Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree2523Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    More than one today I think and the first of many I'm sure. I heard on the news that two legit students filed against their uni (forgot which one) alleging that their prestigious degrees were now diminished due to the scandal.

I was trying to think of other celeb spawn with "prestigious" degrees and I really couldn't think of any, except the one Willis girl who graduated from Brown. Wonder how much Bruce and Demi paid for that? I don't think she's actually done anything with it, unless walking the streets topless counts.
    Yes, it was Stanford (someone down thread mentioned it too). They sued because they feel their upcoming degrees are tainted. I'm not sure how I feel about their argument. I mean, I thought there would be similar lawsuits from Penn State students/alumni after the Sandusky/Paterno scandal (I'm still angry about it, maybe a little irrationally) and there wasn't. I mean, two totally different sets of laws, but I still think Penn State is tainted now because of how it was handled and that wasn't fair to previous or current students either. I know Penn State is not up there with an Ivy League college, but it's way up there in state colleges.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Maybe they really were trying not to show favoritism? Huffman and Loughlin would be bringing the most publicity to this scandal so possibly they wanted to appear that they were doing everything by the book. I'm sure once the news of this started spreading, the other people accused really would be flight risks and they couldn't really control how those people would react. I guess the difference is that Trump is above the law in his own mind, unfortunately.
    I could buy that, but they did treat Huffman and Loughlin differently. I'm sure if Huffman was allowed to turn herself in, without the early morning raid, she certainly would have. I can see your argument though. I don't know WTF I care anyway. I'm not supporting what these people did and I think they should be punished for it. I just go back to my original post and say that Trump has done far worse for far longer, and he's sitting in the WH.
    Waterslide and weathered1 like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by Cartermrc View Post
    This has even impacted Oregon State University near us. Used an OSU photo on the website. OSU is saying huh? and insisting it be taken down.
    https://www.gazettetimes.com/news/lo...c4afc36fc.html
    No one pays a huge bribe to go here! It's a good university-never mind the OSU Beavers Football team- but hardly an "elite" school.
    Off topic...I'm mad at OSU for dropping their swim team. Now the only state school in OR and WA that you can swim for is WSU....freaking WSU in cold ass Pullman.
    BrickHouse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Yes, it was Stanford (someone down thread mentioned it too). They sued because they feel their upcoming degrees are tainted. I'm not sure how I feel about their argument. I mean, I thought there would be similar lawsuits from Penn State students/alumni after the Sandusky/Paterno scandal (I'm still angry about it, maybe a little irrationally) and there wasn't. I mean, two totally different sets of laws, but I still think Penn State is tainted now because of how it was handled and that wasn't fair to previous or current students either. I know Penn State is not up there with an Ivy League college, but it's way up there in state colleges.

I could buy that, but they did treat Huffman and Loughlin differently. I'm sure if Huffman was allowed to turn herself in, without the early morning raid, she certainly would have. I can see your argument though. I don't know WTF I care anyway. I'm not supporting what these people did and I think they should be punished for it. I just go back to my original post and say that Trump has done far worse for far longer, and he's sitting in the WH.
    I think you're right about Huffman turning herself in. I don't think that would have been an issue. Lori could consult with her lawyer beforehand whereas Felicity was blindsided at her home.

As a side note, I think it's interesting how quiet this story was until the arrests started. I don't recall seeing anything hinting at this anywhere and I don't think there were any blinds about it. You would have thought you'd hear some rumblings...

Also just heard that Sephora dropped Olivia Jade and whatever collaboration she had going with them. I wonder if Amazon has issued a statement, apology, or anything else in light of this.
    weathered1, Nevan and Lalasnake like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Makes me wonder about Brooke Shields. She earned a BA in Romance Languages from Princeton.
    Mrs P likes this.

I believe that Jodie Foster and Mayim Bialek did earn their graduations, but for some others, it seems rather questionable right now.
    On the other hand, Huffman and Loughlin are probably just small fishes who are now getting crucified in order to muddy the waters while a lot of rich, influential people are busy covering up.

Olivia Jade, Lori Loughlin’s Daughter, Stands to Lose Brand Deals Over College-Admissions Scandal

By TODD SPANGLER

Todd Spangler

NY Digital Editor@xpanglerFOLLOWTodd's Most Recent Stories

• CREDIT: ROB LATOUR/SHUTTERSTOCK

UPDATED: Olivia Jade Giannulli, daughter of actress Lori Loughlin, is a YouTube beauty vlogger and social-media star with millions of followers.

She’s also (for now) a freshman at the University of Southern California. But in the wake of her mother being implicated as part of a broad college-admissions bribery scam — alleging that Loughlin illegally schemed to get the 19-year-old enrolled at the university — Olivia Jade is likely going to lose the lucrative brand-sponsorship deals she’s landed over the years.

HP has already cut its ties with Olivia Jade. In a statement, the company said, “HP worked with Lori Loughlin and Olivia Jade in 2017 for a one-time product campaign. HP has removed the content from its properties.” A post promoting HP’s Sprocket photo printer is currently still live on Olivia Jade’s Instagram account.

Sephora said on Thursday it has dropped its business deal with the influencer. “After careful review of recent developments, we have made the decision to end the Sephora Collection partnership with Olivia Jade, effective immediately,” the cosmetics retailer said in a statement.

RELATED

Hallmark Channel Cuts Ties With Lori Loughlin Amid College Admissions Scandal

College Admissions Scandal: 10 Ways to Know How Bad the Crisis Is

In addition, online fashion retailer Lulus also said Thursday it has no plans to work with Olivia Jade again. “Lulus has not worked with Olivia Jade since August 2018 and we have no plans to do so in the future,” Colleen Winter, co-founder and CEO of Lulus, said in a statement.

Olivia Jade had also cut brand deals with partners including Amazon, Dolce & Gabbana, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Smashbox Beauty Cosmetics, Smile Direct Club, Too Faced Cosmetics, Boohoo, and Unilever’s TRESemmé.

A rep for Olivia Jade declined to comment, as did Estée Lauder Companies, which owns Smashbox and Too Faced. The other brands and companies Variety reached out to did not respond to requests for comment.

“It wouldn’t come as a complete surprise if the brands currently working with Ms. Giannulli took a closer look at the status of their relationship with her and possibly reconsidered next steps for engagement,” said Yuval Ben-Itzhak, CEO of social-media marketing firm Socialbakers. “Brands should always do their proper due diligence on the content and news associated with influencers that they would engage with and are engaging with over time.”

Loughlin, best known for her role on “Full House” (and Netflix’s “Fuller House” revival), on Wednesday turned herself in to the FBI in advance of a court hearing. The actress and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, allegedly paid $500,000 to have their two daughters — Olivia Jade and her older sister, Isabella Rose — designated as recruits for USC’s crew team. Prosecutors said those claims were false as neither of the Gianulli sisters is a member of the university’s rowing team. Mossimo Giannulli was released on $1 million bond Tuesday.

Some 50 people so far have been named as participating in the scam, which law enforcement officials dubbed “Operation Varsity Blues.” Those include “Desperate Housewives” actress Felicity Huffman and TPG Growth founder Bill McGlashan.

The status of Olivia Jade and Isabella Rose at USC going forward is unclear. In a statement Tuesday, USC said it fired two of the employees named in the scandal and said it is cooperating with law enforcement on the investigation. The university did not address the status of the Giannulli sisters or other students.

“USC is in the process of identifying any funds received by the university in connection with this alleged scheme,” its statement said in part. “Additionally, the university is reviewing its admissions processes broadly to ensure that such actions do not occur going forward.”

Currently, Olivia Jade has 1.9 million subscribers to her YouTube channel and 1.3 million Instagram followers.

“I don’t know how much of school I’m going to attend,” she said in a
    YouTube video posted on Aug. 14, 2018, the day she started at USC. “But I do want the experience of game days, partying. I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.” Two days later, she posted a video in which she apologized for the comments.
    https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ls-1203162624/
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Lori Loughlin Loses Hallmark Channel Roles After College-Scam Indictment

"We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations," the company said. "We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions that air on the Crown Media Family Network channels involving Lori Loughlin, including Garage Sale Mysteries, an independent third-party production."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...arrest-1194858

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Off topic...I'm mad at OSU for dropping their swim team. Now the only state school in OR and WA that you can swim for is WSU....freaking WSU in cold ass Pullman.
    i agree, hopefully Pullman has indoor facilities? Even we have a good indoor and outdoor pool in the town.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Lori Loughlin Loses Hallmark Channel Roles After College-Scam Indictment

"We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations," the company said. "We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions that air on the Crown Media Family Network channels involving Lori Loughlin, including Garage Sale Mysteries, an independent third-party production."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...arrest-1194858
    I'm actually surprised. These people are not going to have a pot to piss in soon...

This just made me laugh:

Someone's not happy about her current situation in life. Looks like she could cut a bitch.....

“I don’t know how much of school I’m going to attend,” she said in a YouTube video posted on Aug. 14, 2018, the day she started at USC. “But I do want the experience of game days, partying. I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.” Two days later, she posted a video in which she apologized for the comments.

Crap, I had a political science class where if you missed just three days you'd get knocked down a grade. I had the name of 'plague' because I'd show up to school hella sick to keep my grade up.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    Damn, if I had 6,5 million to give awaye, my kid wouldn't have to work ever. Why waste it on a college when you are that rich?

Perhaps that particular child was an international student whose parents were desperate to get him/her into a good American university so he/she could get a job here afterwards, become a citizen and bring the rest of the family here.

^^^ Possible, but I would think that with 6,5 million bucks to spare, you'll get into the country a lot easier.
    Beeyotch, Angeli, Nevan and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    one more thing ... being a legacy doesn't automatically ensure admission into the specific uni. if they let in all legacies, then there would probably be no room for anyone else. and some of the legacies i'm thinking of had good grades and strong SATs. but their parents didn't donate for a library. maybe that is the difference? i have no doubt the admission system is corrupt and capricious.
    It worked in "Animal House".
    SHELLEE likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    “I don’t know how much of school I’m going to attend,” she said in a YouTube video posted on Aug. 14, 2018, the day she started at USC. “But I do want the experience of game days, partying. I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.” Two days later, she posted a video in which she apologized for the comments.

Crap, I had a political science class where if you missed just three days you'd get knocked down a grade. I had the name of 'plague' because I'd show up to school hella sick to keep my grade up.
    By my junior year at school, they'd drop you from the class if you missed more than three. I had to drop a class because I had to go to a funeral (but that professor was an extra special dick anyway). And a different time, I had dropped one class and signed up for another in the correct time frame, but the professor told me I couldn't stay in his class because I missed the first day. I don't think going to Fiji to work on my influencer job would have been considered an excused absence. Was this girl homeschooled? She seems to have no idea how life works.
    Mrs P likes this.

Thread Information