Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast
Like Tree1983Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Oh God, that looks, like, soooo downmarket.
    greysfang and ConstanceSpry like this.

^^^

A lot of people have suggested the paying tuition for underprivileged kids as part of the sentence but I donít think that would pass muster in the appeals courts. You could make them pay fines but having to pay what is basically restitution to parties who have nothing to do with the case? As much as the layperson in me like the idea, it bothers the lawyer in me. It almost smells of a 13th Amendment issue... itís not really on point but it just feels legally wrong.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

^ Thanks, I always love it when we get our experts weighing in.

Actually, in this particular case, each of the cheaters displaced someone who was next on the list, right? So maybe some sort of direct compensation could be awarded to those students? Maybe not, but they were cheated out of that place, and it could be argued that would affect their whole lives; honestly, I really want those kids to know they did it, they made the grade, their work paid off - they had a piece of their future stolen through absolutely no fault of their own.

Even then, how do you prove who those slots would have gone to?
    czb, NickiDrea and crayzeehappee like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

Yeah. The next in line could’ve been a legacy who actually had good grades & board scores ....
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    ^ Thanks, I always love it when we get our experts weighing in.

Actually, in this particular case, each of the cheaters displaced someone who was next on the list, right? So maybe some sort of direct compensation could be awarded to those students? Maybe not, but they were cheated out of that place, and it could be argued that would affect their whole lives; honestly, I really want those kids to know they did it, they made the grade, their work paid off - they had a piece of their future stolen through absolutely no fault of their own.
    I think the other posters are right here. You can’t prove who would have gotten in minus some evidence that there was a waitlist, for example, and that someone was #1 or 2 or whatever on that list.

A few students are already suing (including students who claim that this scandal has “devalued” their degrees), so I guess we’ll see what happens with those lawsuits. I don’t see them going anywhere. These schools reject perfect SAT score 4.3 GPA students all the time, so it would be super hard to prove that you would have gotten in but for these people cheating their way in.
    sputnik, czb and crayzeehappee like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "

Please. If Lori and her t-shirt mogul husband were worried about their poor children being traumatized in court, they would have fallen on their swords and pleaded guilty, like Felicity did.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Feds will seek 4 months jail time for Felicity Huffman for bribing her daughter into college

Tanya McDowell got 12 yrs for sending her son to the wrong school district
    &
    Kelley Williams-Bolar got 3 years $30k fine for sending her daughter to the wrong school district.

Retweet! https://t.co/LwHNjumyEn

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Feds will seek 4 months jail time for Felicity Huffman for bribing her daughter into college

Tanya McDowell got 12 yrs for sending her son to the wrong school district
    &
    Kelley Williams-Bolar got 3 years $30k fine for sending her daughter to the wrong school district.

Retweet! https://t.co/LwHNjumyEn
    And that is really fucked up though not surprising. Twelve years, though? That is beyond fucked up.
    sparkles likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

In fairness, Tanya McDowell didn’t get 12 years for enrolling her kid in the wrong district. She got 5 years for larceny (because she got $15,000 worth of “school services” due to the enrollment). Then she got 12 years on an unrelated case (selling drugs to an undercover police officer), to be served concurrently with the 5 year sentence. 5 years though is still ridiculous, especially because she was homeless at the time. My state has special protection for homeless families when it comes to the school districts that their kids can attend.

These districts pretend that their main concern is taxes but their real concern is keeping their districts segregated from the “riff raff.”

They should be forced to set up and fund scholarships for underprivileged students.
    mostroop and bootspaige like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

They have to get jail time, even if its a short sentence. Have to.
    sparkles likes this.

I read today somewhere in my travels that because Felicity is at the lower end of jail time (and her $15K bribe is also at the lower end, in some cases by a LOT) that she is likely to get 4 to 10 months house arrest while wearing an ankle monitor. I could live with that and call it fair. Not Loughlin though.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Thread Information