Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Emma Watson on differences between U.S. and British guys & dislike of flip-flops

I walked past a Dr Martens sample store a few years ago and found a little pile of Docs that looked like Birkenstocks without the toe bit, just a wide band across with a little buckle and the original Docs sole. They were only 50 bucks and the most comfortable things I'd ever worn. I got a red pair and wore them non-stop until the next time I went past the store and bought the other 3 pairs in white, patent pink and patent black and the shop chick gave me all 3 for $100 because nobody else could fit into such ridiculously small shoes. For borderline orthopaedic shoes they're pretty cute. I always get people asking me about them and I just googled them and can't find even one picture. I'll never have to buy another pair, these will last for years. Of course they could be fakes and I got totally ripped off.

But I want to know what people who live in other hot climates do if they don't wear flip flops? I couldn't imagine walking around in shoes all the time.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^ Whenever it's hot here (I'm in the UK so it's a rarity) I wear gladiator sandals or thin flats.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    ITA - but (you knew that was coming) in the summer I still have to wear support tights/socks but if I wear them with sandals it's not too bad. The only problem is that my feet swell up so much that the only thing that constantly fits is a flipflap
    How can you even wear flipflops with hose? Don't they slip?

And back to men, we have 40+ temps here so of course open footwear is allowed for men. I don't love Birkenstocks but they are not too horrible and there are also these:

(WITHOUT socks!)

^That's what all the European backpackers wear around Sydney, you can tell the Aussies from the Europeans just by the footwear.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It's probably the only hair style I haven't had. My wife bought them for me, and the things cost like $80 to $100, so I got in the habit of wearing them.

Way back at an older company, we had this 350-pound IT guy who, every damn day, wore Bermuda shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt that was two sizes to small. Can you imagine the sound of a 350-pound guy walking around in flip flops?
    You worked with my brother in law?? LOL He also wears a knitted cap no matter the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post

And back to men, we have 40+ temps here so of course open footwear is allowed for men. I don't love Birkenstocks but they are not too horrible and there are also these:

(WITHOUT socks!)
    I'd rather see a man in flip flops anyday.
    sputnik, Laurent and stef like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Ditto. To me, those look like the little velcro or stretchy sandals that toddlers wear around here.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    what is dartford?

brown is one of the hardest of the ivies to get into, it just attracts a different kind of student than yale or dartmouth . . . .
    Dartmouth was an expensive progressive co-educational school in the UK where pupils chose what they wished to learn.
    (Rich) dirty dope smoking hippies sent their kids there...
    Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post

(WITHOUT socks!)
    Haha, yeah w/o socks!

Yeah they slip a bit but my feet & lower legs are so swollen it hurts to walk far anyway.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Do you like Clark's sandals, Novice? Ugly as fuck but ohhhh so comfortable. I have several pairs of a model with THREE adjustable velcro straps: ankle, arch AND instep/front, so when my feet or ankles swell in warm weather I just loosen the straps. I bought extra pairs on EBay closeout several years ago so I will always have them, because they are literally the best ever.

A clone of these, the Sarasota:

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

SO many men wear flip flops. It isn't just an American thing. Why isn't she comparing men in tropical climates to her fellow British men? Thailand, Jamacia, Hawaii, India, and so many folks around the world wear flip flops. I suppose she doesn't get out and see the world. It's gloomy and cold mostly in the UK, so stfu!
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    SO many men wear flip flops. It isn't just an American thing. Why isn't she comparing men in tropical climates to her fellow British men? Thailand, Jamacia, Hawaii, India, and so many folks around the world wear flip flops. I suppose she doesn't get out and see the world. It's gloomy and cold mostly in the UK, so stfu!
    She was on Ellen DeGeneres' show and Ellen asked her specifically about the differences between British men and men she's met since going to college in the U.S.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Dartmouth was an expensive progressive co-educational school in the UK where pupils chose what they wished to learn.
    (Rich) dirty dope smoking hippies sent their kids there...

Haha, yeah w/o socks!

Yeah they slip a bit but my feet & lower legs are so swollen it hurts to walk far anyway.
    Ouchie, so sorry I second Kathie's suggestion to try Clarks. Some pretty comfy shoes there. I've always gone for comfort over looks and they have served me well. Sucks that they are doubly expensive in Greece than in the UK, though. I've ended up just trying them on and then having a UK based friend buy them and send them over.

Love clarks!
    But, have also discovered Office shoes, bought some sandals that lace up the front without looking like something an 80-y-o might wear...
    A bit like these? But without the dodgy stars, have a taupe suede flat pair & a black leather wedge heel pair
    Office COMET NAT MULTI PU Shoes - Womens Sandals Shoes - Office Shoes

Also bought some beautiful leather flipflops from them with little coins on them the jingle when I walk I am SO five years old!!!

o pizza and chips here! Emma Watson snacks on strawberries and granola in between takes on set of new movie Noah

By Sarah Bull
    PUBLISHED: 08:57, 19 October 2012 | UPDATED: 09:39, 19 October 2012

Movie sets are notorious for offering their actors greasy food to keep them going on long days of filming.
    But as she got to work on highly-anticipated movie Noah, Emma Watson snubbed the calorific treats available on the set, instead choosing to snack on healthy food.
    The 22-year-old actress was seen in between takes in Brooklyn, New York, strolling around clutching a box of strawberries and a container of granola.

Staying healthy: Emma Watson shunned the greasy treats on offer on the set of new movie Noah, instead opting to snack on healthy food

Five a day: Emma was seen clutching strawberries and granola

However, Emma's decision to steer clear of higher-fat snacks is clearly paying off for the young star, who displayed her slender figure in a pair of tight trousers.

Emma teamed the green jeans with a loose-fitting grey T-shirt and woolly cardigan, finishing off her ensemble with a pair of trainers.
    Former Harry Potter star Emma was seen wearing her hair in a loose plait - a style she has been sporting for filming over the past few days.
    Emma is starring alongside Russell Crowe, who plays the lead role of Noah, and Jennifer Connelly, as well as her The Perks Of A Wallflower co-star Logan Lerman, in Darren Aronofsky's retelling of the biblical tale.
    Speaking recently about the movie, Emma said: 'I play the role of Ila, Noah’s adopted daughter who is in love with Shem, his eldest son. Logan plays Ham, who is Shem’s youngest brother. So Logan plays my brother.'

Time to head home: After a long day of filming, Emma was seen heading home clutching her bag

Grey day: Emma wore a grey T-shirt and matching jumper with green jeans on the set of the film

And Emma added that she jumped at the chance to work with Logan on the project - despite them having only recently finished promoting their most recent film together.
    She said: 'Logan and I have a very deep sense of trust with one another which, as actors, is amazing because I know that whatever I do, he’s going to be there to catch me and vice versa.

'We spent so much time together making the movie. Our chemistry was really good in Perks I think Darren saw that and wanted that for Noah.'
    Noah is set for release in 2014.

Lead role: Russell Crowe is playing the Noah in Darren Aronofsky's retelling of the biblical tale

Love interest: Douglas Booth stars as Noah's son Shem, who Emma's character Ila is in love wit

I love her pilled-up fuzzy sweater. Looks very comfy and cute.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information