Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree400Likes

Thread: Evan Rachel Wood 'Marilyn Manson horrifically abused me for years'

Marilyn Manson Says Abuse Allegations Are 'Distortions of Reality,' Dropped from Multiple Projects

His comments come after former fiancée Evan Rachel Woods called him out by name, accusing the singer of grooming, brainwashing and manipulating her.

Hours after "Westwood" star Evan Rachel Woods, called him out by name with very serious allegations of abuse when they were engaged, Marilyn Manson took to Instagram with a vehement denial.
    After talking about how he's always been a "magnet for controversy," Manson said that "these recent claims about me are horrible distortions of reality."

He went on to emphasize, "My intimate relationships have always been entirely consensual with like-minded partners. Regardless of how - and why - others are now choosing to misrepresent the past, that is the truth."

In the hours following the allegations, Manson was dropped by his record label. His upcoming episode for the Shuddeer "Creepshow" anthology has reportedly been pulled, and he will be removed from an upcoming episode of Starz' "American Gods," where he had a minor recurring role.
    Wood, who was 18 when she first met Manson, then 36, alleged that he "started grooming" her as a teen and "horrifically abused" her for years. The couple got engaged in 2010, but the engagement did not last the year.
    "I was brainwashed and manipulated into submission," she wrote. "I am done living in fear of retaliation, slander, or blackmail." In the wake of her post, Vanity Fair notes that four other women came forward with their own, thus Manson's use of the plural in his statement.
    In her statement, Wood said that she is also calling out "the many industries that have enabled" her alleged abuser, and that she is standing "with the many victims who will no longer be silent."
    Wood has been a vocal advocate for victims of abuse since as early as 2016, when she spoke to Rolling Stone about being a victim of sexual abuse and domestic violence, as noted by TMZ.
    Two years later, she spoke with Congress about being a rape victim, pushing for the Sexual Assault Survivor's Bill of Rights to be passed in all 50 states, also detailing physical and sexual abuse, threats of violence, gaslighting and more, as noted by Vanity Fair.
    Until Monday, she had never named anyone as her alleged abuser. Still, there was speculation that it was Manson she was talking about, due to the public nature of their relationship and the timing of her comments. He publicly denied any wrongdoing as recently as this fall, per the outlet.
    https://toofab.com/2021/02/01/marily...ns-of-reality/
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

^^^She was 18, he was 36 and famous. So the power imbalance was clear from the start. The "horrible distortions of reality" must have been the idea that they were equal in even one way.
    And I used to like him, he said alot of intelligent things about the Columbine High school shooting.

I read about this yesterday, from several articles, I pieced together that:

1) Rose McGowan had nothing but nice things to say about her relationship with him, and gave interviews that made their relationship sound boringly normal and domestic, even. He used her status as the spark for the MeToo movement in order to defend himself against many other abuse allegations.
    2) Dita has said she left because he was cheating on her with ERW toward the end of their marriage. But that she also dealt with his disturbing behavior by making sure she was constantly working, always travel. So it sounded like she was escaping him, possibly because she'd suffered his abuse?

I really don't get the "she knew what she was signing up for" attitude I saw in comments all over the internet. She was a teenager, he was a celebrity in his late 30s. And even if she wasn't, her being dumb doesn't make it her fault that he abused her. It shifts focus and responsibility from him for his horrific acts. It's an appalling thing to say.
    crayzeehappee, czb, holly and 20 others like this.

czb

but i keep saying - we have to do better by educating our daughters (and sons) about what is abuse. what is acceptable. and why/when you have to leave.

^^^^
    this.
    yes, a lot of people victim blame but i don't think it's the same thing to say 'she knew what she was signing up for' (which puts the blame on her) as it is to say that anyone could have seen this coming while acknowledging that she was too young/inexperienced/vulnerable/there was too much of a power imbalance but the reality is even with all the education in the world, we're never going to be rid of abusive creeps and it's important to raise girls and young women so that they know how to identify red flags and abuse, to have the confidence to get out before they can be coerced, and to not feel ashamed and stay silent if they're ever abused.
    saying this doesn't mean i'm absolving abusers of their responsibility or that i don't think they should be punished, it just means i accept that i live in the real world, not the world i want, and that there will always be abusers and rapists and assholes.

there's a tendency in feminism to not make that distinction at all, to eschew all nuance, for a black and white world where you either stand with the victim and the conversation can ONLY be about how awful the abuser is and how he must pay for his actions, or you're victim blaming if you so much a suggest that educating women and girls to prevent becoming victims of abuse in the first place (starting with not educating little girls to be people pleasers who must always be 'nice' and put their needs last) should be a part of the toolbox, alongside placing the blame on the abuser, where it belongs. but when you have women who go from one abusive relationship to another, yes, the abuser is to blame but there is also something going on with the woman that she needs to address in order to stop being attracted to these men in the first place. you also have to educate the public so that people will be more willing to step in and help as opposed to turning a blind eye and hiding behind the 'it's none of my business' excuse.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^^ We've been doing that (referencing CZB's post). It's also been helpful that our daughter has watched her own friends be in abusive relationships and been in the position to advise them.

I wanted to also mention that the breakup between Rose McGowan and Marilyn Manson was pretty bad. Manson talked about her on Howard Stern's show years ago and implied that she could not be trusted, and that when she moved her stuff out while he was on tour, his dad supervised it so that she didn't steal anything. Whether that actually happened or not, that's not something you would put out there publicly unless you were trying to portray someone as immoral/a thief.
    sputnik, maryk, Lalasnake and 3 others like this.

czb

we have to teach our daughters to be warriors, not victims. to make them understand that as much as possible, they can make decisions and that they have agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I read about this yesterday, from several articles, I pieced together that:

1) Rose McGowan had nothing but nice things to say about her relationship with him, and gave interviews that made their relationship sound boringly normal and domestic, even. He used her status as the spark for the MeToo movement in order to defend himself against many other abuse allegations.
    2) Dita has said she left because he was cheating on her with ERW toward the end of their marriage. But that she also dealt with his disturbing behavior by making sure she was constantly working, always travel. So it sounded like she was escaping him, possibly because she'd suffered his abuse?

I really don't get the "she knew what she was signing up for" attitude I saw in comments all over the internet. She was a teenager, he was a celebrity in his late 30s. And even if she wasn't, her being dumb doesn't make it her fault that he abused her. It shifts focus and responsibility from him for his horrific acts. It's an appalling thing to say.
    I understood that a lot of his behaviour was to do with addiction - but I was reading at the time from a DVT platform.

I'm not wanting to "victim blame" but I think that we frequently do know what is wrong/right.

ERW could have got herself into a situation that she couldn't get out of - it happens.
    Given that MM was off his head (allegedly) most of the time, you can't predict behaviour IMO.

I think that while it is correct that men should not abuse women, I don't think that it ever hurts to do a dynamic risk assessment to protect our own safety.
    czb, sputnik, KrisNine and 4 others like this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

Had a massive facebook fight with my best friend who posted something along those lines like "yeah he's an abuser, who's surprised?" and as a victim of abuse myself (yeah, I also "knew" he was bad news, so I guess my years of suffering and PTSD are my fault?) I found it so out of line and victim blaming.
    So what if we're not surprised?
    Do we just shrug ERW's suffering away because she should have read his biography and stayed away?
    My friend was like "yeah but look, I smoke, despite the "smoking kills" everywhere on the packet, I'm not gonna act surprised if someday I have lung cancer" ... like yeah, but social security will STILL pay your bills, whether you're surprised or not so what is the fucking point?

And yeah, she was 18 ffs.
    You think you're so grown up at that age, when you really are just a kid, and an easy prey

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    And I used to like him, he said alot of intelligent things about the Columbine High school shooting.

I love his music, I was a huge fan and I still believe he's a clever dude but his behaviour is beyond gross.
    Lalasnake likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    we have to teach our daughters to be warriors, not victims. to make them understand that as much as possible, they can make decisions and that they have agency.
    I agree, and in a way I wrongly assume that this is a given. Even if we all do that, I still don't feel it's helpful or sympathetic to abuse victims to say, well she should have known better or what exactly did she think he was going to be like.

I think we can educate and tell our girls (and boys) all the right things but it's still hard to get them to understand what it will look and feel like in real life. Personally, reading real life accounts by others--like I read here, and reddit comments--helped me get a better perspective on how insidious this is and can happen to a lot of people.
    czb, sputnik, Novice and 4 others like this.

czb

oh yeah, i think even with coaching and education, this (abuse, manipulation of power) will still happen.

i can remember back to way earlier in my career, there was a guy who was kind of stalking me at work and trying to create situations where we would have to work together even though we were on different projects and there was no work need. he was probably only 10 years older than i, but more senior. if i didn't have the support that i did at work (the very senior manager really liked me), i think that situation would've had a different outcome. and if i didn't advocate for myself, yeah, i could've been put in a very compromised position. even when i told some female colleagues about him, their response was, wow, you should take this as a compliment, he is so sexy and educated. my 20 year old self was grossed out. i mean, this guy would LEAR at me. make excuses to come to my office. ick.
    Novice and Beeyotch like this.

The thing is she was 18. She had little life experience and an abuser in their 30s with experience of manipulating adults is going to find her an easy mark.
    I always found Brian Warner to be very vanilla, he tries so hard to be outrageous & "different".

The other thing is that we need to teach to recognise"cohesive control" - it's the whole "boiling a frog" principle, start small & gradually turn up the heat.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

I really appreciate all your comments as I think about what to say and how to teach my daughter (9) about being a strong woman and not allowing something to happen like this to her.

ERW had been in Hollywood for years but she was still a kid when this started, he was a 36 year old adult who had been in many previous relationships. The power dynamic was completely unequal. He has always creeped me out and their relationship at the time seemed so inappropriate.

^^^^^
    i don't know what her family situation was like so no idea if she had present and supportive parents and a support network, or if she was left to fend for herself like a lot of child/teen actors.
    Sassiness likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well evidently People has an article about him being dropped by his music label due to the allegations.

I wonder if he could sue her for slander since the abuse allegations were never proven or charged in court. (Right?) I hope not, what a nightmare.

https://people.com/music/marilyn-man...AEwQh1tAN8AfAs

Marilyn Manson and Loma Vista Recordings will no longer work together.

After five women, including actress Evan Rachel Wood, alleged they had been sexually, physically and emotionally abused by Manson, 52, on Monday, his record label announced it will no longer work with the singer.

"In light of today's disturbing allegations by Evan Rachel Wood and other women naming Marilyn Manson as their abuser, Loma Vista will cease to further promote his current album effective immediately," the label wrote on Instagram. "Due to these concerning developments, we have also decided not to work with Marilyn Manson on any future projects."

Earlier today, Manson's artist page on the label's website had been removed, according to Billboard.

AMC's Shudder has also pulled Manson's upcoming segment on Creepshow, PEOPLE can confirm.

The decision to no longer work with Manson comes after Wood and four other women claimed that they had been abused and raped by the singer.

"He made me feel like him cutting me, burning me, his fist in my mouth was 'our thing,'" wrote Ashley Lindsay Morgan, one of his alleged victims, on Instagram. "I don't want him to do this to anyone else, and I've felt responsible for others getting hurt for so long. I just thought it was somehow my fault."

"I was brainwashed and manipulated into submission. I am done living in fear of retalation, slander, or blackmail," wrote Wood in her own post. "I am here to expose this dangerous man and call out the many industries that have enabled him, before he ruins any more lives."

A rep for Manson did not immediately respond to PEOPLE's request for comment. Manson has consistently denied such claims in the past.

Lalasnake likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information