Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree404Likes

Thread: Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson gave one of the most offensive interviews ever to GQ

I think this shit is contrived as the day is long. Sure he believes it but he has wanted off the show for a while and this was probably a good way to get him off there without it looking like he just quit. I'll also say that A&E knows what the family is about and they love making money off it when they can edit the stupid shit they say. I notice they aren't just canceling the show like they did racist Paula. If they wanna be all up in arms then cancel it and pull the merchandise because guess what, the rest of the family believes just like he does.
    PecanPie and llamamama like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I agree with Mel. While I don't agree with ANYTHING he said, he has the right to say it. It's not hate speech - he's not advocating violence against gays - and at least he's up-front about it. A&E shouldn't have suspended him for it, that's just stupid & reactionary.
    laynes, lisalucy69, Sylkyn and 1 others like this.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

When ratings drop, he'll be back. Let's not forget that as well intentioned as A&E might be, it's all about the money to them.

I don't agree with Phil, but I'm not shocked these are his beliefs and like everyone else said..it's his right to think and say it.

The comments on the Yahoo story are more offensive than what Phil said. As I said in my previous post over reactions, in the guise of being polictically correct, cause more trouble. Now thousands of people are posting about how Christianity is under attack.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

yeah, in the grand scheme of things, more bad shit will be said about Phil than Phil ever thought about homosexuals or blacks... somehow, if someone makes a comment that offends people, it magically becomes ok to call him an inbred, knuckle-dragging, big boned swamp cunt. So, it's ok to assume/imply that Phil is stupid and fucked his mother because he stated a belief of his?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^No, people assume that because he's from the south *ducks and runs*
    sluce and *DIVA! like this.

bitch!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

^Really? That's all? I expected so much more of you Mel!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I think Mel is winding down for Christmas.
    sluce likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I think Mel is winding down for Christmas.
    hoho
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

The comments on the Yahoo story are more offensive than what Phil said. As I said in my previous post over reactions, in the guise of being polictically correct, cause more trouble. Now thousands of people are posting about how Christianity is under attack.
    Yeahhhhh I'm so sick of this "you're attacking me! No YOU'RE attacking ME!" crap.

I'm not seeing how this is similar to Paula Deen in any real way. If what was reported was true (I didn't keep up with the story b/c I have no interest in that woman) then she absolutely enjoyed treating blacks like second class citizens. Phil seems to have extremely simplistic, idealized memories of black people when he was growing up and while I feel pretty confident that he is remembering things like he wants to & that he's ignoring all the pain they endured, he doesn't seem to be saying they should lose their rights and be treated badly. I'm sure it's due to where I am from, but I am really slow to slap a "racist" label on someone unless it's clear that they think they're superior than another race or hate them or want to curtail their rights. Lots of people I know have beliefs I find ignorant, wrong, sheep-like, etc. yet they are still kind and respectful to everyone else.

Coexisting and being kind to others does not require agreeing with them on all points. Is it not enough that a person behaves themselves? They have to think a certain way, too? In the name of tolerance?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

How in the world did the producers let this GQ interviewer out to his farm to interview him without any supervision at all? That had to know something like this was bound to happen. I read the interview and the interviewer had it in for him, it seems. And I agree, the kids all feel exactly the same way, but now they know to keep their traps shut. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" now applies to bigots in the entertainment industry. You can have these opinions (anti-gay, anti-semitic, anti-black) but don't ever voice them! It's like having a cute feel good show about a KKK family or Neo-Nazi family but just leave out any reference to blacks or Jews and just show them being their fun loving selves, that'll sell. And A&E can take the moral highground, oh we love LGBTs and support them. But we will promote people we know are homophobes as long as they don't talk about it openly. Note to selves, don't let them do interviews ever again, or make sure they are scripted!

Quote Originally Posted by llamamama View Post
    How in the world did the producers let this GQ interviewer out to his farm to interview him without any supervision at all? That had to know something like this was bound to happen. I read the interview and the interviewer had it in for him, it seems. And I agree, the kids all feel exactly the same way, but now they know to keep their traps shut. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" now applies to bigots in the entertainment industry. You can have these opinions (anti-gay, anti-semitic, anti-black) but don't ever voice them! It's like having a cute feel good show about a KKK family or Neo-Nazi family but just leave out any reference to blacks or Jews and just show them being their fun loving selves, that'll sell. And A&E can take the moral highground, oh we love LGBTs and support them. But we will promote people we know are homophobes as long as they don't talk about it openly. Note to selves, don't let them do interviews ever again, or make sure they are scripted!
    I don't think it's THAT either. I don't think they are "anti-anything". I think he just basically said "I like pussy. I don't understand homosexuality."
    *DIVA! likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Quote Originally Posted by llamamama View Post
    And I agree, the kids all feel exactly the same way, but now they know to keep their traps shut.
    I don't think they will. I've seen comments from Phil before where he's said that he and his family say a lot about their personal opinions and beliefs on the show and A&E chooses to edit it out. I think their position is that they're going to say what they like and if others like it or don't like it, they don't much care. I think the family does the show purely as a platform to get their faith out to a larger audience. They do a lot of speaking engagements due to their popularity on the show now. I think if A&E cancelled them it wouldn't bother them much, and another more conservative network would probably snap them up. The Robertsons aren't dependent on the show for their livelihood. They had a TON of money due to the company Phil created in the early 70s, Duck Commander.

None of this is reflective of my thoughts on what Phil said, just throwing out there that I don't think he or his family are white knuckling it over this.
    Sylkyn likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Although, I just saw the family interviewed and they showed faces of Jase and one of the wives who cringed when Sy made a religious remark. I don't think the older guys care if the show ends now or not. I think the younger generation, especially the wives, are enjoying the fame and would want to continue.

I have mixed feeling as to whether or not Phil is racist. His comments came off to me as if he is saying the blacks were better off before we allowed welfare and entitlement programs. He is missing the point that there are more whites on assistance than blacks. I support entitlement programs but do believe the set up allows for grand scale abuse that hurts people. That's a whole different topic though.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information