in Transformers.

Sometimes I think a reason to bitch and whine is one of the major reasons racism, ageism, and all the other -isms are still around.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post

Sometimes I think a reason to bitch and whine is one of the major reasons racism, ageism, and all the other -isms are still around.
    yep I'm ready to move on... we spend way to much time on color instead of just people.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

They are both objectifying women, so I see them as equal in their worthlessness.
    Yep. And it is both ironic and sad that some black women would feel left out by not being objectified by FHM magazine. That's sad coming from a woman when she needs to feel objectified to feel worthwhile.

Honey, the only magazine list I ever aim to be on is Forbes richest!

If T&A is all I have to offer the world, it's time to look at the Jim Jones cocktail.

I don't blame the girls for posing in FHM, they work hard for their bodies, let them show it off. I like the magazine, the stories and 'facts' are always very interesting.

Thumbs down

FHM sucks

^^Honey, how do you like Hard Candy?

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    For years complexion in the black community mattered. It has been set in stone since slavery by every generation since. Slaves where given their work assignments by 'shade'... darker slaves worked in the fields, lighter slaves worked in the house. After slavery, some lighter blacks were able to pass as white, and most did to avoid discrimination. Acceptance amongst whites were generally given to those who seemed less frightening, and they were lighter blacks. So, people taught those after them that being light was better than dark... Some people who are dark date light people or procreate with them thinking they will produce a lighter complected child so they would either have it easier or considered very attractive.. The value system, and mentality is screwed.
    From what I've read, usually the lighter skinned slaves were a result of the slave owners raping the slave women. Since these were their children they let them work in the house and gave them the "easier" jobs.

There are color preferences in all races. In the mostly white elementary school I attended, it was always the blonde, blue-eyed girls who were considered to be prettiest. Me: dark hair and dark eyes.

the funny thing is that I realized while reading this that I used to be guilty of lighter bias too. I'm half pure Italian and when I was young I was super olive. Obviously very ethnic, and I wanted my skin to be lighter like my mom's. Over the years it has actually lightened up and now I kind of miss my Italianess (though not that SHADE of olive, you can't wear so many colors).

I guess the answer is to just stop believing what 'everyone' thinks and decide for yourself what is beautiful. I like guys from all ethic backgrounds, but only if they have kind of boyish features. I am NOT a bear lover in any color LOL!!!!!

I'm FAR more concerned with someone's educational and political background and goals than their skin color. Does that make me smartist?
    The Gen X Eurotrash Jetsetters Club:
    A place for internationally minded celebrity haterz to come together in peace and harmony

Quote Originally Posted by Gen X EJC View Post
    the funny thing is that I realized while reading this that I used to be guilty of lighter bias too. I'm half pure Italian and when I was young I was super olive. Obviously very ethnic, and I wanted my skin to be lighter like my mom's. Over the years it has actually lightened up and now I kind of miss my Italianess (though not that SHADE of olive, you can't wear so many colors).

I guess the answer is to just stop believing what 'everyone' thinks and decide for yourself what is beautiful. I like guys from all ethic backgrounds, but only if they have kind of boyish features. I am NOT a bear lover in any color LOL!!!!!

I'm FAR more concerned with someone's educational and political background and goals than their skin color. Does that make me smartist?
    I have a bit of Italian from my dad's side-- skin is light, but with an olive cast. As a kid I wanted to have light hair and eyes like my mama, because she has always been the most beautiful woman ever to me. She always wanted dark hair and eyes like me though.

I'm with you on the guys. Handsome comes in all colors, but they must be smart.

Once I went out with the most beautiful guy (by Hollywood standards) and he turned out to be as dumb as a box of rocks. Big turn off. I much prefer the funny, witty, quirky types.... usually tall and skinny with kinda big noses.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information