Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson gave one of the most offensive interviews ever to GQ

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    but honestly thought it was a reenactment of episodes of the '80's Dynasty show but with ducks.
    hahaha i would totally watch that!
    Novice likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ the lead character would be "Drake" Carrington? Sorry, I'm waiting for Duck Dallas!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Didn't NBC do something like that with Michael Moriarty on Law & Order (ADA Ben Stone). He said he was canned for being "too conservative".
    So the hired Fred Thompson?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Never watch this show or Dog The Bounty Hunter, but hey, one less homophobic bigot to worry about. Blacks were happy before Jim Crow. Ummmhmmm. Can't imagine why my grandparents left the South like they did.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

TMZ just posted a video stating A&E knew about his stance. Sorry, I do not know how to embed.

Phil Robertson Publicly Bashed Gays for Years -- A&E Knew All About It | TMZ.com

I do not understand that way of thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Yeahhhhh I'm so sick of this "you're attacking me! No YOU'RE attacking ME!" crap.

I'm not seeing how this is similar to Paula Deen in any real way. If what was reported was true (I didn't keep up with the story b/c I have no interest in that woman) then she absolutely enjoyed treating blacks like second class citizens. Phil seems to have extremely simplistic, idealized memories of black people when he was growing up and while I feel pretty confident that he is remembering things like he wants to & that he's ignoring all the pain they endured, he doesn't seem to be saying they should lose their rights and be treated badly. I'm sure it's due to where I am from, but I am really slow to slap a "racist" label on someone unless it's clear that they think they're superior than another race or hate them or want to curtail their rights. Lots of people I know have beliefs I find ignorant, wrong, sheep-like, etc. yet they are still kind and respectful to everyone else.

Coexisting and being kind to others does not require agreeing with them on all points. Is it not enough that a person behaves themselves? They have to think a certain way, too? In the name of tolerance?

Lobes, you have now been quote on Facebook. (I posted the last bit and gave you credit). Congratulations, you might become famous among 237 people!

My facebook newsfeed is full of people who have joined the page, 'Boycott A&E Until Phil Robertson Is Put Back On Duck Dynasty'

Seriously... why join such a stupid page? I'm now questioning some of the people I allow as a friend.

^^ Word. I end up doing the same thing with regard to my FB friends list when some stupid shit like this happens. It's particularly distressing when someone I thought was otherwise fairly intelligent gets all up-in-arms about some crazy bullshit.

Off to check my FB feed now, lawd help me.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I was listening to my usual radio talk show today on the way to the bank, and they pretty much surmised that he possibly broke his contract when he spoke to another media outlet, without prior A&E approval. Whatever. NONE of this family cares at all. They have more money than God and this won't hurt them in the least. Here is their family statement. The Robertson Family Offical Statement | Duck Commander

We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.

Anyone who thought the rest of them would continue on the show after Phil has been booted, has never watched a single episode. He is the patriarch. They won't sneeze without his approval.

Elite Member

Oh shit, no more Robertsons?? I'm not sure they can break their contract with A&E anyway, it's probably iron clad and if they do that lawsuit is going to be UGLY. That family is bigger than the Lardassians these days no way in hell A&E will let them go quietly.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

OMG. I've watched two episodes of this show and that was because my sister MADE me while I was down at her house. I can't believe this is such a huge deal. A&E KNEW who they were when they signed up. This is such bullshit. Fire/suspend someone because of their beliefs that you knew about the whole time? WHAT?

However--if he broke contractual obligations, I can see A&E's side. "Don't talk to other media outlets" might be part of the contract and Phil probably had no clue. Not that'd he'd care. But still, I can see why they'd suspend him if this was the reason.

I find it hard to believe that Phil scheduled an interview with GQ without A&E knowing about it. They have been on a press tour non-stop and A&E's PR team arranged it all.
    Froogy, Sylkyn and Mel1973 like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Bronze Member

Everyone is all "it's just his opinion he has the right to say it!!111" but an employer has the right to fire you for your opinions if you're spouting them under their banner. For instance, if you work at Target and walk in to work and say "I HATE FAGS THEY'LL GO TO HELL" to groups of customers, they can't really arrest you for it but you can bet your ass they'll fire you for it. And that's my problem with this thing. It just smacks of ignorance that he thinks he could say something like that in a national magazine and NOT face punishment. Like if you tell your friends you're gonna go scream anti-gay slurs at work, all of them will tell you that you'll be fired, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. So which is it? Is he stupid or does he just not care? I mean, Paula Deen did what she did behind closed doors, she wasn't doing interviews saying that black people were fucking happy in the cottonfields. I still disagree with what she said but at least she had the common sense to not say it in public.

I don't watch the show but I'm sure Fox will offer them a spot on one of their networks.
    Annie B, nana51, ManxMouse and 2 others like this.

Elite Member

One of Fox's biggest hits is Family Guy. They are an equal-opportunity cash-grab corporation.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information