Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree375Likes

Thread: Fashion Designer Kate Spade found dead

^ What ADel and CornFlakegrl said. She should never have done this to her daughter. Suicide is contagious.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    ^ What ADel and CornFlakegrl said. She should never have done this to her daughter. Suicide is contagious.
    I had mentioned on the movie page that I had seen the movie about Sylvia Plath, the poet who committed suicide. What I didn't mention was that the woman that Plath's husband (Ted Hughes) left her for also committed suicide several years and killed her daughter while doing. Then, in 2009, Plath's and Hughes' son Nick committed suicide.
    rollo and I'mNotBitter like this.

Yes, I'm not saying that it always happens or that it's inevitable. But she's given lifelong misery to her daughter.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

OCD

Not to be a wet blanket, but this goes far deeper than just being able to ďget helpĒ. I have a daughter who suffers from severe crippling depression and no drug combo so far has helped her in any way. Therapy, all the things on board and sheís still in hell. It fucking sucks.

My dad shot himself and survived, with a traumatic brain injury, and his mom committed suicide in her 40ís. Iíve shared all this before, but thatís why I say it scares me that people who can obtain the very best medical help still donít always find relief. Itís so tragic my brain canít even really process it.

I wish there was actual help. Right now the best thing the mental health system does is put someone in a psych ward until the accute phase is over and suicidality is reduced, pump them full of anti-psychotics and then tell them to follow up with their primary care provider, for rich people Iím sure there are wonderful places to receive support and care until youíre in a better headspace, but for everyone else itís not like that. And insurance simply wonít pay for them.

I donít have the energy to type type out my one brush with the ER for intense suicidal feelings, but I can say in America many large hospitals donít even have a psych unit, or psych staff. Can you imagine if an ER got a patient in full cardiac arrest and having them shrug and say we just donít have the resources here. That is what itís like for mentally ill people. Our problems arenít even considered bad enough to rank as emergencies or actual medical problems. Cause you know, we can just knock it off and stop being drama queens, etc. I will never go to the hospital again for suicidal ideation. Also, if they donít have a bed in a local mental hospital you just donít get admitted. Imagine if they did that to cancer patients, car accident victims etc. Suicide is an emergency just the same, but itís treated like a paper cut in emergency rooms.

I donít blame people for committing suicide; I blame our medical system for failing them.
    Last edited by OCD; June 5th, 2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    I hate seeing the word suicide. I wonder what happened. It really scares me when people who seem to have it all still can’t find wellness/happiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    I am so sad, she is one of my favorite designers. I'm sad for her daughter, I can't help but wonder if she got a poor heath diagnosis? Just seems like she had a lot to live for....
    Depression knows no race, color, gender, age, or socio-economic status.

Wow: it says the note "instructed the teen to seek answers from her father.
    Spade was upset over “problems at home,” said a source. The source did not elaborate."

Kate Spade found dead by hanging at her Upper East Side home after telling her daughter it's not her fault in suicide note

By Graham Rayman, Rich Schapiro, Noah Goldberg and Reuven Blau
    Jun 05, 2018 | 12:30 PM

Fashion designer Kate Spade was found dead in her apartment in an apparent suicide.

Iconic designer Kate Spade hanged herself with a scarf in the bedroom of her Upper East Side home — and left a note telling her daughter it wasn’t her fault, sources said.

A housekeeper found the body of the 55-year-old fashion maven inside her Park Avenue apartment about 10:10 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

Spade’s husband Andy, the brother of comedian David Spade, was home at the time. But the couple’s 13-year-old daughter Frances was at school, sources said.

The note left by Spade, in addition to absolving her daughter of responsibility, instructed the teen to seek answers from her father.

Spade was upset over “problems at home,” said a source. The source did not elaborate.

Spade was a 30-year-old former magazine editor in 1993 when she launched a line of sleek handbags that grew into a $2.4 billion global empire.

“We are all devastated by today’s tragedy,” her family said in a statement. “We loved Kate dearly and will miss her terribly. We would ask that our privacy be respected as we grieve during this very difficult time.”

Reached Tuesday afternoon, Spade’s sister Eve Brosnahan struggled to speak amid her sadness.

“It’s very difficult,” a crying Brosnahan told the Daily News, politely declining to give a full interview.

“I can’t right now. I just can’t.”

Spade’s shocking death left some of her devoted customers sobbing in the streets.

“Every girl in the world knows of Kate Spade,” said Atlanta tourist Carter Boughner, 42, tears rolling down her face after she learned the news while walking by Spade’s apartment.

“Why would (she) do that?”

Shelley Bitt, who used to work retail for Kate Spade New York in California before moving to the Upper East Side, said she saw the famed designer walking down the street just a few days ago.

“It’s so sad,” said Bitt, 21. “I was just a really big fan of her brand. I knew her by the brand. When I moved here, I definitely knew her face.”

Spade’s official cause of death was pending the outcome of an autopsy. But police officials said the totality of the evidence left little doubt that Spade took her own life.

"There was a note left and the contents of the note, physical state of the apartment and statement of the witnesses lead us to believe it was an apparent suicide,” said NYPD Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea.

Kate Spade New York released a statement lamenting the “incredibly sad news.”

“Although Kate has not been affiliated with the brand for more than a decade, she and her husband and creative partner, Andy, were the founders of our beloved brand,” it said. “Kate will be dearly missed.”

Born Katherine Brosnahan in Kansas City in December 1962, Spade attended an all-girls Catholic high school. She graduated from Arizona State University with a degree in journalism in 1985.

Eight years later, after a stint as an accessories editor at Mademoiselle magazine, she launched Kate Spade. Her partner on the new line of handbags was her soon-to-be husband, Andy Spade.

NYC Medical Examiner remove the body of designer Kate Spade from her apartment in Manhattan on Tuesday. (Anthony DelMundo / New York Daily News)

The company, in those early days, showed little signs of the global success story it would become.

“We were still not making any money,” Spade recalled of the early years during an interview for NPR’s “How I Built This” podcast in February 2016.

“Nobody was making a salary,” she added. “I just remember thinking, ‘I think we need to shut it down.’”

But her handbags, with their modern look and bright pops of color, went on to attract legions of loyal buyers. Soon Kate Spade bags were lining the shelves at such high fashion meccas as Saks Fifth Avenue and Barneys.

In 1996, the Council of Fashion Designers of America honored Spade with a prestigious award — "America's New Fashion Talent in Accessories."

The brand took off, with Kate Spade soon becoming a household name synonymous with affordable luxury.

Spade parlayed her fame into three successful books, “Manners,” “Occasions,” and “Style.”

She sold the company for $125 million in 2006 and walked away a year later to focus on the couple’s then-2-year-old-daughter Frances. Coach snapped up the brand for $2.4 billion in 2017.

Spade returned to the fashion world in 2016 when she launched the Frances Valentine line of luxury footwear and handbags.

That same year, she organized what was her seventh benefit for the Brain Injury Association of Kansas and Greater Kansas City.

Spade’s devotion to the cause was rooted in the death of her close childhood friend Amy Thompson, who was shot in the head in a 1986 robbery.

In all, Spade helped the organization raise more than $300,000.

“She was a hometown girl who never forgot her roots and never forgot the place where she came from and the people she loved,” said Robin Abramowitz, president of the organization.

In a 2016 interview, Spade said the decision to start the new brand was in part motivated by a desire to set an example for her daughter.

“I think what's nice is that she gets to see both the stay-at-home mom and the working mom and know there is an option," Spade told the Kansas City Star.

"One is not better than the other. It's my choice and that's amazing. And even though we're launching the new brand, she is my priority. And I'm still making time for class mom duty."
    Brookie likes this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    Depression knows no race, color, gender, age, or socio-economic status.
    perfectly said. I have sensed this recent shift in the universe over the past 2 years and there is a lot of hopelessness going around- between the rich, the poor, the old, the young. I am not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer but IMO I feel we (the world) are heading into some dark times. And sadly those who suffer crippling depression, these dark times may be to difficult for some to handle.
    ADel, weathered1, needmeds and 2 others like this.
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

I'm not sure why your quote triggered a memory for me, but, something about the medical community not truly believing in mental illness might by why.

I did legitimately try to kill myself one time. I feel a lot of shame about it. My stomach was pumped, and I was in a medically induced coma for a few days. (then psychiatric ward).

Anyway, before I completely passed out, I vaguely remember the emt's jostling me, and best case interpretation, just trying to provoke me. But they were mocking me, calling my name, telling me to wake up, and stop faking them out. To stop pretending to be passed out, and stop playing a game to get attention. I can't even believe I'm posting this. I'd like to think I've moved beyond things, but this is part of the reason mental illness is so hard to admit. No matter what, someone thinks you are playing a game. I'd rather keep this shame to myself.

Edit: I was responding to OCD's post, not sure why it didn't quote for me

(post: Not to be a wet blanket, but this goes far deeper than just being able to ďget helpĒ. I have a daughter who suffers from severe crippling depression and no drug combo so far has helped her in any way. Therapy, all the things on board and sheís still in hell. It fucking sucks.

My dad shot himself and survived, with a traumatic brain injury, and his mom committed suicide in her 40ís. Iíve shared all this before, but thatís why I say it scares me that people who can obtain the very best medical help still donít always find relief. Itís so tragic my brain canít even really process it.

I wish there was actual help. Right now the best thing the mental health system does is put someone in a psych ward until the accute phase is over and suicidality is reduced, pump them full of anti-psychotics and then tell them to follow up with their primary care provider, for rich people Iím sure there are wonderful places to receive support and care until youíre in a better headspace, but for everyone else itís not like that. And insurance simply wonít pay for them.

I donít have the energy to type type out my one brush with the ER for intense suicidal feelings, but I can say in America many large hospitals donít even have a psych unit, or psych staff. Can you imagine if an ER got a patient in full cardiac arrest and having them shrug and say we just donít have the resources here. That is what itís like for mentally ill people. Our problems arenít even considered bad enough to rank as emergencies or actual medical problems. Cause you know, we can just knock it off and stop being drama queens, etc. I will never go to the hospital again for suicidal ideation. Also, if they donít have a bed in a local mental hospital you just donít get admitted. Imagine if they did that to cancer patients, car accident victims etc. Suicide is an emergency just the same, but itís treated like a paper cut in emergency rooms.

I donít blame people for committing suicide; I blame our medical system for failing them. )

I cut my wrists in high school. Not much, but there was a little blood. When the school called my mom and she picked me up, she was so furious with me for causing her so much embarrassment. I'm sorry if I derailed this thread, but depression is a real problem, and people just don't want to see it as a real illness.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Silver Member

Iím sorry, but you do NOT do this to yor 13 year old daughter FOR ANY REASON. My daughter is going to be 16 in July. She would NEVER recover.

"Instructed teen to seek answers from her father"? Oy. That sounds like Dad might have been stepping out.

If that's the case, what a disaster. Kate's note does her daughter no favors. Her daughter will no doubt feel that while it may not have been her direct fault, she was clearly not enough to live for.

Awful. That poor girl.
    Angeli, rollo, fgg and 1 others like this.

Many many hugs to you people, and I'm so glad you're still around to contribute to us.
    dexter7, needmeds, dksnj and 7 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Gold Member

Would a scarf be enough for someone to take their own life? Aren't suicides usually done with something that...would get the job done? God, that sounds so morbid.

That kind of depression that OCD wrote about is something I can't imagine. I said the same thing when L'Wren died. I see it as being a complete blackness, far beyond helplessness or the depths of sadness.

That note isn't ringing true to me right now. Was it found and the content was shared with whomever and it got out? The public rarely if I ever hears about a note. I'm waiting that one out.

I didn't know about her family but that makes Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon) her niece. I don't know how that little girl is going to carry on. I hope her father is present and there for her and I hope they get her a therapist asap.
    twitchy2.0 and fgg like this.

I lost someone close to suicide about 8 years ago, and since then i do not judge people that kill themselves any more than I judge people that die of cancer or heart attacks. Illness is illness. Suicide can be a terrible manifestation of illness.

My deepest sympathies to her loved ones.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information