Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree2523Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    ^^^ She said they showed up (several federal agents) with guns drawn at 6am. I don't believe it was a no knock. She knew there was an investigation and was willing to turn herself in, but the feds had different ideas. She had no clue they were coming that morning, or coming that hard. I'm kind of on the fence about the show of force. I'm guessing they would say that they came guns drawn with no notice to preserve evidence ... this is something we've heard when a few of Trump's cronies had no knock raids in the early morning hours. Cohen, Stone, etc., all knew there were investigations going on before they were raided, and apparently at least so did Huffman and Macy. The fact that they showed up at Lori Loughlin's house in the same way, arrested her husband and determined she was elsewhere filming a show makes me wonder. If Lori was allowed to turn herself in more than 24 hours later, why did they raid the other's houses? I mean, I guess there are some on the list of indictees that could be a flight risk, but I certainly don't see Huffman (and Macy, for that matter) running from arrest. I get that the charges are serious and scary sounding and what they did is illegal ... I guess I just can't reconcile that Trump has done FAR worse on a regular basis. He's bought people off throughout his life and career. Why is this different?
    Maybe they really were trying not to show favoritism? Huffman and Loughlin would be bringing the most publicity to this scandal so possibly they wanted to appear that they were doing everything by the book. I'm sure once the news of this started spreading, the other people accused really would be flight risks and they couldn't really control how those people would react. I guess the difference is that Trump is above the law in his own mind, unfortunately.
    fgg, lindsaywhit, Nevan and 2 others like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    first disgruntled student lawsuit filed today ....
    More than one today I think and the first of many I'm sure. I heard on the news that two legit students filed against their uni (forgot which one) alleging that their prestigious degrees were now diminished due to the scandal.

I was trying to think of other celeb spawn with "prestigious" degrees and I really couldn't think of any, except the one Willis girl who graduated from Brown. Wonder how much Bruce and Demi paid for that? I don't think she's actually done anything with it, unless walking the streets topless counts.
    emkat likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't think she's actually done anything with it, unless walking the streets topless counts.
    Now wait a minute! Rolling up your Brown diploma and tucking it under your boobs can make them appear perkier during your topless walk.
    Waterslide and Trixie like this.

Well, Lourdes is still set to graduate from University of Michigan, I think. That was kind of a low-key choice of schools and I didn't think she'd get as far as she did...so there's that.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    More than one today I think and the first of many I'm sure. I heard on the news that two legit students filed against their uni (forgot which one) alleging that their prestigious degrees were now diminished due to the scandal.

i think it was stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Well, Lourdes is still set to graduate from University of Michigan, I think. That was kind of a low-key choice of schools and I didn't think she'd get as far as she did...so there's that.
    U of M is pretty hard to get into for undergrad. it's low-key compared to the ivies but pretty esteemed.

see, these questions point to the validity of the stanford student lawsuit. in it, those two girls contend that their stanford degrees are now undervalued since there they think some people will question how they were accepted. and that's what we're doing here, questioning which celeb kids actually earned their college entrance.

Right. U of M only has a 26% acceptance rate so (until I were to hear otherwise), I would assume she had to have some decent grades or something to get in there. But yeah, it doesn't sound as obviously impressive as Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, etc., but still a great school.

I would start wearing a shirt that says, "I'm a poor nobody who was accepted to _________"

It would be easier to count the celebs who earned their degrees. Al Franken came from a middle-class family without a lot of money. He got a perfect 800 on his SAT's. Went to Harvard. His printing salesman dad never finished high school.

czb

yeah - i agree with that.

it sucks for these kids who actually worked hard and made it into these schools. but, i was just thinking how a lot of PoC have had to deal with this over the years ... people assuming they got in because of affirmative action.
    lindsaywhit and weathered1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    see, these questions point to the validity of the stanford student lawsuit. in it, those two girls contend that their stanford degrees are now undervalued since there they think some people will question how they were accepted. and that's what we're doing here, questioning which celeb kids actually earned their college entrance.
    Well, yeah. I will side-eye every one of them from now on!
    Waterslide likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

As someone that works for a university, wish I could say more but have been told to keep out of it.

My friend went to Boston University. They had a school called the College of General Studies (CGS), but everyone called it Crayon Glue Scissors because that was where they would stick the kids who were too dumb to get in on their own but whose parents paid their way
    Mrs P, Waterslide, Trixie and 4 others like this.

The university I went to had a guy in his 40s who had some sort of fairly severe learning disability (I don't know what) in regular classes - it was a well known fact his parents paid the school to send him there so his son could have the experience of going to college. I always thought that was odd at the time, but I really don't know if he was actually taking someone else's spot. Talking about it now, it sounds like the plot of an indie movie.

But a lot of us found out when we got there that they also offered remedial classes for some people and we were all wondering how those people got in when we had to get in with our grades.
    Mrs P likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    My friend went to Boston University. They had a school called the College of General Studies (CGS), but everyone called it Crayon Glue Scissors because that was where they would stick the kids who were too dumb to get in on their own but whose parents paid their way
    emkat likes this.

Silver Member

This has even impacted Oregon State University near us. Used an OSU photo on the website. OSU is saying huh? and insisting it be taken down.
    https://www.gazettetimes.com/news/lo...c4afc36fc.html
    No one pays a huge bribe to go here! It's a good university-never mind the OSU Beavers Football team- but hardly an "elite" school.

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information