Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
Like Tree1983Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

czb

1. if the daughter had a LD then her parents could've gotten her an IEP to allow for more time on the SAT. unless the neuro's findings determined that an IEP wasn't warranted.
    2. do we know that macy wasn't in the court room? i didn't see that, just that she relied on her brother for support.
    MohandasKGanja and Waterslide like this.

i don't think huffman did anything that warrants going to jail for. she should pay a fine and get probation or, at the most, house arrest. the same goes for any of the other parents charged in this whose crimes were similar.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Loughlin's smug face and sense of entitlement are enraging. She really doesn't think that she did anything wrong.
    "If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." - Katharine Hepburn

At this point, I feel like a swayed juror in the court of public opinion, but Felicity has acted contrite, she's owned up to what she did through apologizing and pleading guilty to the charges, and I don't see why she would need to be breaking rocks. On the other hand, Lori and the t-shirt guy are behaving like self-righteous idiots (I know they're just being themselves) and that right there makes me want to lock her up and throw away the key at least for a few months.

I'm sure we'll never know, and it's no one's business, but I'm curious why Felicity's kid was seeing a neuropsychologist.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

“We have been working with a neuropsychologist since my daughter was 8 years old and she began receiving extra time on tests since she was 11,” Ms. Huffman said, after asking U.S. District Court Judge Indira Talwani whether she could clarify a few points.
    It doesn't specify here, but I remember reading that it was due to learning disabilities, but honestly, that's no one's business and they could have just said something ambiguous to not out their daughter for something else. Felicity also made it clear to the judge that neither her daughter nor her neuropsychologist knew about the scheme. I'm still unsure about why she didn't just make sure the daughter had extra time (and maybe help) that she would have been entitled to with her disability.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    At this point, I feel like a swayed juror in the court of public opinion, but Felicity has acted contrite, she's owned up to what she did through apologizing and pleading guilty to the charges, and I don't see why she would need to be breaking rocks. On the other hand, Lori and the t-shirt guy are behaving like self-righteous idiots (I know they're just being themselves) and that right there makes me want to lock her up and throw away the key at least for a few months.
    This will make you angrier. Look at the red text, and then burn your Mossimo clothing, LOL:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/...s-high-school/

However, the scheme threatened to unravel after a guidance counselor at Olivia Jade’s school, identified as Marymount High School near Bel Air, raised questions about her athletic recruitment to USC.
    Singer told investigators that the counselor at the all-girls Catholic prep school did not believe that either Isabella or Olivia Jade participated in crew, “and was concerned that their applications may have contained misleading information,” according to the complaint.
    The complaint also describes how Loughlin and Giannulli didn’t take kindly to the counselor’s inquiries. Giannulli went to Olivia Jade’s high school to confront the counselor and to convince him that she participated in crew.
    “The counselor was acting honorably,” Flanagan wrote in the Atlantic. “Loughlin and Giannulli — if the affidavit is to be believed — were in the midst of a criminal operation. Yet instead of hanging his head in shame, Giannulli apparently roared onto the high-school campus apoplectic.”
    The counselor memorialized the confrontation by sending an email to Giannulli later that day, the complaint shows. In the email, the evidently chastened counselor assured Giannulli that USC had no intention of rescinding Olivia Jade’s admission offer.

“I also shared with (the USC senior assistant director of admission) that you had visited this morning and affirmed for me that (your younger daughter) is truly a coxswain,” the counselor wrote.
    That same day, Singer received a panicked voicemail from Heinel: “I just want to make sure that, you know, I don’t want the … parents getting angry and creating any type of disturbance at the school … I just don’t want anybody going into … (the daughter’s high school) you know, yelling at counselors. That’ll shut everything — that’ll shut everything down.”

Elite Member

^^Does that mean that it was Loughlin/Mossimo's blatant cheating that got the ball rolling and revealed the rest? I would love that.

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    ^^Does that mean that it was Loughlin/Mossimo's blatant cheating that got the ball rolling and revealed the rest? I would love that.
    Not sure, but there is a ton of circumstantial evidence that doesn't look good. Check this out. It seems to show knowledge of doing something wrong and how to not alert the counselor, who could flag it. This text refers to an email that Singer has in his possession and apparently has already provided to authorities.

https://toofab.com/2019/05/15/olivia...lli-exclusive/

Loughlin also appeared to refer to the counselor when she sent Singer an email asking for help with Olivia Jade's USC formal application, calling him "our little friend" at Marymount.
    "[Our younger daughter] has not submitted all her colleges [sic] apps and is confused on how to do so," she wrote, according to the DOJ complaint. "I want to make sure she gets those in as I don't want to call any attention to [her] with our little friend at [her high school]. Can you tell us how to proceed?"
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; May 16th, 2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: horrific misspellings

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yes, I am mystified as to why he wasn't there with her. There are very few legit excuses for why you couldn't be with your spouse during one of the most difficult times of their lives. They have always seemed like one of the tightest couples in Hollywood.
    My guess is because Hollywood. Macy shows up it's more pics, press coverage, column inches. Maybe not by a lot, but more. Two stars drawing more attention than one. They don't need the public to believe their marriage is strong so what is the upside, publicity wise, for Macy to show? It may seem superficial to us, but their public images are their livelihoods. I think we are seeing a PR strategy. And a very good one, imo. She pleads, owns it, takes her lumps and Macy steers clear as much as possible to keep the media frenzy down and preserve his rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    It doesn't specify here, but I remember reading that it was due to learning disabilities, but honestly, that's no one's business and they could have just said something ambiguous to not out their daughter for something else. Felicity also made it clear to the judge that neither her daughter nor her neuropsychologist knew about the scheme. I'm still unsure about why she didn't just make sure the daughter had extra time (and maybe help) that she would have been entitled to with her disability.
    You're forgetting the part where the 15K also got the answers corrected.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    My guess is because Hollywood. Macy shows up it's more pics, press coverage, column inches. Maybe not by a lot, but more. Two stars drawing more attention than one. They don't need the public to believe their marriage is strong so what is the upside, publicity wise, for Macy to show? It may seem superficial to us, but their public images are their livelihoods. I think we are seeing a PR strategy. And a very good one, imo. She pleads, owns it, takes her lumps and Macy steers clear as much as possible to keep the media frenzy down and preserve his rep.
    This is what I think too. The court appearances are getting enough coverage as it is, throw Macy in the mix and there will be more. Seems like they are trying to keep it as low-key as possible, keep your head down, plead guilty, get it over with. I also read somewhere that Macy attended her LA hearings, but not Boston. Maybe he's filming and didn't want to hold things up. I don't necessarily think it means he's not there for his wife. She does have her brother with her. Of course, it could also mean this has caused a big rift in their marriage, but I hope not. Even if he wasn't charged, it seems they were in it together.
    lindsaywhit and CornFlakegrl like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Student whose father paid $400,000 bribe to get him into Georgetown sues the college for not realizing he was a fake tennis recruit

• Adam Semprevivo claimed he had tennis experience, but he played basketball
    • His father Stephen Semprevivo was charged with mail fraud conspiracy
    • The student filed a lawsuit and the college announced its intention to expel him
    • He is one of at least 12 students who got in as tennis recruits during the scandal
    • The lawsuit claims college officials should have caught his bogus application
    • He wanted to withdraw from school but Georgetown did not allow him to do so

By CHIARA FIORILLO FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 06:13 EDT, 16 May 2019 | UPDATED: 07:30 EDT, 16 May 2019

A Georgetown student whose father paid $400,000 (£312,000) to get him into the American college is suing the university for not realizing he was a fake tennis recruit with no experience.
    Adam Semprevivo, who had played basketball instead, put the blame on college officials who did not catch his bogus application.
    Los Angeles executive Stephen Semprevivo, his father, pleaded guilty in a Boston court to paying $400,000 to bribe Georgetown tennis coach Gordon Ernst to accept his son as a recruit on the team.

Businessman Stephen Semprevivo, pictured while leaving court in Boston, pleaded guilty to charges that he bribed a tennis coach to get his son admitted to Georgetown

The man, who was charged with mail fraud conspiracy, faces jail time.
    The student said the records he provided to the school proved he had experience in basketball, but not tennis.
    Stephen Semprevivo asked his son to claim he had played competitive tennis all through high school in order for him to get into the college, it is alleged.
    He then claimed he was Academic All American in tennis and basketball and added he belonged to the Nike Federation All Academic Athletic Team.

Semprevivo allegedly asked his son to claim he had played competitive tennis all through high school in order for him to get into the college

Adam Semprevivo enrolled at Georgetown in 2016, but he never joined the tennis team.
    The student, who had a 3.18 grade-point average, wrote a letter in April offering to 'resolve the matter' if Georgetown agreed to allow him to withdraw with no black marks on his transcript and transfer his credits to a new school, the complaint said.
    He decided to sue when the university sent him a letter on Tuesday saying he was prohibited from withdrawing.
    He filed a lawsuit against Georgetown on Wednesday, aiming to stop the school from disciplining or potentially expelling him following his alleged involvement in the admission scandal.

Gordon Ernst, pictured, left Georgetown in 2018 and in March he pleaded not guilty to a racketeering conspiracy charge

Former coach Ernst allegedly accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes

The university announced its intention to expel Semprevivo hours after his lawsuit was filed.
    Georgetown University expelled two students in connection with the admissions scandal, but refused to name them.
    Adam Semprevivo's lawyer, David Kenner, confirmed his client had been expelled.

He told NBC News he would amend the lawsuit and seek Semprevivo's re-admission for the fall term.
    'Failing to get him back into Georgetown, we want him to be able to leave with credits intact with no negative reference in his transcripts. We don't want three years wasted of his life,' Kenner said.
    The student said he had no idea his father, one of the dozens parents involved in the admission scandal, had paid William 'Rick' Singer $400,000 to get him into the college.
    'Without the knowledge of Semprevivo, his father entered into an agreement with Singer to take specific steps for Semprevivo to be accepted to Georgetown,' the suit reads.

Adam Semprevivo was one of at least 12 students designed as tennis recruits from 2012 to 2018 who got in as tennis coach Gordon Ernst accepted more than $2.7 million (£2.10 million) of bribes from Rick Singer, the founder of Key Worldwide Foundation and the mastermind behind the entire scandal, prosecutors said.

It is alleged that both Semprevivo and his son followed instructions from Singer during the application process.
    'When I walk into a room people will normally look up and make a comment about my height — I'm 6'5'' — and ask me if I play basketball,' the application essay read.
    'With a smile, I nod my head, but also insist that the sport I put my most energy into is tennis.'

Georgetown University sent Adam Semprevivo a letter announcing its intention to expel him

Ernst left Georgetown in 2018 and in March he pleaded not guilty to a racketeering conspiracy charge.
    Semprevivo's suit claims the university was aware of Ernst's scam, but still accepted his tuition fees, which mounted to $200,000 (£155,850).
    'In or around 2017, Georgetown's Office of Undergraduate Admissions became aware of irregularities in Coach Ernst's recruitment practices . . . Coach Ernst was placed on leave in December 2017,' the suit says.
    'For the 2018 and 2019 school years, tuition payments for Semprevivo of over $100,000 (and a total of over $200,000 was submitted since admission) were made to, and accepted by, Georgetown.'
    'Even a cursory examination of the two documents (application vs. transcript) would have made it clear they were absolutely inconsistent with one another,' the lawsuit reads.
    Meghan Dubyak, Georgetown spokeswoman, said the school was not aware of Ernst's alleged involvement in the scam until the US Attorney's Office contacted it this year.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-college.html
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

With a smile, I nod my head, but also insist that the sport I put my most energy into is tennis.'

So he was complicit? Maybe he should be grateful to be avoiding a criminal conviction...
    mostroop and crayzeehappee like this.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    1. if the daughter had a LD then her parents could've gotten her an IEP to allow for more time on the SAT. unless the neuro's findings determined that an IEP wasn't warranted.
    2. do we know that macy wasn't in the court room? i didn't see that, just that she relied on her brother for support.
    In our situation it was PTSD and Anxiety disorder from watching both of her parents sustain major injuries requiring many surgeries that causes her to freak out under stressful situations. The pediatrician said the shrink who treats her should write the note. The shrink (Greenwich CT) said 'due to prior issues I never write the note for extended time' (but charges me $350 a visit not covered on insurance).

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess of Verona View Post
    In our situation it was PTSD and Anxiety disorder from watching both of her parents sustain major injuries requiring many surgeries that causes her to freak out under stressful situations. The pediatrician said the shrink who treats her should write the note. The shrink (Greenwich CT) said 'due to prior issues I never write the note for extended time' (but charges me $350 a visit not covered on insurance).
    My sister lives up in Fairfield County. In order to have her little guy accomodated for dysgraphia, he was required to undergo a separate neuropsych evaluation (despite already having a diagnosis and) to get the IEP in place to ensure he had assisstive technology available.

PTSD more likely falls under a 504, and that's done right through the school. A 504 will also provide for testing accomodations. You would need to provide a letter from the physician to the school-- but your pediatrician should be able to provide that.
    Novice likes this.

czb

that is my understanding as well.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread Information