Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree2268Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

Felicity has better lawyers. She also admitted fault and took the plea deal. I mean, maybe she still doesn't think what she did was wrong, but she took responsibility for her actions.Lori and her husband just chose to think that they are rich therefore are entitled to do whatever they want.

czb

felicity has better lawyers but the charges against her were not as terrible as those against loughlin.

i think the argument of greedy colleges is hit the toilet. like her kids' SAT scores.
    C_is_for_Cookie and fgg like this.

i also think Felicity/ Macy hired lawyers with the intent to listen and take guidance to minimize destruction/ attention to case. Lori/ Moss paid their lawyers to tell them what they wanted to hear, apparently.

Huffman has saved the US states the cost of a prosecution by admitting guilt (this goes down well over here so I can’t imagine that the US is any different). She must have agreed to what the lawyers submitted hence the low tariff. “Felicity’s attorney submitted their own docs, recommending she get 1 year of probation, 250 hours community service and the $20k fine.”

fgg

Felicity Huffman Probation Dept. Says No One Was Hurt, So No Big Deal

1:33 PM PT -- We just got the Probation Dept's sentencing report, and the reason the Department thinks no time behind bars is fine is because there is NO VICTIM. The report is clear ... no one lost a penny as a result of Felicity hiring someone to rig the SAT test. The Dept. repeatedly rebuffed prosecutors who claim various forms of loss, including emotional distress, harm to the reputation of the schools, etc.
    This may be the most important sentence, especially for defendants like Lori Loughlin -- "There was no actual or intended loss." The word "intended" is significant, because presumably Felicity wanted to get her daughter into a university -- something that could displace another applicant -- yet the Probation Dept. didn't feel that was an INTENDED loss. This could help Lori argue there was no loss in her case as well.
    Felicity Huffman wants to make it clear to the judge sentencing her -- what she did in the college case didn't hurt anyone, and therefore there's no precedent to put her in prison for even a day.

Sources directly familiar with Felicity's case tell TMZ ... the "Desperate Housewives" actress and her defense team have 2 arguments for her to spend no time behind bars, despite prosecutors recommending a 1-month sentence.

We're told Felicity and co. are pointing to the Probation Department's findings that she should get as little as zero months, because nobody suffered any loss due to her actions. You'll recall, Felicity pled guilty to conspiracy charges for paying $15k to give her daughter a leg up on her college entry exam.

Obviously, Felicity agrees with that "no loss" argument put forth by the probation department. However, in new court docs obtained by TMZ, she also says the prosecution is drawing unfair comparisons between her and other defendants in the case.

According to team Felicity ... the prosecution has cited 2 dozen old cases in which prison time was often handed down to the ring leaders. Felicity says she wasn't the big fish in this scheme, and shouldn't be sentenced like one. In short, she was just a customer of Rick Singer, not a mastermind of his plot.

She cites one case the prosecution is attempting to use as precedent ... where a guy got prison time for hacking a university's system. Felicity says that's an apples to oranges comparison.

Bottom line ... Felicity is hoping the judge recognizes she didn't harm anyone -- especially because her kid didn't even end up attending college this year.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/11/felic...ry-sentencing/
    Waterslide likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

You know, a part of me feels they should give them some time, to underline the seriousness of the fraud.

My problem is that Brock Turner, Rapist, keeps popping up in my head, with his smirk, and his '20 minutes of action' and his 6 months term/3 months out, and then my head starts to explode and I don't see why Felicity Huffman should receive 1/3 of Brock Turner, Rapist's time served.

Probably it's a good thing I'm not a judge.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    You know, a part of me feels they should give them some time, to underline the seriousness of the fraud.

My problem is that Brock Turner, Rapist, keeps popping up in my head, with his smirk, and his '20 minutes of action' and his 6 months term/3 months out, and then my head starts to explode and I don't see why Felicity Huffman should receive 1/3 of Brock Turner, Rapist's time served.

Probably it's a good thing I'm not a judge.
    I don't understand anything about sentencing laws in this country.

I saw some comments elsewhere that Felicity is being a total bitch about this and she's just as bad as Lori, blah blah blah, but of course when you're accused of something, and you've admitted guilt, you're going to ask for the lightest sentence possible. Who wouldn't? Yeah, it's obnoxious, but also to be expected.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    The entitlement is staggering. They need to fire the PR people in charge of these “leaks”. They’re only doing more harm to Aunt Becky and Mr. Target.
    Classic narcissists. Behave wrongly, inappropriately (or illegally) and they whine like a 2 year old. Refusing to accept responsibility for their actions.

I just heard on the radio that Huffman and Macy barely spoke to each other on the plane. I predict both couples will divorce over this.

You can accept responsibility while still trying to stay out of jail. I don’t think Huffman should go to jail. What she did (15k) pales in comparison to the 500k the beckys paid in bribes, and she plead guilty, took responsibility and cooperated right away.
    Also, class resentment is a hell of a drug because comparing this to Brock Turner is beyond ridiculous. One, he’s a rapist so you’re not even in the same universe of offences and two, the fucking judge - the very person representing the legal system that is supposed to hold criminals accountable - thought his well-being and future were more important than those of the girl he raped. Brock never admitted guilt and thinks he’s the victim here, and his father is more worried about his son’s appetite than the girl he raped.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well, I know it's not in the same universe - that's why I have trouble with the sentences being in the same universe. Although, I guess it's not so much Huffman being sentenced to one month that disturbs me, it's that Turner got a slap on the wrist for rape, so there's that. I'm not sure where class resentment comes into it?

I think they should get the exact same punishment a non-affluent, working class person who can't afford expensive lawyers would receive under the same circumstance.
    mostroop and Mivvi21 like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I think they should get the exact same punishment a non-affluent, working class person who can't afford expensive lawyers would receive under the same circumstance.
    but that’s why they hire the expensive lawyers.
    The criminal justice system will only become fair where they is a system where *everyone* gets a public defender with a PD-workload.

^^ Oh, I know the criminal "justice" system is a farce, but it's nice to imagine these narcissistic, entitled assholes getting the same treatment as everyone else.
    mostroop likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Lindsaywhit, I think I misread your post and thought you were comparing Huffman to and Turner to make the point that they are both rich and white and got similarly lenient treatment.
    Personally I don’t think Huffman or most of the parents in the scandal should get jail time, just because I don’t think minor, non violent crimes should be given jail time at all. There are more useful ways to punish these people - large fines, significant community service, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    And I’m sure a working class person would probably receive a disproportionately high sentence, especially if they’re poor and not white, and that’s not right either. You you fix the system by improving the legal services available to those who can’t afford fancy lawyers, not by making it not work for everyone. The lowest common denominator shouldn’t be what people demand. That’s like saying that because some public hospitals suck, private hospitals should be brought down to the same crappy level too.
    It’s like trump supporters who buy trump’s bullshit about “owning the libs” and elites and don’t realise they just let republicans pull a fast one on them by exploiting their class resentment and keeping them happy with that, meanwhile ranking the economy and doing nothing to actually improve those people’s lives.

also, Americans need to send less people to jail for minor, non violent offences, not more. You already have the highest prison population in the world, relative to population size.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information