Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Eddie Van Halen Dead at 65

Very, very, very sad. I loved Eddie's playing. He always seemed like a happy, sweet guy. I remember when he and Valerie got married, they were both so famous in their own right and such a cute couple. She was like 21 which was beyond my comprehension. I saw his Frankenstein guitar at a museum exhibit last summer. We were staring at it front and back. He really played the shit out of it, there were these huge holes under the strings. His number one fave guitar player was Clapton

Edward (as Valerie called him), this is for you..."I got my pencil"! 80's music was a whole bunch of different sounds, but his sound stood out. My fave was Hot For Teacher. Really catchy.

EVH was a legend. I had such a crush on Eddie when I was in high school. R.I.P. Eddie
    holly likes this.

We were at the bank yesterday changing some things up, & I was with the banker while my husband was in the lobby area, & he shouts to me "EDDIE VAN HALEN DIED!" & I excused myself for a moment to pop my head out of the office to make sure I heard him correctly. Then I got all choked up, which is a rarity for me when it comes to celebrity deaths. I still can't believe it. I knew he'd had part of his tongue removed years ago b/c of cancer, but I didn't know he'd been battling it again recently. In all the old pics & even a lot of the videos (stuck in his guitar), he has his ever-present cigarette, the damn things killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Omg, what a shocker! My co-worker and I just scared the shit out of the office because when I told her that he died she yelled WHAT? WHAT? Another co-worker thought that it was someone that we knew IRL. RIP.

It's pretty cool seeing this. It reminded me of a Behind the Music-type show I'd seen on Van Halen & I remember it being mentioned that he & Alex would frequently speak Dutch to each other, which would piss of the rest of the band because it was obvious they didn't want anyone to know what they were talking about (this was in a professional setting, so I could see where the other band members would be put out by it).
    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Old interview in their mother tongue: Dutch

I saw Van Halen in concert in 1992. Great show. I was very sad about EVH.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Going back to Wolfgang's Tweet, as a dad, that is really just an incredible, bittersweet thing to read. To have the kind of relationship with your son that he would say that - it speaks volumes. I actually went out and looked at interviews both of them appeared in. Those two guys seemed to adore each other. Wolfgang has a lot of Valerie's facial appearance and sweet-natured exuberance. During interviews, he would interrupt Eddie to say something, and Eddie never looked bothered - just the opposite. It was also very, VERY clear that he was happy that his son had followed in his footsteps. After reading about Ryan O'Neal all week, it was such a refreshing departure, LOL.

Hey, I also wanted to say that it was very cool that Eddie and Valerie's post-divorce relationship was so good that they even attended each other's weddings.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; October 7th, 2020 at 10:37 AM.
    rollo, czb, HeartShapedBox and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by firebrat1229 View Post
    I rarely get super upset over celeb deaths but this one made me literally gasp.
    Me, too. This one hurt big time. My heart goes out to Wolfie, Janie, and Alex. I saw him as guitar legend EVH of my fave band, but Wolfie lost a father, Janie lost a husband, and Alex lost his little brother. Very sad.

I saw Van Halen in 2015 when they toured with Roth. Great band, great show but Eddie stole the show. So much talent. The place went nuts when he walked out and when it was finally time for his solo, you could tell that's what we were all waiting for. The crowd roar was unbelievable. He did not disappoint. He was and always will be a guitar god.
    Brookie and holly like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I'm an old headbanger - I've seen them live 7 times, including during the Van Hagar years. He was just...otherworldly on the guitar. That's the only word I can use to describe it.

And yeah, sometimes I miss smoking, then someone like Eddie Van Halen dies and I think twice and shape up.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    We were at the bank yesterday changing some things up, & I was with the banker while my husband was in the lobby area, & he shouts to me "EDDIE VAN HALEN DIED!" & I excused myself for a moment to pop my head out of the office to make sure I heard him correctly. Then I got all choked up, which is a rarity for me when it comes to celebrity deaths. I still can't believe it. I knew he'd had part of his tongue removed years ago b/c of cancer, but I didn't know he'd been battling it again recently. In all the old pics & even a lot of the videos (stuck in his guitar), he has his ever-present cigarette, the damn things killed him.

It's pretty cool seeing this. It reminded me of a Behind the Music-type show I'd seen on Van Halen & I remember it being mentioned that he & Alex would frequently speak Dutch to each other, which would piss of the rest of the band because it was obvious they didn't want anyone to know what they were talking about (this was in a professional setting, so I could see where the other band members would be put out by it).
    My sister and I have been doing this to our kids for years. We also do it out and about to say things privately. Dutch is great for that because it's not as prevalent as Spanish, French, German, etc. One time, though, I overheard a couple of Dutch women talking about my outfit or hat or something. It was a nice comment, so I smiled and said, 'Thank you,' and they looked shocked/busted for a second and then we all started to laugh.
    MohandasKGanja and palta like this.

Source: Yahoo News

Yep, very recognizable from stories of relatives who grew up in The Netherlands.

Eddie Van Halen endured a 'horrifying racist environment' before becoming a rock legend

Music fans around the world are mourning the loss of iconic Van Halen rock star Eddie Van Halen. And while many today honor his legacy as one of the all-time greatest guitarists, fans are also highlighting past interviews describing his encounters with painful racism and discrimination because of his mixed race in his early years.
    Van Halen, who died Tuesday of throat cancer at 65, was the son of Dutch and Indonesian immigrants and spent his childhood in the Netherlands. His former bandmate David Lee Roth, a fellow rock superstar, once revealed on the podcast "WTF with Marc Maron" just how painful the experience was for the young Van Halen and his brother, drummer Alex Van Halen.
    In the 2019 interview, Roth described how poorly the Van Halens' parents were treated because of their mixed-race relationship in the 1950s.

"It was a big deal. Those homeboys grew up in a horrifying racist environment to where they actually had to leave the country," Roth said in the podcast.

He added that the brothers, who were often referred to as "half-breed" in the Netherlands, still met difficult circumstances after immigrating to the U.S.
    "Then they came to America and did not speak English as a first language in the early '60s. Wow," Roth told Maron. "So that kind of sparking, that kind of stuff, that runs deep."
    The brothers' mother, Eugenia, met their father, Jan, a traveling musician, in Indonesia when it was under Dutch rule. Shortly after World War II, the couple decided to move to the Netherlands, where the rock stars were born.

Eugenia was treated as a "second-class citizen," Van Halen said in an interview in 2017 with music journalist Denise Quan for Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. The family packed up and left for the U.S. in 1962, making the trek by boat for nine days, before settling in the Pasadena, California, area.
    Their early days in the U.S. were difficult, Van Halen told Quan. The family lived in a house shared with two other families. While his mother worked as a maid, his father picked up a job as a janitor and also maintained a music career. The environment at the time wasn't particularly inviting to the young immigrants, and Van Halen described his first day of school as "absolutely frightening."
    "We already went through that in Holland, you know, first day, first grade. Now, you're in a whole other country where you can't speak the language, and you know absolutely nothing about anything and it was beyond frightening," he said. "I don't even know how to explain but I think it made us stronger because you had to be."
    He told Quan that the school he attended at the time was still segregated and that because he couldn't speak the language, he was considered a "minority" student.
    "My first friends in America were Black," Eddie told the journalist. "It was actually the white people that were the bullies. They would tear up my homework and papers, make me eat playground sand, all those things, and the Black kids stuck up for me."
    In spite of the racism and discrimination he faced, Van Halen told Quan that looking back on his life, he was grateful for his experience as an immigrant.
    "Coming here with approximately $50 and a piano, not being able to speak the language, going through everything to get to where we are, if that's not the American dream, I don't know what is," he said in the interview.
    Indonesian social media users have paid tribute to Van Halen, who's seen as a source of pride for many in the community.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Valerie tweeted this today, very sweet. (sorry don't know how to embed)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1315718164106235904
    MsDark and weathered1 like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^ Well that me tear up a bit. It's sweet that they never stopped caring for each other after all the years. They remained friends and even went to each others wedding.

For anyone interested Channel 27 on XM radio has a tribute EVH station. I don't know how long they will keep it, but I'm enjoying it .

Yeah, it's got to be weird though, they were both remarried and Eddie did have a wife yet Valerie is getting all the attention and condolences. Not that there's anything wrong with that, they were together a long time and shared a son but I hope his wife (and Valerie's husband) are ok with it. I'm sure Eddie's death has brought up a lot of old memories for her. I remember when an old boyfriend of mine died, I hadn't seen him in years but I took out all my old photos and thought about him a lot for awhile but it wasn't something I could share with the Mr.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

fgg

^i was wondering the same thing about how eddie's current wife felt about all of this.
    Trixie and mopar like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Truthfully, Eddie got better looking with age.
    firebrat1229 and Brookie like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information