Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: “Django Unchained” Actress Mistaken For Prostitute, Arrested

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    But the thing is, in most circumstances people, at least in the US, have a right to turn their backs on a cop and walk away with impunity. And we should have that right. If you haven't done anything wrong, and an officer comes up to you and starts harassing you, why should you have to stand there and listen to him spewing crap? This is not an unusual thing. Police in the 'hood will approach people just to harass them, or because they have family members involved in crime, or just live in a certain neighborhood. People shouldn't be required to entertain some asshole police officer's harassment (not all are assholes but many are) just because they are cops.

One of our clients recently was arrested because he was talking to another guy on the street when the police drove by. They looked at the police, and the other guy turned walked away. Our client turned and walked away to his house which was less than a block away. He walked into his house. The police broke the door down, and started shooting into the house. They shot his dog. They shot into a room with small children in it. In his house they found one blunt. A fucking blunt. No other evidence of a crime.

So we file a motion to throw out the blunt for being illegally obtained. The prosecutor proceeds to argue that ending a conversation when you see the police in a "high crime area" (we live in a major city and all of it is a high crime area) and walking away into your house gives the police probable cause to search your house and arrest you! So, turn your back on a cop and it's ok if they kick your door down and kill your dog. We won the motion, but how frightening that the prosecutor argued that you don't have the right to walk away from the damn police. The Constitution says otherwise, thank God, and occasionally judges will actually uphold it.

I totally agree that if the police are investigating a crime and stop you, you should cooperate. But if they aren't investigating a crime, and are stopping you just to do it- screw that. You can walk away and the law protects that. The problem is that it's often hard difficult to figure out whether they are investigating something specific or just harassing you. So, that's why I caution people to err on the side of cooperating, even if you think the cop is wrong.

Sorry for the manifesto but I saw a lot of injustice at court today and I am angry and feeling anti-establishment.
    I really do agree with you & I think I get what you're saying (and very sorry that happened to your client). I'm no expert on the law about this but I guess the sticking point with me is that she didn't just see the cop & walk away. He approached her and asked her for id in response to a call and she ignored him & walked away. I ask sincerely to anybody who cares to answer - what is the cop supposed to do at that point? Granted, he was not investigating a car jacking or bank robbery and it wasn't a serious "crime" even if it happened for sure but he was still doing his job appropriately when she decided not to cooperate. Like Kitty said upthread, what if cops just let individuals decide for themselves & criminals are allowed to walk away because they don't think they've done anything wrong?

And again, I am sick to death of dickhead cops lately. Cops in my small town just spent taxpayer money on a fucking armored vehicle. It was pictured on the front page of the paper, all the out-of-shape officers standing around it with hard ons like they're completely badass now, wanting everyone to admire their big pointless expensive small penis compensation. And people DID - people commented on the website with all the predictable redneck bullshit about hell yeah, we're getting tougher on crime etc. Because yeah, you never know when those evil bikers are gonna start throwing grenades or shooting mortars. I've always leaned more toward pro-law enforcement in sketchy situations but they are making it HARD to continue doing that based on what I see in the news and what I see in my own town.

If everybody would just stop being assholes, we wouldn't have this problem.
    idunno, hustle4alivin and tulip like this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Bronze Member

here's an interesting opinion piece about this case. i'm not a fan of cops lately either. still, this particular case does seems different. i can appreciate the view expressed here:

Daniele Watts was out of line (Opinion) - CNN.com

(CNN) -- I'm frustrated by the story of "Django Unchained" actress Daniele Watts' claim of racism after being detained by a police officer.
    I think it is true that police officers, in general, are more likely to be suspicious of black people than white people in specific circumstances, and I know the phenomenon of "driving while black" happens. I have clients who have who have been pulled over, questioned and detained without any obvious probable cause.
    It reminds me of an incident a few weeks ago in which Hollywood producer Charles Belk was detained by police officers for six hours until cops realized they had the wrong "tall, bald-headed black male." Such an event is demoralizing and humiliating, and it is evidence of how ingrained cultural biases affect law-abiding citizens. It's the kind of action that gives black people reason to be distrustful of cops.
    Mark O'Mara

What happened to Belk is the kind of incident that can help white people understand how racial bias impacts other people's lives. White people, like it or not, receive the benefit of racial bias, although it's hardly ever very apparent when it happens.
    When I quickly catch a cab in Manhattan, I don't think, "that was easy because I was white." When I'm pulled over by police, I never think, "I bet this would go better if I was black." It's an unnatural thought process, but it's a thought process that keeps many whites from understanding an experience shared by many blacks.

TV producer mistaken for robber

When such an incident happens to a high-profile personality -- such as a Hollywood producer or actress -- it provides an opportunity for people from both sides of the racial divide to connect and identify with the story. In a situation like Belk's, it has the potential to foster a broader understanding of our inherent cultural biases. That's a good thing; it's a conversation about race that has the potential to bring us closer together.
    But the details in the Watts' case could produce the opposite effects. Police responded to a very specific call: a white man and a black woman in a Mercedes involved in a sex act outside the CBS Studio. The officer explained why he had probable cause to ask for her identification. Her continued refusal to comply resulted in her being temporarily placed in handcuffs. When her boyfriend persuaded her to produce her ID, she was finally released.

Here are some basic legal procedures: Police are allowed to ask you for your identification when they are investigating a particular event that may be a crime; it's part of their job. If they have probable cause to believe an actual crime occurred, they are allowed to arrest you. Asking for your ID is a polite first step to establish whether further investigation is appropriate and whether an arrest is warranted.
    I have analyzed and critiqued cops' behavior lately, and I think law enforcement everywhere in this country has to do better, especially when it comes to addressing bias in their police work. However, there are some basic rules to follow when interacting with law enforcement: respect them and their authority -- indeed, their obligation -- to investigate circumstances. If a cop acts inappropriate, file that complaint later, not during the interaction on the street. That is a battle you simply will not win.
    In Watts' case, the officer was doing his job, and it was Watts who was out of line. I think many people -- especially many white people -- are going to look at the Watts situation and come to the conclusion that she overreacted. In the best-case scenario, it detracts from the significance of cases like the Belk case, inn which outrage is justified. In the worst-case scenario, Watts' reaction re-entrenches prejudices held by some that black suspects contribute disproportionately to the contentious relationship between cops and the black community.
    Either way, Watts' behavior and her accusations in this case are not conducive to advancing thoughtful discussions about race. If we want a constructive conversation, we need to engage in a way that brings us together, not pushes us further apart.
    South Lake and Kathie_Moffett like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    I just don't get why she wouldn't just show her ID. Seems like it might have resolved the situation much quicker instead of wasting everyones time over something so stupid. Eitherway, messed up situation.
    100% agree with this. It's like she Wanted to exacerbate the problem so she could claim racism, when they likely would have arrested anyone who refused to show I.D.
    "Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast."

mjw
    Elite Member

The "Django Unchained" actress who cried racism against the LAPD ... claiming they harassed and hurt her because she was just making out with making out with her white boyfriend in a car -- has some explaining to do, because we obtained pictures that seem to show A LOT more than sucking face.

The pictures were taken Thursday outside the CBS lot in Studio City. You see Daniele Watts straddling BF Brian -- their hands steadying themselves around the sunroof.

An eyewitness who saw Daniele and Brian as he worked in a nearby office tells TMZ ... Brian was sitting in the passenger seat with his feet on the curb and Daniele was straddling him with her shirt pulled up -- breasts exposed. The eyewitness says she was grinding on top of him, rocking back and forth.

Someone from the office went down and asked Daniele and Brian to stop because everyone in the office could see them but they continued.

The eyewitnesses says Brian then began "horizontally bongoing her boobs back and forth." He says she eventually reached into the center console, grabbed a tissue, wiped him down and then herself and tossed it on the grass.

Someone from the office called the cops and made an indecent exposure complaint. TMZ obtained police audio when the cops came out, and Daniele played the race and fame card

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3DZbTWNp3

Elite Member

They couldn't even close the door????????
    Did you think no one would notice?

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    They couldn't even close the door????????
    Did you think no one would notice?
    I wonder if they were on something. I'm half expecting an "entering rehab" announcement for either or both of them.
    rollo, pinkbunnyslippers and Mrs P like this.

I see nothing but if the description is right, yuck.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

The only reason to be going at it like that with a car door open and people all around is if you are into dogging, and most of that type go to out of the way places where they have little chance of being arrested.

Stoopid bitch is stoopid. If she'd just handed over her ID and stayed put then none of this would have happened. It would be unlikely that anyone would have joined the dots to say "Hey! That Django Unchained bit part actress likes to get her thang on in full view of everyone!", nobody would be calling her a whiny little bitch who'd just made it harder for anyone being racially targeted by police to be taken seriously and she might still be getting offers of work that didn't involve sex tapes (speculating on that last part, but its only a matter of time).

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    I see nothing but if the description is right, yuck.
    Even if they were just 'grinding' instead of having penetrative sex, that's still way more than should be going on in an overlooked public place during daylight hours, so yeah, yuck! I wouldn't ever dare show my face around town again!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

He says she eventually reached into the center console, grabbed a tissue, wiped him down and then herself and tossed it on the grass.

Fucking litter bug!
    Kittylady, Trixie, CL** and 9 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

The eyewitnesses says Brian then began "horizontally bongoing her boobs back and forth."
    llamamama, sputnik and Kittylady like this.
    "You should've never trusted Hollywood..."

Now that's a PDA!!
    Kittylady likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    I'm confused how raunchy was the PDA that someone thought you were a prostitute and a John? Its California so I kinda don't buy the "I'm black and he's white reasoning!!" Maybe if it was Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    True but I'm thinking it's more to this story
    I told you!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I'm confused how raunchy was the PDA that someone thought you were a prostitute and a John? Its California so I kinda don't buy the "I'm black and he's white reasoning!!" Maybe if it was Alabama
    It reminded me just a little bit, though, of the time that Hugh Grant was popped while he was hooking up with a prostitute (Divine Brown) in a car in LA.

Elite Member

She's such an idiot for creating this drama, lying and bringing attention to this. They probably just would have gotten a verbal warning had she handed over the ID.

I don't think it's a race thing either. A junker car pulled over to the curb with a woman and man going at it in broad daylight with the door open? I think the cops are going to think prostitute + john regardless of skin color.
    Kittylady and A*O like this.

I feel foolish for having reacted to it so quickly. I truly believed that she and her man were victims of racism.
    They're just WHORES!
    Sarzy and Belt Up like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information