Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: David Letterman: Jay Leno Is "the Most Insecure Person I Have Ever Known"

  1. #16
    Elite Member Calico Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    ^where is all of that info coming from?
    There was a book and TV movie (1996) called The Late Shift: Letterman, Leno, and the Network Battle for the Night, that presented much of the same information. IIRC, Leno didn't come out too well at all.

  2. #17
    fgg
    fgg is offline
    Elite Member fgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    34,207

    Default

    thanks. i meant more of the recent stuff like the layoffs.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

  3. #18
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    23,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Leno forced Carson into retirement. He and his manager planted stories in the press that NBC was unhappy with Carson, that Carson was too old and out of it, etc. Carson found out and confronted Leno about it and never liked him after that.

    The first year Leno hosted the Tonight Show the ratings were so bad that NBC went behind his back and offered the job to Letterman saying they'd made a mistake. Letterman refused because he was happier at CBS and said he didn't like Jay, but wouldn't humiliate him like that. Leno went whining to the press at the time and said how unfair it was that he'd only been given a year, no one could expect an adjustment in that time, etc. Which is why it was so shitty when Leno tried to blame Conan for the low Tonight Show ratings in his first nine months on the air, especially since a huge part of that was Leno's fault with his disastrous nightly talk show which wrecked NBC's primetime schedule. Because when Leno tanked for much longer than that he was full of excuses, but when he had a direct hand in wrecking Conan's ratings suddenly it was only Conan's fault. (Leno's Tonight Show only recovered in ratings when NBC's primetime schedule bounced back with The Cosby Show, Cheers, et al.) The only reason Leno got away with it was because he was buddies with Jeff Zucker, but Zucker is gone now (fired partially because of the Tonight Show debacle).

    Leno's ratings have been down ever since his return and now with Zucker gone he has no protection, so he's getting axed next year. They already cut half the staff to save costs and are running a skeleton crew now. In the end, Conan and Letterman are going to have the last laugh, because they'll both still outlast Leno on the air. And instead of retiring gracefully and getting the dignified sendoff (with five years of preparation!) he got when Conan took over, Leno is going to end his TV career basically in disgrace as the the guy who wrecked NBC primetime, fucked over two different Late Night hosts, brought The Tonight Show to its lowest depths and got the president of NBC fired, only to eventually get fired himself. All because he panicked and decided he couldn't deal not having his own TV show. All those people he screwed over (including his own staff) for a paltry extra two years of airtime. Sad.
    Thanks for the info NoNo and Trixie. Reading over my post, I think it came off like I thought Jay is some nice, cuddly guy when I meant that I don't think he's any worse than Conan, Letterman, Rivers, etc. as far as ambition goes. Possibly, Letterman is more of a stand-up guy, because he didn't want to stick a knife in anyone's back when he left NBC. But I wouldn't trust anyone around the promise of that level of fame and money, it's still big business. I still think it's kind of dumb what Conan did, because IIRC, he got paid a huge sum of money when he left and the only thing he really succeeded in doing was burning his bridge with NBC. Maybe he'd be back up for the job now. Jimmy Fallon is OK, but I still haven't decided if he's Tonight Show material or not.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

  4. #19
    Bronze Member Daisy Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On a beach in the US
    Posts
    147

    Default

    @NoNoRehab... Thank you! Wonderful post. I'm old enough to remember the 'Carson ratings slipping' scare. And I was upset when NBC choose Leno over Letterman. The first year Leno took over, he was godawful. His humor improvement was due to better writers. Good to be alive and see this backstabbing, manipulating bastard get his karma.

    I have to giggle at Letterman, he was upstanding enough to not take the job from Leno when he had the chance. But he's a douche when it comes to women especially interns. LOL!

  5. #20
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    24,747

    Default

    Guess I'm the only one on the board who likes Leno. I can live with that.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

    - Mark Twain

  6. #21
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    23,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Guess I'm the only one on the board who likes Leno. I can live with that.
    I don't hate him and he's definitely made me laugh before. I think I'm an equal opportunity hater/liker of all of them.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

  7. #22
    Elite Member Flygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Sun View Post
    Good to be alive and see this backstabbing, manipulating bastard get his karma.
    If getting fired (or what I consider at his age retiring) after hosting your own show since 1992 and career earnings of over 286 million is karma, I'll take some of that karma! I get your point; I just detest Jay's whining. Why can't people ever be grateful for all the opportunities they've been given? Throwing a hissy fit because someone's telling you it's about time to turn over the reins is not bowing out gracefully, which he's had several chances to do.

  8. #23
    Elite Member Seth82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,653

    Default

    meh they're both awful. Letterman hasn't been funny in years. Leno never really was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

  9. #24
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Guess I'm the only one on the board who likes Leno. I can live with that.
    No, I like him too.
    Brookie likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  10. #25
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Apocalyptic
    Posts
    26,694

    Default

    Team Dave. I've always liked him. But what others see as no longer being funny, I see him as mellowing out in his old age. He's still funny to me, and he has good writers. Leno IMO, beats topics to death for weeks on end. And I think what he helped do to Conan O'Brien was so vile and low. The only thing I like about Jay is the fact that he is a car geek.
    snoopqueen likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

  11. #26
    Elite Member CornFlakegrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hanging with the raisin girls
    Posts
    14,975

    Default

    Team Dave here too. I agree with Bitter he has mellowed but I still love the old dog. He's insecure though too. His neurosis about doing a good show are legend. But anytime he wants to give that ham sandwich Leno a smack down is fine with me.
    BITTER, OrangeSlice and snoopqueen like this.

  12. #27
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Count me in as Team Dave too. Loved him for years and while the show has lossed the edge it once had, I still prefer him way over Leno. I find Leno schmaltzy and boring. Strange thing is when Leno used to come on Late Night he was my favorite guest. He and Dave together were a riot.

  13. #28
    Elite Member Trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    exiled and ostrich sized
    Posts
    21,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Thanks for the info NoNo and Trixie. Reading over my post, I think it came off like I thought Jay is some nice, cuddly guy when I meant that I don't think he's any worse than Conan, Letterman, Rivers, etc. as far as ambition goes. Possibly, Letterman is more of a stand-up guy, because he didn't want to stick a knife in anyone's back when he left NBC. But I wouldn't trust anyone around the promise of that level of fame and money, it's still big business. I still think it's kind of dumb what Conan did, because IIRC, he got paid a huge sum of money when he left and the only thing he really succeeded in doing was burning his bridge with NBC. Maybe he'd be back up for the job now. Jimmy Fallon is OK, but I still haven't decided if he's Tonight Show material or not.
    I hear ya, but for me, anyone who who screwed over Conan, Letterman AND Johnny Carson--who he basically forced into retirement to get his job, then when the time came for HIM to step down (per the written contract he agreed to) for Conan, went kicking and screaming and whining--well, just not a nice guy in my book and somebody who I can't respect or ever watch on tv again. Sure, it might be a cutthroat business but it's not like his actions were an isolated incident, it's a pattern of activity from a man with no integrity.

    I hope Jimmy Fallon doesn't fall prey to the Tonight Show jinx; he seems to have carved a nice niche for himself but I don't know if I'd touch that gig with a ten foot pole if I were him.
    Daisy Sun likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~



  14. #29
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    24,747

    Default

    AFAIK, people in show business aren't nice. If they were, they'd be doing something else.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

    - Mark Twain

  15. #30
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    23,644

    Default

    It's a public secret that Johnny Carson was a major a-hole in his own right, so much so, that people were scared shitless of him and only dared open up about it after he died.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: April 11th, 2007, 09:03 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 18th, 2006, 10:56 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 16th, 2006, 02:37 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: February 10th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •