Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: David Bowie has died

I thought I was handling his death fine but as soon as one of his songs came on at work I had to go to the backroom to compose myself.

According to the Daily Mail, the last pictures of him smiling in a suit and hat were taken on the set of his last video clip, so around November/December 2015, by his photographer Jimmy King
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I love this video of David from the Extras (Ricky Gervais show) 'behind the scenes' section on the DVD. He's so endearing.

And of course the best part of the whole series. Sorry, can only post the link: Extras David Bowie - Video Dailymotion
    faithanne likes this.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Iman took this photo of him on his birthday -- on FRIDAY.

So I know the man had more style without even trying than most of us could even imagine. But seriously -- he looks this vital and dapper two days before death??
    Sometimes cancer confuses me.... I'd assume people are just bedridden in their last days, but apparently not always so.

I love how happy he looks here. He always seemed so genuine with people. One of a handful of the super-famous who have next to zero negative stories about him....despite all the excesses of the 70s etc.
    The two people I have lost to cancer seemed more alive and functioning right before they passed. My sister-in-law was in a coma after breast cancer and brain tumors, but came out of it for several days to spend with her family. My grandma was ill too, in a coma, but woke up to say good-bye to us. Now when anyone is terminally ill, I get paranoid when they perk up.

Silver Member

ut seriously -- he looks this vital and dapper two days before death??
    Sometimes cancer confuses me.... I'd assume people are just bedridden in their last days, but apparently not always so.
    My late uncle was dying of cancer and we went up to see him one last time. He spent the duration of the time in bed in Camden NJ and didn't have the strength to come downstairs so we spent all of the time upstairs in his tiny room. He looked so weak.
    We left a couple of days later to visit some other family members in Philadelphia. 2 days after that when we had gotten back home we found out that the day after we left my Uncle had gone out to the harbor to see the long boats that had come in for some historical thing or another. I couldn't believe it.
    He was dead within 2 weeks of his feeling good enough to go out on the boats.

He looked no where near as good as David Bowie looks in that picture however .........

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I'm watching the final Ziggy Stardust show at the Hammersmith. This was when I loved him most. I remember as a kid being so jealous of my teenage sister going off to see David Bowie in her corduroy flairs and satin jacket.

I'm going to look on the bright side and welcome the bombardment of Bowie we're about to experience. I'd be happy for all Bowie, all the time.
    I'm watching it again right now too. Third time in five days. He was on fire. And the color of fire!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Iman took this photo of him on his birthday -- on FRIDAY.

So I know the man had more style without even trying than most of us could even imagine. But seriously -- he looks this vital and dapper two days before death??

I love how happy he looks here. He always seemed so genuine with people. One of a handful of the super-famous who have next to zero negative stories about him....despite all the excesses of the 70s etc.
    Incredible photo, thank you.

Some friends pay tribute:

Tributes to the iconic glam rock singer David Bowie have poured in from around the world after the announcement of his death on Monday morning, following an 18-month battle with cancer.

Those from the icon’s close friends and fellow musicians have been particularly poignant, including tributes from Brian Eno and Mick Jagger - both of whom collaborated with Bowie on various musical projects.
    Both rock stars offered moving tributes to their "dear friend" today, describing him as a “true original” and an "inspiration".

British musician and former member of Roxy Music, Brian Eno, worked with Bowie on albums including his famous Berlin Trilogy in the mid-1970s and the pair remained close friends until Bowie's death.
    Issuing a statement to the BBC, Eno revealed he had discussed revisiting the 1995album Outside in a new project with Bowie. He added that Bowie's last words to him, sent in an email just a week before his death, had a valedictory tone. Eno said: "David's death came as a complete surprise, as did nearly everything else about him. I feel a huge gap now.
    "We knew each other for over 40 years, in a friendship that was always tinged by echoes of Pete and Dud. Over the last few years - with him living in New York and me in London - our connection was by email. We signed off with invented names: some of his were mr showbiz, milton keynes, rhoda borrocks and the duke of ear.
    "About a year ago we started talking about Outside - the last album we worked on together. We both liked that album a lot and felt that it had fallen through the cracks. We talked about revisiting it, taking it somewhere new. I was looking forward to that."I received an email from him seven days ago. It was as funny as always, and as surreal, looping through word games and allusions and all the usual stuff we did. It ended with this sentence: 'Thank you for our good times, brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/david-bowie-mick-jagger-and-brian-eno-pay-touching-tributes-to-their-dear-friend-a6806846.html

Paul McCartney Remembers the ‘Great Laughs’ He Shared With David Bowie

Very sad news to wake up to on this raining morning. David was a great star and I treasure the moments we had together. His music played a very strong part in British musical history and I’m proud to think of the huge influence he has had on people all around the world. I send my deepest sympathies to his family and will always remember the great laughs we had through the years. His star will shine in the sky forever.

http://www.spin.com/2016/01/paul-mccartney-david-bowie-instagram-eulogy-read/

Debbie Harry: 'Who Doesn't Love David Bowie?'

"In NYC there is a yearly Bowie Ball when local musicians all perform a Bowie song," Harry said, referencing the yearly event at Le Poisson Rouge hosted by designer Deryck Todd. "It happens every year and this next one will be a sad and extremely heartfelt evening for everyone."

Read more: Debbie Harry: 'Who Doesn't Love David Bowie?' | Rolling Stone
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Now read about this Duke of Seduction's delicious love life....

David Bowie was the rock superstar incarnate, with a voracious appetite to match. But the true extent of his relentless romantic adventuring – including affairs with Susan Sarandon, Tina Turner and Lulu – has never been revealed... until now

After a David Bowie concert in Los Angeles in October 1972, just four months after the release of The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars and with American Bowiemania at its height, DJ Wolfman Jack threw a party at his home, with the singer as guest of honour.

Bowie, watching from the sidelines, fixed on a girl on the dance floor swirling around sexily with producer and LA scenester Kim Fowley. When the dance was over, Bowie tentatively approached Fowley.

‘Is she with you?’ Bowie enquired politely. ‘No,’ said Fowley. ‘Are you in love with her?’ Bowie probed.
    ‘No.’ Empowered, Bowie walked across the floor to the girl.

‘My name is David Bowie,’ he said. ‘Would you like to accompany me to the bathroom?’

She didn’t think twice. Together, they walked into the bathroom, locked the door, and did not emerge for quite some time, ignoring two drag queens who hammered on the door with their high heels, screaming, ‘Open the door, we can do a better job than she can!

When they emerged, Bowie kissed the girl on the cheek, shook her hand, and said, ‘Thank you,’ and off she went, charmed to the toes by Bowie, always among the most sexually liberated – and well-mannered – of rock stars. More than 40 years on, happily and monogamously married to the Somalian model Iman for the past 22 of those, David Bowie is a grand old man of rock – respected, all-powerful and both elusive and reclusive. But as he bathes in a new wave of critical acclaim, it’s easy to forget that Bowie’s was a career founded not just on a spectacular musical talent and a fearless style, but also on a casual yet highly ambitious attitude to sexual adventuring. From a young age, Bowie glided relentlessly from one carnal experience to the next. As a Seventies superstar, he trumpeted to the press that he was gay at a time when even Elton John was still in the closet, then amended it to bisexual, in the process smashing through the accepted barrier of what was considered ‘normal’ sexuality.

A small sample of Bowie’s lovers in his voracious sexual odyssey might include male managers and record executives, as well as models, singers and groupies.

He squired Playboy model Bebe Buell, singer Nina Simone, Charlie Chaplin’s widow Oona (22 years his senior) and transsexual Romy Haag, and though Bowie has explicitly denied it, many have enjoyed speculating – as his first wife Angie once did – that David and Mick Jagger were lovers.

Other conquests, never denied, included Susan Sarandon, Tina Turner, Lulu, Roxy music cover model Amander Lear and Ronnie Spector of The Ronettes.

As he put it in a 1997 BBC radio interview: ‘I was hitting on everybody. I had a wonderfully irresponsible, promiscuous time.’

Even from the age of 13, raised in south London by a chilly mother and a doting, PR-man father, the young David Jones was engaging, handsome and charming, and girls flocked to him like homing pigeons.

He manifested a vein of ruthlessness whenever a girl took his fancy, riding roughshod over any competition. The punch that permanently damaged the pupil in his left eye at the age of 14 – giving the sense that his eyes are different colours – was over a girl he had attempted to steal from his classmate and best friend George Underwood. Within a few years, Bowie’s career and his sexuality were already becoming intertwined. When early manager Ralph Horton invited rock manager Simon Napier-Bell to take a 50-50 deal to become co-manager of Davie Jones and The Lower Third, the band’s handsome, blond 17-year-old singer was a key part of the package.

Today, Napier-Bell still remembers every detail of what happened when he arrived at Horton’s London flat, where he found Davie sitting ‘demurely in a corner’.

Without introducing them, Horton took Napier-Bell aside and put forward the following proposition: ‘He said that if I were to agree to come in on the management, he would allow me to have sex with his young protégé,’ says Napier-Bell. ‘I had no idea whether the protégé was in on the proposition or not.’

As the subject was in the room at the time, it seems likely he had agreed to the deal. Napier-Bell, who would eventually go on to manage Wham!, declined. After Ralph Horton, the ambitious young Bowie would move on to another manager, Ken Pitt, who was patently in love with him. Despite his awareness that the singer swung both ways, Pitt clearly adored the fact that once Bowie moved into his flat, he habitually walked around stark naked. Moreover, Bowie was free and open with his charm and his ability to seduce, whether the target was female or male. He studied mime with former stripper Lindsay Kemp, and shared his bed as well, while also embarking on a simultaneous affair with Kemp’s costume and set designer, Natasha Kornilof.

When the two discovered that Bowie was two-timing them both with each other, Kornilof took an overdose of aspirin and Kemp cut his wrists. Bowie met his first wife, Angie, in 1969, the year of his number one hit single Space Oddity. Years later, David would tell the press that they were ‘both f***ing the same bloke’.
    And so they were. That man was 33-year-old Chinese-American A&R man Calvin Mark Lee, a flamboyant, flirty character from San Francisco who wore a glittering red jewel on his forehead.

Bowie with Angie and son Duncan Zowie. 'Sex wasn't any big deal for him (Bowie) and Angie,' said Zanetta

By now, Bowie was an emotional tightrope walker, living out a duplicitous existence. Introduced to Bowie by Calvin, Angie flung herself into an open relationship with abandon. In her, Bowie had found a loyal champion who would be by his side until she was no longer useful to him. Discarding those who had outlived their usefulness to him was one of his less palatable traits.

On his first American tour in the spring of 1971, promoting The Man Who Sold The World, Bowie quickly realised that his Little Lord Fauntleroy charm and pristine manners would smooth the path for him, and he didn’t hesitate to use them to his advantage with countless groupies, male and female.

One of them, Queenie, later said of him, ‘David is the sexiest one around. Like, you’ll walk into a room and he’ll stare right into your eyes. And he’ll go, “Hello,” and you’re at his mercy.’ In London, after a gig to which Bowie had invited singer Lulu, he took her to bed.

‘Some people have beautiful hands or beautiful necks, but I discovered that night that David had beautiful thighs – the best I’d ever seen, I had my own private viewing – up close and personal,’ she revealed in her autobiography.

With his Ziggy Stardust character, and his declaration of his gay sexuality to the Melody Maker, Bowie became a household name, and he and Angie – now joined by baby son Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones – found themselves besieged by crazed fans and groupies at Haddon Hall.

So they rented a house on Oakley Street, just off the Kings Road in Chelsea, where they set about creating a sexual cocoon for themselves.

Angie presided over her own personal Sodom and Gomorrah, the focal point of which was ‘The Pit’, a fur-covered bed in the sitting room, where, in front of a series of audiences, who generally ended up participating themselves, all permutations of sexuality were explored.

+

Bowie with Elizabeth Taylor in 1974

‘Angie and David used to have the most amazing orgies at Oakley Street,’ says model and socialite Vicki Hodge, girlfriend of London gangster John Bindon, one of the regular stars of the Oakley Street excesses.

‘Mick Jagger used to come there and be involved. John told me that David watched while he had sex with Angie.’

Bowie’s former assistant, Tony Zanetta, believes ‘sex wasn’t any big deal for him and Angie – it was like shaking hands at the end of the evening. To him, it was about being adored’.

Subsequently, Bowie would suggest the two of them go to bed with Angie. ‘David was a real seducer,’ says Zanetta. ‘He made you feel that you were the only person who exists, the centre of his universe.
    'Then he had you in his pocket, so to speak, but after that, he would move on to the next.’ When his management company’s publicist confided to an LA radio host that Bowie routinely made love to everyone who worked for him at least once, she was deluged with job applications.

As his relationship with Angie faltered – and desperate to shake a fierce cocaine addiction – Bowie relocated to Berlin in 1976. There, he would lay the foundations for his legendary Berlin Trilogy of albums – 1977’s Low and Heroes, and 1979’s Lodger. He would also resolve to be a better father to his son, though, in the company of his friend, singer Iggy Pop, it would be some time before he entirely cleaned up his act.

During the Eighties, Bowie’s focus shifted from music to acting. While making the 1983 vampire film The Hunger, he embarked on a relationship with his co-star, Susan Sarandon. Sensual, sexy and unconventional, Sarandon was, in many ways, a perfect woman for Bowie.

He called her ‘pure dynamite’, and after filming ended they carried on a three-year affair.

He would also dally with English aristocrat Sabrina Guinness, but for much of the decade, the love in his life was dancer Melissa Hurley, 20 years his junior. They were engaged, but split in 1990, and that October, at a friend’s party in Los Angeles, Bowie met Iman. ‘I was naming the children the night we met. I knew that she was for me; it was absolutely immediate. I just fell under her spell,’ Bowie said.
    The very next day, Iman flew out of LA bound for a fashion shoot, and when she arrived back, Bowie was on the tarmac, waiting for her. The bisexual, promiscuous, try-anything, go-to-bed-with-anyone sex addict had miraculously evolved into a romantic, love-struck swain.

Melissa Hurley

Bowie and Jagger: friends, rivals, flirts

When Bowie’s manager Tony Defries threw a star-studded end-of-Ziggy- Stardust-tour party at London’s Café Royal in 1973, Mick Jagger greeted Bowie by kissing him full on the lips.

Those who were there recall Bowie raving about Mick for the evening. Whether or not Bowie acted on his emotions for Mick is a matter of conjecture, though Angie Bowie’s allegation that she found Mick and her husband in bed has the ring of truth. Whatever romantic emotions Bowie might have nurtured for Mick, his ambition, as always, overrode everything.

When Bowie discovered that Mick was hiring Belgian designer Guy Peellaert to design his next album cover, he promptly picked up the phone and hired Guy to design the cover for his own Diamond Dogs album, as well. ‘Mick was silly,’ Bowie declared afterwards. ‘I mean, he should never have shown me anything new... because he knows I’ll snatch it.’

And Mick himself allegedly said: ‘Be careful of the shoes you wear around David, because next time you see him, he’ll be wearing them, and he’ll be wearing them better than you.’

In the spirit of their rivalry, Bowie had an affair with Jagger’s one-time girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull, and backing singer Claudia Lennear and dated Mick’s estranged wife Bianca.

But according to Bebe Buell, despite Bowie’s burgeoning cocaine addiction, Mick still retained respect for him as the Seventies wore on. ‘He didn’t like to mock David, because he still liked to have fun with him,’ she said. ‘They used to love to pick up beautiful black girls and take them back to the hotel and have mad sex with them.
    'They would act very androgynous with each other. Mick and Bowie were mates.’

In 1980, when Bowie starred on Broadway in The Elephant Man, audiences were won over by his performance. Lennon, too, had hoped to see the play, but was assassinated before he had the chance.

According to May Pang, Bowie went into shock at the news. She says he began screaming, ‘What the hell, what the f*** is going on with this world!’ not just once, but many, many times

Read more: David Bowie: 'He made you feel that you were the only person who exists, the centre of his universe' | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: David Bowie: 'He made you feel that you were the only person who exists, the centre of his universe' | Daily Mail Online

Ashes to ashes, funk to funky
    We know Major Tom's a junkie
    Strung out in heaven's high
    Hitting an all-time low

effie2, Belt Up and Annika like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I'm watching the final Ziggy Stardust show at the Hammersmith. This was when I loved him most. I remember as a kid being so jealous of my teenage sister going off to see David Bowie in her corduroy flairs and satin jacket.

I'm going to look on the bright side and welcome the bombardment of Bowie we're about to experience. I'd be happy for all Bowie, all the time.
    link?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It was on TV last night but I'll see if I can find it online.

eta I can't find the whole thing, just individual songs, but I'm at work so I'll try when I get home. If you can't wait Google "Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture".
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I watched last night and I've watched it so many times in the past, that I knew exactly what he was going to say and when. I also knew that at the end, when he performed Rock n' Roll Suicide, I was going to get all misty eyed and choked up. That song will kill you on a good day.

Another funny thing, because of David Bowie, I discovered Bauhaus I'm telling you, David Bowie is completely responsible for my taste in music!!

Plus, there's this. Oh, what a perfect day that would have been.

can anyone explain......were his eyes really two different colors? was it a medical condition? (because some of the pictures look more like it is just his pupils that are different sizes). sorry for the ignorance. I don't think I ever noticed this before you all started posting so many pictures of him.

His eyes are the same color. His best friend punched him in the eye at 14 because David was swooping on his gf and the pupil has been blown ever since.

oh wow, thanks for the info. I never knew that.

e.t.a. duh, I just went back and read the article on this same page. sorry I was only skimming information before (mostly looking at pictures)

some awesome gifs.

Alive yet???

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information