Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Like Tree2523Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

czb

^^^ which was partially based on dartmouth.

true story. >15 years ago, i was once at a party that had several legacy kids who each attended the same ivy. they all complained about how HARD it was being a legacy. mr czb and i still chuckle about that today.

eta: commenting to brookie.

^^Ugh. I just could not function in that sort of stratosphere. I am an example of how (admittedly self-perceived) class completely limits you. I'd never even want to make eye contact with these people, if I were to even happen into the off-hand circumstance of being in the same conversation. I would have to excuse myself to the ladies' room constantly.

Pretty much every US Presidents child has fallen in to this category of priveledge "auto-entry." I agree that is wrong and should be punished now that some of falsehoods have been brought to light but no one's degree value is diminished over this - it has been going on in some form or fashion for a very long time. It isn't right and i understand the anger but i didn't even know who Olivia Jade was until this broke and i'm sure i'm one of millions that falls into that category. She will be fine with the "no press is bad press" mentality of the social media world. Lori may have been dropped from Hallmark, but i imagine she too will bank on this in some way. And if not, unless her husband leaves her to protect their fortune, she will always have a solid gold pot to piss in.

Elite Member

[QUOTE=ChemicalHelena;3717489]^^^ I do agree with Mamet here: The unqualified may be accepted for many reasons, among them, as Legacies, and on account of large donations made by their parents. I do not see the difference between getting a kid into school by bribing the Building Committee, and by bribing someone else. But, apparently, the second is against the Law. So be it.

All that shit needs to stop.

Then maybe they should also stop admitting unqualified athletes simply because they can throw a football, dunk a basketball, row crew or play water polo. Or maybe they should stop admitting foreign students (who pay higher tuition) instead of state residents whose parents live, work and pay taxes within the state. (This is an issue at state universities such as UCLA where 97% of the current freshman class had a 3.75 or higher GPA in high school.)

[QUOTE=Angeli;3717689]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalHelena View Post
    ^^^ I do agree with Mamet here: The unqualified may be accepted for many reasons, among them, as Legacies, and on account of large donations made by their parents. I do not see the difference between getting a kid into school by bribing the Building Committee, and by bribing someone else. But, apparently, the second is against the Law. So be it.”

All that shit needs to stop.

Then maybe they should also stop admitting unqualified athletes simply because they can throw a football, dunk a basketball, row crew or play water polo. Or maybe they should stop admitting foreign students (who pay higher tuition) instead of state residents whose parents live, work and pay taxes within the state. (This is an issue at state universities such as UCLA where 97% of the current freshman class had a 3.75 or higher GPA in high school.)
    I mean, I agree it should stop but how? It really seems to be a fact of life that money, and the consequent connections, buys nearly everything.
    Angeli and weathered1 like this.

czb

i guess i see a LARGE difference between legacy entry and bribery. a legacy will typically have some credentials that get them in. some legacy parents contribute NO $$$ but the kid still gets in because of their own credentials. so let's not paint all legacies with the same brush. and falsifying sports records or having a ringer take the SATs for the student is WORSE. i can't believe mamet actually thinks all these things are the same.

and i say this as the first person in my family to graduate from college. so NOT a legacy.
    Waterslide, Nevan, rollo and 2 others like this.

Being a legacy for the Greek system is big. They recruit your ass like hell.
    bootspaige likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    Being a legacy for the Greek system is big. They recruit your ass like hell.
    Yes! They do. Even if an older sibling was in that sorority or fraternity, it's major. If that person pledges, it's known to all within ear shot that they are a "legacy".

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I think you're right about Huffman turning herself in. I don't think that would have been an issue. Lori could consult with her lawyer beforehand whereas Felicity was blindsided at her home.

As a side note, I think it's interesting how quiet this story was until the arrests started. I don't recall seeing anything hinting at this anywhere and I don't think there were any blinds about it. You would have thought you'd hear some rumblings...

Also just heard that Sephora dropped Olivia Jade and whatever collaboration she had going with them. I wonder if Amazon has issued a statement, apology, or anything else in light of this.
    LOL, I'm so sorry, I read/posted in the other thread about OJ first and repeated almost everything you said.

I had a Psych professor that was an evil tyrant. If you missed a mid term or final, the only way you could make it up was with three T/F questions. On the morning of one of my midterms, I ran down the stairs to get my bag and fell on my ass (which I've done at least 2,000 times). I cut my arm and elbow wide open and *really* needed to go to the ER. Instead I wrapped it really tight and I took that damned midterm bleeding through my shirt. Got a 100. But college was always a panic trigger for me ... had to keep the 4.0GPA up. I still have a scar on my elbow from the fall and I swear I broke a tiny piece of a bone spur off (I have bone spurs on my elbows that result in seriously pointy elbows). Damn Psych professor ... he was a licensed psychiatrist too and I took three of his classes. He was EVIL with his grading and testing practices.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

By my junior year at school, they'd drop you from the class if you missed more than three. I had to drop a class because I had to go to a funeral (but that professor was an extra special dick anyway). And a different time, I had dropped one class and signed up for another in the correct time frame, but the professor told me I couldn't stay in his class because I missed the first day. I don't think going to Fiji to work on my influencer job would have been considered an excused absence. Was this girl homeschooled? She seems to have no idea how life works.
    She seems to be getting a crash course now.

But I have to feel a little sorry for her. Not only did her mom force her to go to college against her will, now she has totally RUINED her life!!! /sarcasm but I'm sure there's lots of door slamming and screaming in that house right now. "I lost Sephora, MOM!!!!! And how many Instagram followers!?!?"
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    She seems to be getting a crash course now.

But I have to feel a little sorry for her. Not only did her mom force her to go to college against her will, now she has totally RUINED her life!!! /sarcasm but I'm sure there's lots of door slamming and screaming in that house right now. "I lost Sephora, MOM!!!!! And how many Instagram followers!?!?"
    I can just hear her whining. "But Mooom, you ruined my whole entire lifeeee. I didn't even want to go to stupid college and you made me! And now everyone thinks I'm literally like this criminal and like I'm stupid." As the door slams...yep.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^ Well, yeah, but her mom did kinda screw the pooch for the daughters. I don't have much sympathy for these girls, because they were definitely in the know; That said, if mommy is telling you this is okay, mommy has probably groomed herself a couple of entitled twits, so the girls get a little bit of something. Not sympathy, but something. Plus, Olivia Jade (gads, what a name) already had built herself a business, so she has some smarts and initiative... maybe?

I can just hear her whining. "But Mooom, you ruined my whole entire lifeeee. I didn't even want to go to stupid college and you made me! And now everyone thinks I'm literally like this criminal and like I'm stupid." As the door slams...yep.
    This EXACT scenario has already happened. Olivia the ungrateful cheater is supposedly losing her shit with Mama Aunt Becky and Daddy Target Designer. Shes claiming its all their fault she lost all her paid sponsorships from her Instagram account. Sephora dropped her ass. Not only that, Momma Aunt Becky was just booted off the Hallmark Christmas movie set she was filming on and cut from further projects. The whole family is ruined. Not that I feel sorry for them. They have millions. But Mossimo will probably pack up and head back to Italy and start over knitting skull slippers.

The lawsuits are starting to roll in too, from students and parents. All the celebs involved in this will be mercilessly dragged for many weeks to come. Time to pop a 10 gallon bag of popcorn
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    ^^ Well, yeah, but her mom did kinda screw the pooch for the daughters. I don't have much sympathy for these girls, because they were definitely in the know; That said, if mommy is telling you this is okay, mommy has probably groomed herself a couple of entitled twits, so the girls get a little bit of something. Not sympathy, but something. Plus, Olivia Jade (gads, what a name) already had built herself a business, so she has some smarts and initiative... maybe?
    Some people are saying she and her sister should go down for this, too. I'd think the FBI will keep things simple by charging only the parents. I have no respect for Olivia Jade because she celebrates being willfully ignorant and that makes my skin crawl, but her mom should have done the smart thing and let this girl have her YouTube channel and Instagram followers because she did seem motivated to do that and had enough charisma to pull in a million or two subscribers. I don't know what Lori and Mossimo were thinking in not encouraging education in these girl's lives and then deciding college was worth all of this.

COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDALUPDATED 9:00 A.M.Olivia Jade’s Comment Section Is a Hellscape

By Opheli Garcia Lawler

Olivia Jade Giannulli. Photo: Phillip Faraone/WireImage

Olivia Jade — vlogger, Instagram influencer, daughter of Full House’s Aunt Becky, and a fashion designer — is getting a lot of heat from other teens on her widely followed social media pages, in the wake of reports that her parents paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to get her into college.
    On Tuesday, Jade’s parents, Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli, were indicted on felony fraud charges for paying a bribe of nearly $500,000 to get Jade and her sister into the University of Southern California — under the guise that they were recruits for the school’s rowing team. Neither of the young women actually participated in crew.
    Making matters worse, Jade seems far more interested in influencing than in actually attending college (though she has posted spon-con from her dorm room). Last year, she had to post an apology video after coming under fire for proclaiming in a vlog, “I don’t know how much of school I’m going to attend … I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
    Jade’s 1.3 million followers weren’t thrilled by the allegations that her parents bought her way into school. “Please do a video for how you prepared for the SATs,” reads one comment on her Instagram page.
    “Are you allowed to drink alcohol? You might lose your athletes scholarship!! Be careful!!!” says another, on a photo that shows her posing behind a giant glass of wine.
    “[A]bsolute queen of rowing we stan,” reads a third.
    The post that’s drawn the most ire, though, is a photoset of Olivia wearing a letterman’s jacket. (It’s from Opening Ceremony, not the USC rowing team, as many people seem to believe.) In addition to a slew of comments berating her for benefiting from fraud, there were also impassioned pleas for her to try to do something … decent. (Olivia was last spotted leaving a yacht in the Bahamas on Wednesday, according to TMZ.)
    “Girl this is just sad… You could have at least been grateful for the spot you stole from another deserving student (who probably actually rows!!) but instead you posted constantly about never going to class and hating education and just wanting to party,” one girl wrote. “I’m sorry that you’re getting hate, I don’t necessarily think ALL of it is deserved…but you really fucked up and you need to make amends. Use your fame and fortune to create a scholarship for underprivileged kids or something.”
    In the wake of Tuesday’s scandal, Loughlin has deleted all of her social media accounts. Jade’s are still up, for now, including a tweet from 2017 that reads, “It’s so hard to try in school when you don’t care about anything you’re learning.”
    And now, people are coming for Jade’s Sephora reviews. Back in December, Jade launched the Olivia Jade x Sephora Bronze & Illuminate Palette, which now features numerous scathing reviews with words like “entitlement” and “cheater.” “I thought this would give me the ‘just-came-from-crew-practice,’ ‘spent-hours-rowing-on-the-lake’ glow,” commented one person. “Turns out it was all a sham!”
    Some are even threatening to boycott Sephora until the company cuts ties with Jade — a move that seems likely at this point.

“I will not spend another dime at Sephora until they drop this entitled, toxic idiot,” commented another person. “Run away, Sephora. Run away.”
    https://www.thecut.com/2019/03/lori-...er-attack.html
    Brookie, lindsaywhit and Tati like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I guess there is a little part of me that feels sorry for the kids. Of course, I think they for sure had knowledge of what they and their parents were doing. I mean, they took pictures that they knew were being doctored to show they were rowing in crew. Come on! But, these are their parents, telling them to do this and that this is a good idea. How fucked up is that? The people that are supposed to teach you right from wrong are including you in their little scheme. It really sucks. However, after hearing Olivia Jade speak, it's really, really hard for me to feel sorry for her. She's just another useless rich kid who is totally clueless on how the real world works. Like any regular teen has their own makeup brand being sold at Sephora??

It seems that I live in the hotbed of this action. USC is huge here. Everyone here seems to be a USC alum and are always trying to get their kids and their friends kids, and their neighbors friends cousins kids into the school.

Thread Information