Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree2005Likes

Thread: Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin, CEOs Arrested in College Admissions Cheating Scam

So I saw a video of Olivia Jade yesterday and she started it out by saying, "Hi, welcome back to my channel. I'm Olivia Jade...obviously." I burst out laughing.

Here's the dorm room video for Teen Vogue (sorry if it's been posted, I'm having trouble keeping up with this thread). She says Amazon is going to shoot part of her room later and then she says, "This video is not sponsored by anyone." What even does that mean? Is she that stupid or that dishonest or...? It's hard to tell? Or it's a YouTube technicality that's flying over my head?

And how old is she? Why does she look like she's been filled and plumped like someone three times her age?

ETA - Watched a bit longer and she basically says she swears the video is not sponsored, Amazon just really helped her decorate her room. I didn't know they offered complimentary interior design services now.

ETA 2 - Should I give her and Amazon credit for not placing actual books (you know, what Amazon used to be known for selling as they put all the bookstores out of business) on her side of the room or did even she know no one would be fooled by that? It's kind of amusing, though.
    Last edited by Waterslide; March 13th, 2019 at 11:46 PM.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Actor Felicity Huffman departs an initial hearing for defendants in a racketeering case involving the allegedly fraudulent admission of children to elite universities, at the U.S. federal courthouse in downtown Los Angeles, California, U.S., March 12, 2019. REUTERS/Mike Blake

I probably missed it somewhere, and I apologize, but did she have any idea she was going to be arrested or did the Feds just show up to her house?

I was curious what kind of educational backgrounds she and Lori had. Felicity went to Putney School, Interlochen, and NYU...it says she just attended NYU, Circle in the Square Theater School, and RADA, but nothing about graduating. WHM went to Goddard in Vermont.

Lori seems to have a high school diploma and was already modeling and acting when it was time to go to college so I guess she was trying for something a little extra for her daughter, but obviously went about it in the worst way possible.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by mella View Post
    Except the Loughlin spawn in foisting herself on the public as an "influencer" (wtf actually is that ?). I feel sorry for all the lower middle class/ working class/ poor kids who would love to attend but don't have the resources to bribe officials and have to compete for college spots with cheaters .

We just had a university application workshop at school . The Counsellor said it will not be easy getting into the universities for which my son is on target. It is really what they are looking for that year. If i could, would I try to buy my way in , probably, but only because he actually has the grades and the brain. But for these parents to send their kids, who don't have the grades nor actually want to go to college, makes me fume.

College applications are so stressful. My son has always said he didn't want to go to US but now his top 3 are all US.

Elite Member

David Mamet to English translation: "I can't believe they didn't game the system the legal way like every other rich, white person. They should have asked me how, I too have mediocre offspring. We've been friends for ages, I would've totally hooked them up. "
    https://jezebel.com/david-mamet-thin...fel-1833278448

David Mamet Thinks It's Super Unfair That His Friend Felicity Huffman Has to Face the Consequences Of Her Actions

Ruh Ro! Playright David Mamet has stepped in to defend the characters of his friends Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy after they were caught paying a proctor to raise their daughter’s SAT scores. According to Mamet, such lovely people do not deserve to be punished for flagrantly attempting to game the system with their wealth. Punishment should only be for poor people!

In a statement to the Hollywood Reporter, Mamet wrote:

“I worked for very many years in and around our Elite Universities. I am able to report that their admissions policies are an unfortunate and corrupt joke.

“The unqualified may be accepted for many reasons, among them, as Legacies, and on account of large donations made by their parents. I do not see the difference between getting a kid into school by bribing the Building Committee, and by bribing someone else. But, apparently, the second is against the Law. So be it.”

Actually, I feel slightly better about the validity of the admissions process if the daughter of two well-known celebrities still couldn’t get into [checks notes]...USC? I figured private schools had an underground system that just fast-tracked wealthy scions straight to graduation day.

Mamet then makes a plug for he and Macy’s theater company (in operation for 35 years, New York City real estate be damned!) before getting back to the matter at hand.

That a parent’s zeal for her children’s future may have overcome her better judgment for a moment is not only unfortunate, it is, I know we parents would agree, a universal phenomenon.

If ever there were a use for the Texas Verdict, this is it. For the uninitiated, the Texas Verdict is: “Not Guilty, but Don’t do it Again.”

In other words, rich white people already get whatever they want. Why should they start facing consequences now?
    ChemicalHelena likes this.

^^^ I do agree with Mamet here: The unqualified may be accepted for many reasons, among them, as Legacies, and on account of large donations made by their parents. I do not see the difference between getting a kid into school by bribing the Building Committee, and by bribing someone else. But, apparently, the second is against the Law. So be it.”

All that shit needs to stop.

“Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

This is just one criminally-minded con artist in one state who got a bunch of dipshit parents to pay millions to get their dipshit kids into prestigious colleges and took down a bunch of dipshit coaches and test coordinators with him. I’ll bet there are others all around the country.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I probably missed it somewhere, and I apologize, but did she have any idea she was going to be arrested or did the Feds just show up to her house?
    i'm pretty sure i read that they raided her house which means she didn't know.

Lori Loughlin’s daughter Olivia Jade was on yacht of USC official when mom was charged

Lori Louhglin’s daughter was celebrating spring break on a yacht owned by a USC board of trustees member the same day her mother was ensnared in a widespread college bribery case, according to a new report.

Loughlin’s daughter Olivia Jade was on Rick Caruso’s yacht in the Bahamas when federal prosecutors announced her mother would be charged with paying bribes to get her daughter accepted to USC, TMZ reported.

Olivia Jade and Caruso’s daughter, Gianna, are friends and appear in social media posts together, the gossip site reported.

Loughlin, who starred in the hit sitcom “Full House” in the 1990s, paid $500,000 with her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, to get their two daughters into the University of Southern California — by pretending the girls were crew athletes, prosecutors said Tuesday.

Jade returned to the US after her mother was charged, according to the report.

“My daughter and a group of students left for spring break prior to the government’s announcement yesterday,” Caruso told TMZ. “Once we became aware of the investigation, the young woman decided it would be in her best interests to return home.”

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/13/lori-...m-was-charged/
    Brookie and Waterslide like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

^^^ She said they showed up (several federal agents) with guns drawn at 6am. I don't believe it was a no knock. She knew there was an investigation and was willing to turn herself in, but the feds had different ideas. She had no clue they were coming that morning, or coming that hard. I'm kind of on the fence about the show of force. I'm guessing they would say that they came guns drawn with no notice to preserve evidence ... this is something we've heard when a few of Trump's cronies had no knock raids in the early morning hours. Cohen, Stone, etc., all knew there were investigations going on before they were raided, and apparently at least so did Huffman and Macy. The fact that they showed up at Lori Loughlin's house in the same way, arrested her husband and determined she was elsewhere filming a show makes me wonder. If Lori was allowed to turn herself in more than 24 hours later, why did they raid the other's houses? I mean, I guess there are some on the list of indictees that could be a flight risk, but I certainly don't see Huffman (and Macy, for that matter) running from arrest. I get that the charges are serious and scary sounding and what they did is illegal ... I guess I just can't reconcile that Trump has done FAR worse on a regular basis. He's bought people off throughout his life and career. Why is this different?
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    duke may have applied a different number of credits to each course so that is probably not a valid criticism.

there may have been easy classes at duke just like there are at many universities, but i personally would not knock the value of a duke degree. just sayin.
    Per Duke's website, that is exactly what they do:

Is Duke on the semester-hour system?

Yes Duke is on a semester term system, but uses a credit system. Most courses are 1.0 credit, and the normal course load is four courses (credits) each semester. A 1.0-credit course at Duke is similar to a three- or four-hour course at another university.

czb

um, i understand plenty about duke. the number of hours for a course was not the question.

i was responding to travelbug implying she worked harder for her degree at a state school.

What I remember from UMCP:

3.0 credits - most classes - usually met 3 times a week for 1 hour, I think.
    4.0 credits - classes with labs. For example, when I took general chem, per week you had three (3) Mon-Wed-Fri 1- hour lectures (in a hall with 310 other students), at least one discussion class, on Tue or Thu. And one (1) three-hour lab per week. Physics classes also had 3-hour labs, but I can't remember if you got 4 credits for them.
    2.0 credits - PE type classes

I took Calc 3 twice in order to pass. Same with Differential Equations. Same with Physic 2. Same with Dynamics. And Assembly Language/Computational Math. By the time I changed my major and actually graduated, I had accumulated something like 157-170 credits. (6-year plan).

czb

one more thing ... being a legacy doesn't automatically ensure admission into the specific uni. if they let in all legacies, then there would probably be no room for anyone else. and some of the legacies i'm thinking of had good grades and strong SATs. but their parents didn't donate for a library. maybe that is the difference? i have no doubt the admission system is corrupt and capricious.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    um, i understand plenty about duke. the number of hours for a course was not the question.

i was responding to travelbug implying she worked harder for her degree at a state school.
    So sorry to have misinterpreted your top statement in my quoted post.

czb

no apology needed.

first disgruntled student lawsuit filed today ....

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information