Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The Duchess of Alba Dead: The World's Most Titled Aristocrat Dies At Age 88

I loved this old broad. RIP.
    greysfang, Mrs P and MmeVertigina like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'm kind of heartbroken about this. I loved her too. She was eccentric, irreverent and unapologetic about how she lived her life. She defrocked a priest, fucked around and stood up to her children and the king of Spain to marry her boytoy. Brava!

Today's younger royals are so fucking proper and boring in comparison.
    Last edited by sputnik; November 20th, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

She used to have a small mouth and now her lips go all the way across her face! No eyebrows, too much botox and bad plastic surgery. But she could still dance in a lively fashion at 85? Pretty impressive!

I like that she danced down the aisle at her wedding. In this video you can see that she still had some moves:

I'm sad that she died; she was a fun lady. RIP
    needmeds and Belt Up like this.

That's a fully lived life.

I was just talking about her the other day. My dad and I were talking about the concept of royalty and I was all "you have to read about this crazy broad who can walk all the way across Spain without leaving her own property." She was an interesting character.

Oh no, whom are Spanish parents going to scare their misbehaving kids with now?
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Silver Member

RIP. Love that she lived her life they way she wanted and with great joie de vivre.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I'm kind of heartbroken about this. I loved her too. She was eccentric, irreverent and unapologetic about how she lived her life. She defrocked a priest, fucked around and stood up to her children and the king of Spain to marry her boytoy. Brava!

Today's younger royals are so fucking proper and boring in comparison.
    I remember when you encouraged us to watch a video of her giving a speech, so we could hear her voice. It was so thin & wavering & lord, I can't describe it but it was certainly annoying.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

her voice was crazy, she sounded mentally challenged when she spoke lol
    i always assumed she was an idiot and then i read up a bit more on her life and realised there was more to her than the voice
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What more was there apart from immense wealth and an addiction to ps?

An unrivalled thirst for life, by all accounts. R.I.P.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

What accounts? This one?

How Spain rebranded the Duchess of Alba to suit its aspirations

The aristocrat, once reviled as a symbol of Spain's outdated past, has been positively recast in an age of celebrity obsession

The Duchess of Alba with her new husband Alfonso Díez outside Dueñas Palace in Seville. Photograph: Javier Diaz/Reuters

It's been the wedding of the century in Spain. Yes, one of those ever more frequent weddings of the century (you now get almost one per year). The fact that the bride is one of Spain's richest women and the quintessential aristocrat (according to the Guinness Book of Records, she is the person with the most titles in the world), would have sufficed to attract attention.
    But then this was also her third wedding, and she was marrying at 85, and the groom was 24 years her junior, and he happens to be a clerk who until last week lived on a €1,500 a month salary … how could the media resist it? Especially considering that the wedding was preceded by three years of acrimonious upper-class soap opera: her daughter and sons objected to the marriage; the king and even some journalists objected. But at the end of the day, she got her way. She ignored royal advice and silenced her offspring by handing them their inheritance in advance, a system which didn't work very well for poor old King Lear.
    And there she was the other day, dressed in traditional maja fashion, like one of her ancestors, who Goya once painted, and dancing a sevillanaoutside the church with her shoes off, an involuntary nod to Ava Gardner's role in The Barefoot Contessa (1954). Only that Cayetana de Alba is no simple countess, but 20 times countess, 18 times marquise, five times duchess and God knows what else.
    What I find extraordinary about the whole affair is that, for so many people, she has become the ideal of a free spirit, of an unconventional anti-establishment woman; she, of all people. And this is yet more baffling when you consider the transformation undergone by the House of Alba in the Spanish people's perception, an incredible exercise in rebranding, which this wedding has taken to its final completion.
    Not long ago, in the new Spain that arose after General Franco's death, this very same duchess of Alba represented everything that was outdated: the hated landed gentry of Andalusia, old money, the stiff, posh aristocracy. When some of her peasants in Extremadura occupied the lands they had been cultivating for generations, she hounded them with a pack of lawyers and exacted an astronomical compensation.
    Spain's Duchess of Alba. Photo: Cristina Quicler/AFP/Getty ImagesThen it became known that she, as Spain's biggest landowner, was getting huge amounts of money fromEU funds intended to support farmers (some estimates put the figure at €1.8m yearly). Already in 2006, when she was awarded yet another title, that of Most Illustrious Daughter of Andalusia, there was rioting in the streets of Seville. "What do I care about these crazy people?" she famously said. And she was quite right, because by then things had started to change in her favour.
    It had a lot to do with the irresistible ascent of the celebrity industry in Spain during the 1990s, a bubble of inanity that quite naturally accompanied the more material housing price bubble in those years. Since, contrary to what happens in Britain, the Spanish royal family was out of bounds for the press, the House of Alba more or less fulfilled the popular demand for aristocratic gossip.
    They did not disappoint: plenty of marriages and divorces, a son who is a riding champion and a womaniser, the daughter who married (and divorced) a bullfighter … and, amid all this, the duchess herself, first harassed and ridiculed by the paparazzi, then praised as a caring suffering mother, and finally enshrined as the perfect celebrity. And loved, to the extent that the blind admiration of the masses for someone they barely know can be described as love.
    The interesting thing is that she didn't change at all, not one iota. It was Spain that changed. Nobody cares anymore about landless peasants, who are now foreign immigrants anyway, and what had been so much resented until then – her distant pride and her whimsical ways – is now celebrated as a sign of independence of character. She didn't have to do anything, the press did it all. Her earlier elitist holidaymaking in Ibiza was recast as a "hippy past" and her patronising appearances at bullrings were seen as closeness to "the people". The climax came when a TV biopic, as realistic as Tolkien, almost made her look as if she had been some sort of feminist and anti-Francoist.
    After all, by then the housing bubble had turned Spain in a country of proud homeowners. What could be more natural than to reconcile themselves with the landowners? Not to mention how many people can relate today to a man who earns a little over €1,500 a month.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/oct/07/duchess-of-alba-spain

Lalasnake and ConstanceSpry like this.

Thanks for dumping the ice-water bucket of reality on this thread, Rollo. However much fun she was as a celebrity, I'm glad to be reminded that it's really easy to screw over a bunch of people while acting as a free spirit when you're the richest person in Spain.
    rollo likes this.

Lol, and that makes her different from other royals how?

All royal's money and land holdings are tainted by the suffering of the poor. And I think most would take legal action if people starting claiming their land. Let's send some homeless squatters up to balmoral to stake claims to the land and let's see how Liz and Phil react. I'm sure they'd just let them have it. Lord Salisbury was recently involved in a similar imbroglio.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; November 22nd, 2014 at 07:13 AM.
    sputnik and Lalasnake like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ah... royalty.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information