Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: Ellen Page comes out as transgender, will be called Elliot

I saw the article and I think he looks exactly the same. I'm sure its a huge change for him, but he looks exactly the same to me.

I also find it very telling that it felt very right to immediately start thinking of him as a boy when it usually takes me a minute to make that mental shift with other transgendered people.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I saw the article and I think he looks exactly the same. I'm sure its a huge change for him, but he looks exactly the same to me.

I also find it very telling that it felt very right to immediately start thinking of him as a boy when it usually takes me a minute to make that mental shift with other transgendered people.
    With Caitlyn Jenner, I never made the mental shift. I still see Bruce. Or Cindy Crawford.
    tulip, Sarzy, weathered1 and 4 others like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post

Page's breakthrough role in "Hard Candy":

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    With Caitlyn Jenner, I never made the mental shift. I still see Bruce. Or Cindy Crawford.
    i think that's probably the case for a lot of people who grew up knowing bruce jenner, the athlete. i never heard of him when i was living in canada, much less when i was in europe or south America, so by the time i started hearing about bruce it was in the context of the kardashians and by then it was so plainly obvious from the surgeries and paparazzi shots in a dress, that something was going on. so i never had that strong image of bruce the athlete so it wasn't that difficult to make the mental shift when she came out as transgender and changed her name to caitlin. but i totally understand how it would be super difficult if it were some other celebrity that was ubiquitous when i was growing up.
    also, anyone else find it really hard to figure out how to write about transgender people, especially when you're talking about their past names, what pronouns do you use? i never know if i should use 'he' if i'm talking about caitlin in the past when she was still identifying as bruce...

with elliot it's true it wasn't difficult but i think it's because looking back knowing what we now know, it's so obvious why he always seemed so awkward, even after ellen came out as gay and started dressing in more masculine clothes, you could just sense the discomfort.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Page's breakthrough role in "Hard Candy":

My favorite movie of his; followed closely by Juno. I do like him in Umbrella Academy as well. I wonder how they will handle that character now that he has transitioned.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think that's probably the case for a lot of people who grew up knowing bruce jenner, the athlete. i never heard of him when i was living in canada, much less when i was in europe or south America, so by the time i started hearing about bruce it was in the context of the kardashians and by then it was so plainly obvious from the surgeries and paparazzi shots in a dress, that something was going on. so i never had that strong image of bruce the athlete so it wasn't that difficult to make the mental shift when she came out as transgender and changed her name to caitlin. but i totally understand how it would be super difficult if it were some other celebrity that was ubiquitous when i was growing up.
    also, anyone else find it really hard to figure out how to write about transgender people, especially when you're talking about their past names, what pronouns do you use? i never know if i should use 'he' if i'm talking about caitlin in the past when she was still identifying as bruce...

with elliot it's true it wasn't difficult but i think it's because looking back knowing what we now know, it's so obvious why he always seemed so awkward, even after ellen came out as gay and started dressing in more masculine clothes, you could just sense the discomfort.
    That is likely the case for many people. I don't remember him before all the kartrashian krap either, because I didn't come to the US until 1980, way past his olympic glory.

I do, and I have no idea. I am still struggling to remember what cis/binary/pan means.
    sputnik likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

czb

see, i remember bruce as a kid. he was a big character and everywhere. knew him as a hardworking athlete so i did not get why he hooked up with kris and did that crummy show.
    sputnik, ConstanceSpry and tulip like this.

Absolutely. Jenner was very well known, and he kept marrying women and having kids, yet seemed to be addicted to plastic surgery which did nothing but destroy his masculine features, so people were like, what's up with that, it's not improving his looks. I don't think anyone really considered that he was transitioning, and he wasn't exactly honest about it, instead married Kris K and had more kids. It wasn't until the K show that rumors really started to swirl, and honestly I don't know if I really believed it at first. Just didn't follow it all very closely. So, yeah, seeing her now as Caitlyn is a bit weird. Ellen/Elliot Page, I've only seen him as Ellen in Juno, so it's not as weird. She was a cute girl and he is a cute guy so that's ok. I don't have a history with it.

The Bruce I remember:
    czb likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

From what I gathered (I watch a lot of trans people's youtube channels ^^) we shouldn't dead name them (like, the title of this thread XD Elliott's previous name should not appear, it should be "Elliott Page comes out as transman" and that's it) and refer to them by their chosen identity even when we talk about their pre-transition selves. So Elliott page starred in Juno, even though he was still female at the time, we shouldn't use the name and pronouns he had then. (I don't know if I'm clear. If you're interested, I think Jessie Gender's channel is very enlightening. Also love A council of Geeks who addresses those gender issues amongst geeky content )

Then I don't know if they'd be particularly triggered or offended if one refers to their previous identity using the wrong pronouns / name if it genuinely is an honest mistake / ignorance mistake and not a dick move to refuse to acknowledge who they really are.
    I'm thinking about Eddie Izzard whom some people still insist on addressing by "he/him" even though she explicitly stated her pronouns were she / her
    (I wonder if to a certain extent "they" is not a safe option when in doubt, or if that could be as bad as using the wrong pronoun, couldn't find that answer)
    Lalasnake and Novice like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

^ I don't think Eddie minds what people use.
    For example:
    When Moyles mentioned he was pulled up by a few listeners because he called Eddie 'he' on-air, the stand-up said: "Everyone online thank you for backing me up with the 'she', but just relax on that.

"We've got to relax on that. With some people [it's a] complete transition and that's it, but with me I am somewhere on the spectrum. I am gender fluid, so I absolve all people right now. Anyone who uses he or she it's cool. Just everyone chill."
    https://www.radiox.co.uk/news/tv-fil...ronouns-wrong/
    Lalasnake likes this.

Elite Member

I think the weirdest thing about Caitlyn is that it wasn't that she is transgender, she didn't just change genders, she turned into a Kardashian. I know this will sound horrible, but I still see Bruce in women's clothing. I respect her decision to live her truth and be who she is, but it still takes me a second to process.

What some of you said about Elliot -- there is a comfortable in his skin vibe that is unmistakeable.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this, but our daughter has a friend, who was a bio female but identified as male when our daughter first met her as a freshman in high school. Very good friends. This friend has been at our house multiple times and I have not interacted with them that much, mainly because I try to stay out of the way. Anyway, the friend was in conflict with their parents about the trans issue and I guess the parents were basically in denial. Finally, they relented and the friend was facing the fact that not only had the parents approved hormone treatments, but that this was the stage where the person should start doing it. Then, the friend decided that they identified as female and went back to their birth name. As a parent, this type development freaks me right the hell out because getting hormones and surgery is often an irreversible thing and you often can't go back to the way things before if your child decides that they no longer identify as trans.

czb

^^^ agree about it being scary.

two friends of ours had a very contentious divorce. the younger child was ~10 at the time and started having issues. it began as normal pre-adolescent acting out and agression, but then worsened, by middle school she was a cutter. somehow the girl decided she was trans and started binding and dressing as male. she/he started hormone treatments in HS. he lived with the mom at that point, the dad was in large denial and would not consent to the hormone treatments. they could bypass the dad's consent when the boy (let's call him david) was 16. not sure if it's a CA thing or whatever but both parents' consent was not required.

i hadn't seen the mom in a few years, she kinda dropped off the face (from when david was 13-16) until i randomly ran into her and then she started telling me all this, also stating that david wanted to get top surgery asap. my reaction was Why would you get top surgery until you are definitely sure? it isn't reversible. she looked at me like i had 6 heads and was an SP. But it's not healthy, she said. i was thinking none of this is healthy. anyhoo, david had top surgery at 18, graduated from HS. then mom and both kids high-tailed it out of the bay area and relocated to the pacific NW.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

as liberal as i am, i don't think kids should be allowed to have surgery before they're 18. with hormone treatment it's different though, i think it can be cruel to deprive a kid who is sure of hormone treatments that could delay the onset of puberty. for many kids, that hormone therapy before puberty is too advanced is the only chance they have of ever 'passing' once they are able to go ahead and transition. and even in the cases where the kid decides not to transition, they can stop the hormones and it's not irreversible like it would be if they'd had surgery.
    MohandasKGanja, czb, fgg and 1 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

^^^ i don't think they should, either. i get that this mom was desperate but i still think it is a major surgery and yes, irreversible.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information