Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Emma Watson Is Taking a Year Off From Acting to Focus on Feminism

I'm not convinced Emma Watson is getting "personally developed" in any way, shape or form but we shall see.
    arie_skop likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by *Kat* View Post
    I'm a programmer, I stare at the screen 10 hours a day at work (sometimes even on weekends). I can't listen, learn or do anything else while I'm at work. I'm so exhausted after work and the 2 hour commute that doing anything productive after coming home feels like a chore. I want to learn new languages and read more books. I'm also passionate about Data Science and I'm trying to learn new programming languages and statistics because of it. I could do that and I know a disciplined person probably would. But my brain feels fried at the end of the workday. I'm not saying personal development is impossible with no money, but it would be hell of a lot easier with it.
    Of course it is easier!
    I work with EU Legislation and the public (a match made in hell), I work a second job, I am up at 5.30-6 am to walk the dog, feed livestock etc before traleving for an hour to get to work. And the end of the day, reverse it.I am rarely in bed before midnight so I completely understand what you are saying; however, I make time to do things, etc, I have recently started taking some knitting to work so I take 30 mins break to do that when I eat.
    I was fed up of feeling overwhelmed. Now I am planning on developing my (old) database skills.
    *Kat* and BelledeJour like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Of course it is easier!
    I work with EU Legislation and the public (a match made in hell), I work a second job, I am up at 5.30-6 am to walk the dog, feed livestock etc before traleving for an hour to get to work. And the end of the day, reverse it.I am rarely in bed before midnight so I completely understand what you are saying; however, I make time to do things, etc, I have recently started taking some knitting to work so I take 30 mins break to do that when I eat.
    I was fed up of feeling overwhelmed. Now I am planning on developing my (old) database skills.
    I've recently started mindfulness meditation to cope with the stress and anxiety. Takes 15 minutes a day and is helping me cope with my stressful job and life in general. You should check it out! I thought it was woo-woo at first, but it is backed by robust scientific studies. Now this bit might sound woo woo, but it's made me a very positive, non-judgmental person from the miserable cynic I was before. Maybe why i'm defending the lifestyle choices of celebrities now

Quote Originally Posted by *Kat* View Post
    Now this bit might sound woo woo, but it's made me a very positive, non-judgmental person from the miserable cynic I was before.
    Kindly hand over your GR badge please, ma'am.
    *Kat* and greysfang like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I like this kid. Good for her. She can and should do what she wants.
    czb and Laurent like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

good for her but i just hope she doesn't start toting a mattress around or start a tumblr.
    arie_skop and *Kat* like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It sucks that a young women felt that she had to tote a mattress to make a point about sexual assault.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    It sucks that a young women felt that she had to tote a mattress to make a point about sexual assault.
    And she carried that fucker right up to graduation day.
    sluce, mostlylurking and arie_skop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Meh. As a protest it might have been effective but as an art project which is how she intended it, it sucked balls. Also, in her case, didn't the school clear the guy twice? And didn't police decline to press charges for lack of evidence? It's not like in her specific case, the school ignored what happened to her. They just didn't find enough evidence to find him guilty.
    That said there is a problem with rapes in US colleges but they need to find better spokespeople than mattress girl and "Jackie", the girl with the fake rape story from the discredited Rolling Stone article.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

"Jackie" is a mentally ill young woman, not the face of sexual assault on campus.

In the mattress girl case, the accused was not cleared. They simply could not gather enough evidence to ensure he would be convicted - even though THREE different woman, and one man, all filed complaints against him. Colleges are notorious for saying there is not enough evidence, but they are not investigators. They should have no place in the investigation. The police should be involved immediately, not later when the victim decides to bypass the school. The system is broken and must change. Some revisions are happening now, but the schools still have too much involvement and have good reason to hide or downplay accusations.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^^^
    i agree with you the system is broken. and i agree with you police should be involved right away and colleges shouldn't be investigating rapes, but rape activists don't want that. they want victims to be able to bypass the police if they so wish and they want colleges to find the accused guilty based on no evidence at all. it's not just schools resisting police involvement, it's victims and women's organisations who say that victims having to tell their stories to law enforcement is akin to raping them all over again (they do love their hyperbole). also, the other people accusing mattress girl's alleged rapist all knew each other, and at least one of them was found to be unreliable by the school.
    i'm not saying she's making it up, but that sometimes there isn't enough evidence to convict, even using the schools' burden of proof which is much lower than that of law enforcement.

and yes, "jackie" is a mentally ill woman. and sabrina rubin erdely should have realised that when she interviewed her and she should have done her job as a reporter and fact-checked her story but instead she got greedy and rather than going with one of the many true-but-less-sensationalistic accounts from other victims, she went with "jackie"'s unreliable, ever-changing story of a gang rape that never happened.
    sluce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Kindly hand over your GR badge please, ma'am.
    Never!
    Belt Up likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information