Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: “Django Unchained” Actress Mistaken For Prostitute, Arrested

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    I just don't get why she wouldn't just show her ID. Seems like it might have resolved the situation much quicker instead of wasting everyones time over something so stupid. Eitherway, messed up situation.
    I wouldn't show it either as a matter of principle. If I'm not doing anything wrong they have no business knowing who I am. They can take me down to the station and lock me up, and the next day I would be very busy calling human rights lawyers and TV current affairs programs.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    I just don't get why she wouldn't just show her ID. Seems like it might have resolved the situation much quicker instead of wasting everyones time over something so stupid. Eitherway, messed up situation.

Why should I show you my ID? I am not committing any crime. You have NO evidence of a crime being committed. Nope, not showing you my ID, calling every pap I can think of, including skeezy TMZ, documenting my injuries & calling my attorney.
    I would also be doing my best to make sure that this incident goes on these cops' records.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

My SO told me that he read that she was in a car, in a private parking lot, making out with her husband. The owner (I think) came out to tell them to knock it off and leave because employees were distracted. They didn't. Cops were called. She demanded to know what they wanted and why they were requesting her ID. They wouldn't tell her, so she wouldn't get out and show them ID. A second cop came a few minutes later and arrested her. I don't know where he read it. I've looked for a local article, but I can't find it.

This has happened to me before. I was in Oslo, with my ex who is white. We came back around 4am after partying. The guy at the hotel front desk said something to him, and went back and forth for a while (in Norwegian). When we went up to the room, I asked what he said. The guy said "You cannot bring her here". Long story short he thought I was a hooker.
    We complained the next day. The manager gave us a free weekend in the future as a result. When visiting again, we asked about the guy we dealt with, and was told, "He is no longer here".
    Last edited by pinkbunnyslippers; September 14th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by mostroop View Post
    Why should I show you my ID? I am not committing any crime. You have NO evidence of a crime being committed. Nope, not showing you my ID, calling every pap I can think of, including skeezy TMZ, documenting my injuries & calling my attorney.
    I would also be doing my best to make sure that this incident goes on these cops' records.
    The police are allowed to approach you and ask you for your ID whenever they want to. Whether they can hold you if you don't give it to them depends. And unfortunately you might not be aware of why they are stopping you, and can cause yourself a big headache if you refuse to comply with them. Refuse to do it as a black male and your life may end up in danger. And sad, but the media and the news don't care that the police inconvenienced you. And the police department doesn't care about your complainants. Internal Affairs cares nothing for the public. Not one iota.

If you don't give it to them you are only causing trouble for yourself.

I know some people refuse to do it "on principle," but that's plain foolish IMO. Your life, liberty and criminal record are usually not worth whatever your principle is. This is my opinion as someone who represents the accused for a living (and fights these ridiculous stops on a daily basis). As a regular person, I see where people are coming from but the defense attorney in me would really advise people to cooperate.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ i agree. based on the photo, she is wearing normal clothes, not hooker wear. so i want to know what they were doing (if anything) that made a third party call the police. that's what i'm not getting. it doesn't make sense to me that they were stopped just because they were an interacial couple in LA (like kris said, it is unclear what city) who were kissing.
    Hookers wear normal clothes. I saw them on the Hip Strip in Montego Bay.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    The police are allowed to approach you and ask you for your ID whenever they want to. Whether they can hold you if you don't give it to them depends. And unfortunately you might not be aware of why they are stopping you, and can cause yourself a big headache if you refuse to comply with them. Refuse to do it as a black male and your life may end up in danger. And sad, but the media and the news don't care that the police inconvenienced you. And the police department doesn't care about your complainants. Internal Affairs cares nothing for the public. Not one iota.

I know some people refuse to do it "on principle," but that's plain foolish IMO. Your life, liberty and criminal record are usually not worth whatever your principle is. This is my opinion as someone who represents the accused for a living (and fights these ridiculous stops on a daily basis). As a regular person, I see where people are coming from but the defense attorney in me would really advise people to cooperate.
    yeah, I sort of worry that people with the most reason to distrust cops are the very ones who are least likely to comply with unreasonable stops, endangering themselves in the process.
    stella blue, Annika and JazzyGirl like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

The call may have been bogus but police have to respond to it. So they turn up, and ask for I.D.. Someone refuses... shit escalates.

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post

Truth.

Funny thing is, the folks who are most vocal about "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide" when it happens to people of color are the same ones stockpiling bullets with Don't Tread on Me stickers on their trucks.

Minorities in the US really do have to deal with a whole different level of bullshit and that is beyond wrong.
    Callalily and ConstanceSpry like this.

If I had my daughter in the car, I would probably more readily comply. We had a woman here that didn't comply with police orders and her kids were thrown in with CPS for a nice overnight trip. She did nothing wrong, simply questioned the police as to why they were frisking her and screaming for her ID. So, I wouldn't want that to happen to my kid. But, I would be insistent when it came to why they were asking me for my ID. If I was doing nothing wrong I would certainly ask why they wanted my ID, if they wouldn't answer I don't think I would give it to them. Maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's right. I find it hard to believe that the police can stop anyone and ask for ID without cause.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Silver Member

^^the police can ask for your id without cause and they do that whenever they get good and ready.

I remember me and my 2 friends were driving down the street. Cop pulls us over. Doesn't tells us why. Demands id. They complied. I wouldn't. While they were running my friends' id, they pleaded with me to show them my id, cause if I didn't, they would take it out on them. So, I showed my id. They pulled my friends out the car. 2 more police showed up. They had them at the back of the car making all kinds of n-word jokes at them, trying to provoke. One officer sticks his head in the car window, talking about my 'brown sugar' and asking how big the other 2 were and if they were gang bangers, did they 'gang bang' me and how was it.' I was scared I thought the bastard would drag me off in the bushes, he was exciting himself with this trash talk. They wanted my friends to tap dance; said it would get them out of a ticket. 2 more cops showed up, we're on the side of the road, you'd think we robbed a damn bank.

After about 30 min. they let us go, no ticket, no warning, no nothing. What was our 'crime'? Going to the mall to see a movie and then going out to eat. No one had an appetite after that. When you are a minority, you see the worst side of these people on a daily basis. I've seen cops ignore troublemakers and pick on school kids, you complain it goes nowhere. Hell there's one notorious precinct around here they'll tear up complaints in front of your face and threaten to make your life hell if you go any further. The honest cops, they even make their lives hell. That gang of blue is something else.
    Mel1973 and lindsaywhit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    If I had my daughter in the car, I would probably more readily comply. We had a woman here that didn't comply with police orders and her kids were thrown in with CPS for a nice overnight trip. She did nothing wrong, simply questioned the police as to why they were frisking her and screaming for her ID. So, I wouldn't want that to happen to my kid. But, I would be insistent when it came to why they were asking me for my ID. If I was doing nothing wrong I would certainly ask why they wanted my ID, if they wouldn't answer I don't think I would give it to them. Maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's right. I find it hard to believe that the police can stop anyone and ask for ID without cause.
    I don't think you're stupid. In fact, it's people like you who get things changed. I like to think I'd stand up just the same, but I also doubt it would come up for a 30something white lady in the south.
    KrisNine, lindsaywhit and sparkles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Callalily View Post
    ^^the police can ask for your id without cause and they do that whenever they get good and ready.

I remember me and my 2 friends were driving down the street. Cop pulls us over. Doesn't tells us why. Demands id. They complied. I wouldn't. While they were running my friends' id, they pleaded with me to show them my id, cause if I didn't, they would take it out on them. So, I showed my id. They pulled my friends out the car. 2 more police showed up. They had them at the back of the car making all kinds of n-word jokes at them, trying to provoke. One officer sticks his head in the car window, talking about my 'brown sugar' and asking how big the other 2 were and if they were gang bangers, did they 'gang bang' me and how was it.' I was scared I thought the bastard would drag me off in the bushes, he was exciting himself with this trash talk. They wanted my friends to tap dance; said it would get them out of a ticket. 2 more cops showed up, we're on the side of the road, you'd think we robbed a damn bank.

After about 30 min. they let us go, no ticket, no warning, no nothing. What was our 'crime'? Going to the mall to see a movie and then going out to eat. No one had an appetite after that. When you are a minority, you see the worst side of these people on a daily basis. I've seen cops ignore troublemakers and pick on school kids, you complain it goes nowhere. Hell there's one notorious precinct around here they'll tear up complaints in front of your face and threaten to make your life hell if you go any further. The honest cops, they even make their lives hell. That gang of blue is something else.
    That's terrible. I don't even know what else to say. I'm sorry that you've had to go through such nightmare. It's really sad that this is where we are in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I don't think you're stupid. In fact, it's people like you who get things changed. I like to think I'd stand up just the same, but I also doubt it would come up for a 30something white lady in the south.
    Nah, I'm a white woman in her 40's in Orange county, CA.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

this is beyond fucked up. i wish she would sue the motherfuckers.
    Yellowjacket and lindsaywhit like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

For me, the press would not care at all. For an actress, she will get press coverage. I was speaking in terms of me being in her place with her 'fame'
    I would also make sure that I called my attorney.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information