Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Eva Mendes is Pregnant with Ryan Gosling's Baby

Interview with Violet Grey

New motherhood:
    “I’m completely exhausted. I thought my wild nights were over but these are some of the wildest nights I’ve ever had.”

She doesn’t have a nanny… yet: “I’m doing it without a nanny for now but I’m open to the idea of having a nanny in the future. Esmeralda has two amazing grandmothers and incredible aunties who come over and really help me. But as far as a nanny or a night nurse, for me that part of being a mother at this early stage is the struggle of not being able to sleep and not knowing what I’m doing and really going through it with her and battling out those nights.”

What she does when she has a baby question: “I call one of her grandmothers or I call one of her aunties…. I try not to Google too many things because it is frightening but I do go to babycenter.com and read the comment sections from other mothers because I find so much solace in that. Just knowing that I’m not alone out there and that other moms have gone through the same thing can at least get me through the night.”

Privacy & flying under the radar: “Whether we like it or not, privacy is going to be very difficult for Esmeralda. I think it’s unfair but that’s our reality. So Ryan and I decided early on to give her as much privacy as we could. And my pregnancy was the first opportunity to give her that. It’s such an intimate time for the mother, too. I know that it seems all very innocuous when you’re flipping through a tabloid at the doctor’s office or see a photo of a pregnant lady online, but I find the media’s “bump watch” obsession to be both intrusive and stressful. So I made a decision to eject myself from it completely. I was like, “Annnnd I’m out.”

Appreciating her mother: “Definitely. I cannot believe that by the time my mother was 24 she had three kids under the age of four. She was in Cuba and totally alone. So when it’s the wee hours of the night and I’m feeling a bit insane, I think about her and realize that I have no right to complain about anything.”

She & Ryan knew they were having a girl: “We actually did. We were really excited about naming her.”

The name Esmeralda Amada: “We both love the Esmeralda character from the Victor Hugo novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame and just think it’s a beautiful name. Her middle is Amada, which was my grandmother’s name. It means “beloved” in Spanish.”

Motherhood is tough: “People always told me that. But I’ve learned that it’s way harder to be a baby. Everything is a struggle for her. For instance, I haven’t thrown up since the ‘90s and she’s thrown up twice since we started this interview. Motherhood is cake compared to what it’s like to be a baby.”

[From Violet Grey]

Cele|bitchy | Eva Mendes talks nannies, privacy & naming her baby ‚€˜Esmeralda‚€™
    dougie likes this.

My name means beloved in French. Did anyone else eyeroll/get a hernia when they read "it's way harder to be a baby"?
    BuffyKatniss and BelledeJour like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I was nearly called Esmeralda. I don't see what's wrong with it.
    On avance, on avance, on avance...

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    My name means beloved in French. Did anyone else eyeroll/get a hernia when they read "it's way harder to be a baby"?
    (snort)... definite eyeroll, but... she gets a pass from me on two counts:

1) New baby delirium - sleep deprivation + the hormone induced delusion that perfect parenting is possible if you just try really, really hard - a delusion frequently competing with an equally implausible conviction that you have already ruined your child's entire future by letting him cry, with a soaking wet diaper, for 15 minutes while you searched everywhere for... whatever..... or... because you always pick her up as soon as she cries, so she'll never learn to tough things out.... yada, yada, yada. I think a certain amount of baby-focused stupidity gets a pass for the first few months.

2) Stupid is as stupid does, but at least she doesn't sound like an entitled twat - Mariah Carey suffered more than any mother in history giving birth to 'dem babies,' AND she has to change nannies every couple months so the kiddies don't get too attached. GOOP tries to explain how much harder she has it than 'normal' working mother's, because we can get our work done at the office and then just come right home and easily take care of the kids, while she has such an erratic schedule that it's exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    I was nearly called Esmeralda. I don't see what's wrong with it.
    LaFolie is much more jolie
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

^That's not my real name
    On avance, on avance, on avance...

I don't particularly care for either one of them, but the interview was decent compared to most new mommy interviews where the new mom has already declared herself an expert on all things baby.
    NickiDrea likes this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information