Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Do they know it’s time to stop band aid?

Then why not re-work an old African song with English lyrics? Why re-hash this garbage and not stop and think "hey, that sounds kind of paternalistic, no?" Why not at least change the lyrics and make it half African musicians, half western? And they've had plenty of time, the Ebola epidemic started this spring but they waited until the holiday season (ka-ching) to unleash this musical monstrosity onto the world. There was time for a better song. Trust.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think a guy called Fela wrote a few songs and some good beats, they could have used some of those

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^
    but no one's ever heard of him.
    witchcurlgirl and faithanne like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

So what about the mooted $10m? Is that acceptable?

^^^^
    like i said, good intentions and i'm glad they raised money but that doesn't change the fact that it is still condescending, tone-deaf and quite frankly paternalistic and pretty insulting. don't you think it's time that people stopped referring to africa like it's a single country, one big place full of poor black people, wars, safari animals and awful diseases? this type of charity effort - well-intentioned as it might be - only reinforces that ignorance and stereotyping.
    ana-mish-ana, lindsaywhit and Brah like this.

sputnik likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by dksnj View Post
    I always thought this line was fucked up:

“Tonight thank God it’s them instead of you,”
    You're right , I always thought that too.

A*O

Let's see if the $10m raised actually pays for some constructive help where it's needed instead of ending up in a Govt officials bloated Swiss bank account or a fleet of new Mercedes limos for various aid organisation administrators.

I am also offended that a bunch of millionaire "celebs" is putting out the begging bowl for the rest of us to fill.
    LaFolie, HWBL, Mivvi21 and 4 others like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

I am also offended that a bunch of millionaire "celebs" is putting out the begging bowl for the rest of us to fill.
    This is my main beef with fundraising. Why don't the rich participants/organisers just donate the money instead of producing something nobody really wants and guilting them into buying it? It's the same as when rich turds create charities eg the Murdoch Foundation - firstly, why would I donate anything that's going to bring goodwill to those arseholes? And secondly, the Murdochs can buy and sell all of us, so do your own charitable acts and stop asking people to do them in your name.
    LaFolie, HWBL, Mivvi21 and 2 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^And bob has the nerve to try to shame Adele for not being on his crapfest. She actually made a large donation to oxfam, which is probably more than most of the people on the single did.

Quote Originally Posted by dksnj View Post
    I always thought this line was fucked up:

“Tonight thank God it’s them instead of you,”
    And this gem:

Where nothing ever grows, No rain nor rivers flow

Uh, the Nile? The Congo? The Zambezi? They know as little about Africa as they do about African issues

I remember doing a thing on the charity business with my students and using this song to make a point about neo-colonialism. I was disappointed to see none of them thought "Do they know it's Christmas?" was ridiculously paternalistic, and most of my students were not even Christians...
    On avance, on avance, on avance...

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    This is my main beef with fundraising. Why don't the rich participants/organisers just donate the money instead of producing something nobody really wants and guilting them into buying it? It's the same as when rich turds create charities eg the Murdoch Foundation - firstly, why would I donate anything that's going to bring goodwill to those arseholes? And secondly, the Murdochs can buy and sell all of us, so do your own charitable acts and stop asking people to do them in your name.
    This. It always reminds me of the first Hollywood benefit with major stars like Elizabeth Taylor, inspired by Rock Hudson's "confession" of having AIDS. Burt Lancaster read a letter by Rock, who by then was too ill to attend. The evening raised ONE million dollars. I think Taylor's jewelry that night were already worth half that much.......
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A*O

We do our bit when it comes to giving to worthwhile charities but we have strict criteria about what "worthwhile" means. Yes, Ebola is nasty but it's been around forever and it's only since more than "poor, ignorant Africans" started dying that the world took any real notice. The good news is that a vaccine or effective treatment may well happen and soon but I don't need Bob and Bono hectoring me to give $$$ they don't seem willing to hand over themselves.

And while I'm ranting, I refuse to support any charity or good cause that can afford to pay a call centre to hassle me at dinner time, expensive glossy mail shots, whole page newspaper ads and billboards. I will support those who channel the money where it's supposed to go.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^Unfortunately that's the reality of fundraising now. Even small, worthwhile charities are forced to bring in "consultants" who take a huge chunk of proceeds and lead to me being harassed by groups of backpackers on every corner. I don't give to any of them lately because I'm poor and practically a charity case myself and I can't afford to pay some 22 year old Irish girl's wages, but I still give to flood/bushfire relief, I guess because it's so immediate and could be anyone you know.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Yes, I support "emergency" fund raisers, eg bushfires or floods or farmers but I won't support the ecoloons who say it's all our fault. And I don't like the collectors who use gruesome pics of abused animals and dead foetuses either. I do give to our local animal shelter because I know they will use the money properly. I'm also a big supporter of the RFDS who quietly get on with doing a fantastic job.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information