Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree2391Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

fgg

Parents in College Admissions Scandal Agree to Plead Guilty Before Charges are Filed

There has been a very secret play by the U.S. Attorney to get more parents to plead guilty in the college admissions scandal, and what's especially interesting is that prosecutors are putting the squeeze on people who haven't even been charged with a crime.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ, parents who hired ringleader Rick Singer received grand jury subpoenas recently for various documents that could lead to an indictment. Lawyers for the parents got in touch with the U.S. Attorney, who threatened to indict the parents in a similar fashion to Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin and dozens of others.

We're told the lawyers and prosecutors are either in the process of negotiating a guilty plea or have already negotiated it, even before any criminal charges are filed. We're told the U.S. Attorney will file criminal complaints and the parents will immediately plead guilty.

It's unclear how many parents have folded under the pressure, but at least several have.

And, other sources tell TMZ, a number of new indictments are coming down the pipeline and some involve USC. Our sources say scores of parents -- scores and scores -- have already lawyered up fearing they'll be indicted.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/25/colle...c-rick-singer/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Couple who paid to cheat on daughter's ACT and SAT gets 1 month in prison

By Eric Levenson and Brian Vitagliano, CNN
    Updated 8:20 PM ET, Tue October 8, 2019

A federal judge sentenced Gregory and Marcia Abbott to 1 month in prison for paying $125,000 to falsely boost their daughter's ACT and SAT test scores as part of the college admissions scam.

Prosecutors say the couple paid $50,000 to have a proctor correct their daughter's answers on the ACT exam and an additional $75,000 to have the same proctor correct their daughter's answers on two SAT subject tests. The purpose of the fraud was to improve her prospects of getting into Duke, Marcia Abbott's alma mater, the government said.
    The Abbotts both pleaded guilty in May to conspiracy to commit fraud. Prosecutors had asked that they be sentenced to 8 months in prison with a year of supervised release and a $40,000 fine.
    Tuesday's sentence also includes 250 hours of community service, a $45,000 fine and one year of supervised release for each.

Marcia and Gregory Abbott leave federal court after they pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges on May 22, 2019.

The month-long sentence is similar to those given to other parents who participated in the test-cheating aspect of the college admissions scam. The actress Felicity Huffman was sentenced to two weeks in prison and Gordon Caplan was sentenced to one month in prison for similarly facilitating cheating on their children's standardized tests.
    Those parents who paid to get their children into prominent universities under the guise that they were recruited athletes have been sentenced to longer prison stays. Stephen Semprevivo and Devin Sloane were each sentenced to four months in prison for paying these bribes.
    Agustin Huneeus Jr., who participated in both the test-cheating scheme and the athletic recruitment scheme, was sentenced to 5 months in prison.
    Father was CEO of packaging company

Gregory and Marcia Abbott lived in both New York and Aspen, Colorado, the complaint says.
    Greg Abbott was the Chairman and CEO of International Dispensing Corporation, a packaging company for the food and beverage industry, until he took a leave of absence in March.
    In their sentencing memo, the Abbotts asked the government to impose a sentence of probation, saying they met the scam mastermind William "Rick" Singer in early 2018 during what they described as "one of the worst chapters of their lives."

A winemaker was sentenced to five months in prison in the college admissions scam

According to the memo, their daughter was struggling with late-diagnosed chronic Lyme disease, their son was battling drug addiction, and their 31-year marriage was "strained to the breaking point."
    "In many instances during my life, I have shown integrity and taken the right path under pressure, but in this perfect storm I buckled," Greg Abbott said in a letter to the judge. "To every single soul demoralized or offended by my actions, I deeply apologize."
    Marcia Abbott also took responsibility in her letter to the judge.
    "I was broken, and woefully ill equipped to be interacting with a man like Rick Singer," she wrote. "I betrayed my higher nature, and became part of a larger, damaging system. I take that very seriously and take responsibility for it. Dismay, along with regret and contrition, accompany me every day."

Their daughter also wrote a letter to the judge on behalf of her mother.
    "She has a soul that is more beautiful and warm than any other soul I know of, and I am unbelievably fortunate to have such a woman to look up to. I realize you have no way of knowing my mother, but I hope and pray you can glean who she is. She is selfless," she wrote.

"I was broken, and woefully ill equipped to be interacting with a man like Rick Singer," she wrote. "I betrayed my higher nature, and became part of a larger, damaging system. I take that very seriously and take responsibility for it. Dismay, along with regret and contrition, accompany me every day."
    Higher than what???

Also, apparently she still believes it was all Rick Singer's fault. Based on their statements, the judge should have given her a longer jail term.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Higher than what???

Also, apparently she still believes it was all Rick Singer's fault. Based on their statements, the judge should have given her a longer jail term.
    Yep, she's the victim here because she is broken and evil Rick Singer took advantage of her. These people aren't sorry for what they did, they are sorry they were caught.
    lindsaywhit and Witchywoman like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Maybe that’s why they got the 250 hours community service, I’m sure that picking up other people’s trash in an orange jumpsuit will humble them or at least they can hate on it for the 250 hours (each)!
    and the fine is $5k more than the prosecutor suggested. Something tells me that this judge is pissed off.

czb

i hope they don't let her do her community service in aspen.

Lori Loughlin is so fucking arrogant for an actress from a mediocre sitcom and lame Hallmark TV movies. I want to see her go away for a while. It probably won't happen, but she acts like she hasn't done anything wrong.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Next up: these people paying someone $50,000 to do their community service for them.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Next up: these people paying someone $50,000 to do their community service for them.
    I'm surprised that's not a thing. Of course, being naturally good at taking standardized tests does sound more marketable than being naturally good at poking garbage with a stick so they may struggle to find someone to do this for them. It's so hard to find good community service help these days.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    read this.
    loooooong article but worth it, and really puts the whole college admissions scandal into perspective
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...aul-tough.html

in this case yeah the kid got a scholarship he didn’t deserve but for the most part the issue is schools claim to want more diverse students but they also rely on rich kids with shitty grades (but often good SAT scores thanks to thousands spent on tutors to learn how to do well on those tests) whose parents can pay full tuition.

That's a really good article. The use of SAT/ACT scores to winnow out low-income students (who often grow up in homes without books and newspapers) is one of the reasons that 40+ colleges have recently decided not to require standardized test scores in admissions. They've found that hard-working students tend to do well in college regardless of their test scores.
    Jadestone, Novice, sputnik and 1 others like this.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    guaranteed this happens all of the time, especially for the kids who are required to volunteer as part of admissions or scholarships or whatever.
    SHELLEE and BITTER like this.

fgg

Felicity Huffman Begins 14-Day Prison Sentence

Felicity Huffmanhas officially commenced her 14-day prison sentence.

On Tuesday morning the Desperate Housewives star turned herself into authorities. "Felicity Huffman reported today for sentencing to the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, CA. Ms. Huffman is prepared to serve the term of imprisonment Judge Talwani ordered as one part of the punishment she imposed for Ms. Huffman's actions," the actress' rep shared in a statement to E! News. "She will begin serving the remainder of the sentence Judge Talwani imposed—one year of supervised release, with conditions including 250 hours of community service—when she is released."

In addition to the brief stint in prison, Felicity is expected to serve supervised release for one year, 250 hours of community service and pay a $30,000 fine for mail fraud and honest services mail fraud. And it appears that the actress is taking this all in stride. In her court statement, she told the judge, "I take full responsibility for my actions and as a first step for making amends for my crime, I will accept whatever punishment you deem appropriate."

A source previously told E! News, "When she gets out she plans on focusing on her community hours and paying her dues. She has fully accepted her sentence and will see it through."

She's already gotten a head start on her sentence by visiting an L.A. center that supports homeless teens. Huffman and her daughter, Sophia, toured the facility in September and a source revealed that she "seemed to be taking it all very seriously."

Moreover, the star herself said that she fully intends on helping her community beyond the required 250 hours. "I look forward to doing my community service hours and making a positive impact on my community. I also plan to continue making contributions wherever I can well after those service hours are completed," she shared in a statement.

Meanwhile, her husband, William H. Macy, and their two daughters, as well as their family and friends, remain "supportive" of Felicity as she nears the challenging end of the college admission scandal.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1082863...rison-sentence

czb

so she is serving her time up here? LA jails were too crowded?

Guessing maybe that's the nearest federal institution?
    greysfang and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

czb

hmmm.

i think there's one in san pedro. i keep forgetting san quentin is state.

Thread Information