Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344 LastLast
Like Tree2427Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    [...]Unless of course this is all for show and no one really cares about what either of them did.[...]

Well that right there sounds all sorts of probable.

And of course she will spend 8 hours in and be released.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I don’t think federal prison works the same was as county jails.
    if I’m not mistaken, if your sentence is less than a year you have to serve 100% of it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Makes sense. Was just remembering the good old days.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Those were the days!
    czb, Beeyotch, sputnik and 4 others like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Yeah that was sweet. For the 2 or whatever days it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    if I’m not mistaken, if your sentence is less than a year you have to serve 100% of it.
    Is that why the Diguices (from RHNJ) spent so long in jail? Wasn’t their tax fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    This is right. You can’t start earning “good time” until after a year. She’ll “serve” this sentence. Whatever that means. I don’t agree that they should get long sentences but I just know that if this was one of my clients they would get a long prison term which makes me bitter.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Canadian Mom Who Allegedly Bought Son’s Way Into UCLA Arrested in ‘Varsity Blues’ Scandal

Olivia Messer

Reporter

Updated 09.17.19 5:37PM ET

[COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]A Canadian mother who allegedly bought her son’s way into the University of California, Los Angeles, was arrested on Monday night in Spain, making her the 52nd defendant charged in the sprawling college-admissions scandal that earned actress Felicity Huffman a prison sentence last week.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Xiaoning Sui, 48, of Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, was charged with one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud, according to an indictment that was unsealed on Tuesday in Boston federal court. Sui’s alleged crimes were first reported by theLos Angeles Times last month.

[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Sui is one of dozens of parents accused of paying Rick Singer—a former private college-admissions consultant and the ringleader of the nation’s largest ever college cheating and bribery scheme—to facilitate her son’s entry into an elite school.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Sui allegedly wired Singer $400,000 to gain her son admission at UCLA as a fake soccer recruit. Other parents have been accused of paying their children’s way into Yale, Stanford, and the University of Southern California, among other elite schools.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Felicity Huffman, Full House star Lori Loughlin, and dozens of other prominent parents were arrested in March 2019 over their alleged involvement in the scheme, dubbed “Operation Varsity Blues” by the FBI. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Huffman on Friday became the first of 34 charged parents to be sentenced in the case. A federal judge ordered her to spend 14 days in prison, pay a $30,000 fine, serve one year of probation, and volunteer 250 hours of community service after she pleaded guilty in May to paying a Harvard graduate $15,000 to correct her eldest daughter Sophia’s answers on the SAT. The bribe secured Sophia a 400-point bump on the college entrance exam and, ironically, tanked the 19-year-old’s chances of getting into her dream school.

[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Singer told Sui in August 2018 that her son could be “guaranteed” admission to UCLA in exchange for $400,000, according to the indictment. He has pleaded guilty to fraud, racketeering, money laundering, and obstruction.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Laura Janke, a former University of Southern California soccer coach who also pleaded guilty to racketeering charges in May, then allegedly created a fake soccer profile for Sui’s son, which “described him as a top player for two private soccer clubs in Canada,” according to a Department of Justice press release.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Once the profile was fabricated, Sui allegedly wired money to Singer’s sham charity organization, Key Worldwide Foundation, and Sui’s son was admitted to UCLA a few weeks later as a recruited soccer player on a 25-percent scholarship.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(2, 20, 31, 0.85098)]Sui faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison on the charge of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud. She is being held in Spain until authorities can seek her extradition to Boston on the charges.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/colleg...erson-arrested

Wonder who the Spanish want in their quid-pro-quo??
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    This is right. You can’t start earning “good time” until after a year. She’ll “serve” this sentence. Whatever that means. I don’t agree that they should get long sentences but I just know that if this was one of my clients they would get a long prison term which makes me bitter.
    I doubt that one of your clients would get arrested for this type of crime though. I get what you mean though.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Canadian Mom Who Allegedly Bought Son’s Way Into UCLA Arrested in ‘Varsity Blues’ Scandal

Once the profile was fabricated, Sui allegedly wired money to Singer’s sham charity organization, Key Worldwide Foundation, and Sui’s son was admitted to UCLA a few weeks later as a recruited soccer player on a 25-percent scholarship.
    I think this part is what pisses me off the most. This kid of obvious means got a 25% scholarship through outright fraud. Meanwhile, my own kid worked her ass off her entire school career, got legitimately accepted to the top program in the world for her major, also at a UC school, and the “financial aid package” she received was 100% of the tuition and fees—including $30k per YEAR in out-of-state fees—in federal student loans. We knew we didn’t qualify for a Pell Grant, but she literally got nothing but a bill. There seems to be very little money available in the UC system to offset the costs for out-of-state kids, and what is available is incredibly competitive when everyone is coming in with a 4.0. It was an utter kick in the gut.

Call me bitter, but I do think this college admissions fraud took away opportunities from other kids because it diverted financial aid funds to wealthy families who didn’t need help paying for college.

^^^^
    read this.
    loooooong article but worth it, and really puts the whole college admissions scandal into perspective
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...aul-tough.html

in this case yeah the kid got a scholarship he didn’t deserve but for the most part the issue is schools claim to want more diverse students but they also rely on rich kids with shitty grades (but often good SAT scores thanks to thousands spent on tutors to learn how to do well on those tests) whose parents can pay full tuition.
    Last edited by sputnik; September 21st, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
    BrickHouse and Angeli like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I doubt that one of your clients would get arrested for this type of crime though. I get what you mean though.
    No, they wouldn’t. But I’m thinking specifically of a client who stole gum from Rite Aid. He got 3 1/2 - 7 years in state prison. It was different because he had a bunch of prior retail thefts. He was also homeless and his record consisted of survival crime. This case involves a crime of pure selfishness that actually hurt others and these people are walking away basically scot-free. My clients don’t have the means to commit this type of crime which actually makes things worse. That means that committing a crime that (generally) only wealthy people can commit allows you to walk. I’m not surprised as I see the system screwing poor minorities on a daily basis but this kind of major story really punches me in the gut about system inequities. In my state, if this was a state fraud offense, what would happen here is that they would offer diversion IF restitution was paid. The problem of course would be that poor people couldn’t afford diversion but rich people could. So rich people get no record and poor people do. That does happen all the time and it makes me really angry.
    Beeyotch, sputnik, aggie and 16 others like this.

I'm so glad you can articulate all this so well. It is exactly the reason for my anger at the same, I just don't have the expertise and first hand experience to explain in detail like you do.
    sprynkles, Novice and Waterslide like this.

Believe me Nicki, I get what you’re saying. Living in my small town, the courts aren’t corrupt like that. I’ve read many verdicts finding white rich people guilty of many things from murder on a black man to burglary, rape and molestation. I’m actually known for shaking my ponytail while reading verdicts. I only wish that all courts could be like mine.
    Novice, lindsaywhit and sprynkles like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Thread Information