Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: Ellen Page comes out as transgender, will be called Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    as liberal as i am, i don't think kids should be allowed to have surgery before they're 18. with hormone treatment it's different though, i think it can be cruel to deprive a kid who is sure of hormone treatments that could delay the onset of puberty. for many kids, that hormone therapy before puberty is too advanced is the only chance they have of ever 'passing' once they are able to go ahead and transition. and even in the cases where the kid decides not to transition, they can stop the hormones and it's not irreversible as if they'd had surgery.
    Believe it or not, I was talking with our daughter about this and I forgot which hormone treatment (male to female, or female to male) she thought was less reversible. She seems to be more plugged in because it is an ongoing discussion with her friends. Also, the potential for reversing things seems to depend on when you start. Our son, who is now 16, is a great example of why you would need to start early. He has a huge Adam's apple and ultra deep voice. Plus, a ridiculous shoulder to waist ratio for someone who doesn't work out. Almost the stereotype of a guy. But when he was 12, and with ultra-long hair, he looked like a brunette Jodie Foster, and would sometimes get flagged going into the men's room.

My BIL who does gender reassignment surgery supposedly surgically shaves down the Adam's apple as part of the male-to-female surgery. And even re-contours the forehead bones. The thought of it literally makes me shudder.

By the way, the person I mentioned WAY back who was the father of one of our son's friends. She appears to have completed the process. I don't know what the family situation is right now, but she is still living in the immediate area. We see her when we are walking on the trails when we are out there, and I doubt most people would know she was born male until she speaks.
    sputnik likes this.

Re: hormone treatment - Isn't there a type of treatment for kids that just delays puberty?
    That seems like a really good solution as it delays the time when the actual transition needs to start.

I think female to male is less reversible, but my guess is only based on the fact that women bodybuilders who take male hormones won't be able to reverse the effects (lowered voice, facial hair) even when they stop taking the hormones.

Yeah sorry when I say hormones I was referring to puberty blockers for teens.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by GRuser1 View Post
    Re: hormone treatment - Isn't there a type of treatment for kids that just delays puberty?
    That seems like a really good solution as it delays the time when the actual transition needs to start.

I think female to male is less reversible, but my guess is only based on the fact that women bodybuilders who take male hormones won't be able to reverse the effects (lowered voice, facial hair) even when they stop taking the hormones.
    I also think female to male is harder. I know of a couple female to males, and they look like they walked out of Bosom Buddies. Plus, giant hands are a head giveaway.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information