Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: David Bowie has died

I read it was liver cancer.

I was guessing lung. Considering he smoked forever. Cancer just fucking sucks. All of it.

I read lung cancer but I'm not buying it. He sounds too damn good on this last album.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Silver Member

I always thought people who cried over a famous person's death were stupid, like what does it matter to you when you didn't even know this person? I haven't cried over anyone ever but I cried over David Bowie's passing because it is just so incredibly sad that the world has lost this extraordinary man and I feel such a void, not in my personal life, but for all of us that he is gone.

https://youtu.be/uMQb9LCNGxs

Isolated vocals from Under Pressure, don't have the right link to post the video (not really a video, you just hear the vocals).

Let me try again:

Elite Member

Quoting one of the better tributes I've read. I don't know who to give credit to - friend of a friend posted on FB:

I’ve written enough eulogies over the past 12 months, but I wanted to say a quick thing about Bowie. I grew up the son of two Virginia teenagers who listened to stuff like Bob Seger and the Eagles. My only exposure to Bowie when I was young was through movies, and my dad making passing remarks about Bowie being weird and gay. Being from southern Virginia in the 1980s is something you spend your entire life overcoming.

Bowie’s importance didn’t really sink in for me until I started dating, and every woman I met (and most of the ones I’ve met since) loved him. Going back and listening to his work helped open my eyes a little not only to the purpose and worth of creativity, but to the fact that creativity wasn’t new. It wasn’t something we were doing today. It’s something people have been doing, for better or worse, long before we were around. Bowie was a guy who started off as a weird, gangly nobody and transformed himself into so many brilliant compartmentalized personae that it built into an impossible sum. He wasn’t a musician, or an actor, or a celebrity. He wasn’t a “pop culture icon,” or any of the things we say to describe the notable people we lose.

David Bowie was a landmark. Losing him is like finding out Mt. Rushmore has vanished. Losing Bowie’s like going to Paris and there being a big square where the Eiffel Tower used to be. He had turned off-kilter creativity into a building block in the cultural identity of everyone who grew up with or after him. He’ll continue to be that for kids growing up after he’s gone. He was a fact of life. Dying doesn’t change that. As my friend Max Meehan put it, “There will never be another pop star who actually built a universe rather than just insist that he was the sun. That made him great.”

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    https://youtu.be/uMQb9LCNGxs

Isolated vocals from Under Pressure, don't have the right link to post the video (not really a video, you just hear the vocals).

Let me try again:

Thank you moongirl, time stood still for its duration and I held my breath. It was ........... operatic
    LastLook, Moongirl and Mrs P like this.

Elite Member

My favorite band covered Heroes on NYE. They have a song called Heroes as well and they played them back to back. I was in tears hearing the cover (I'm a stone cold bi-otch 99% of the time but the right song at the right time melts me right down, and this one did it). There's no way they knew he was sick so the timing was just serendipitous. And there were a whole lotta youngins around who had no idea what they were playing. And now they do, so mission accomplished.

Midwife who birthed him said to his mother*this child has been here before*He always gave me that vibe..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Now Alan Rickman has died and I feel sick to even type it!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

One of his more obscure songs. It was actually written by George Harrison. I've always found this song rather haunting with the background carousel kind of music. Actually I love the whole Reality album.

effie2 and Serendipity like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    Now Alan Rickman has died and I feel sick to even type it!
    I know! He was the same age as David too - 69 and from cancer I think. The UK has lost 2 greats in one week
    Until the end of time. I'll be there for you. You own my heart and mind. I truly adore you
    -Prince Rogers Nelson

I was listening to this guy talk about him this morning and he said that he was amazed at all the people remembering him for not only his incredible talent, but for his kindness, sense of humor, and overall personality. He said he'd worked with him several times over the last few decades and that he was always kind, helpful, gracious, etc. No one (except Angie) had a bad word to say about him. Even some of his exes!! He also said he was amazed by his sense of humor. That he was a very funny man, with a dark sense of humor. I heard Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Fallon both say the same thing.

Seems like Alan Rickman is being remembered the same way.
    Serendipity, Mrs P and Kittylady like this.

If anyone has any tears left, check out Sarah Blasko's cover of Life on Mars. I'll post a link when I get home but if you google Sarah Blasko Like a Version it will take you to the triplej page. Incredible performance.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by Appollonia View Post
    I always thought people who cried over a famous person's death were stupid, like what does it matter to you when you didn't even know this person? I haven't cried over anyone ever but I cried over David Bowie's passing because it is just so incredibly sad that the world has lost this extraordinary man and I feel such a void, not in my personal life, but for all of us that he is gone.
    When artists I loved started dying on my watch I did get so upset. I realized how much they touched my life. For example, John Lennon, George Harrison, Cary Grant, Natalie Wood and Paul Newman. I loved them so much. They brought and still bring joy to my life. I turn on the tv or hear their music and it's like my friends came to visit me. I don't think it should be over explained, if you feel something, they're your feelings and they're real. I will always remember having dinner with my Dad and who walks into the restaurant but Mary Tyler Moore. Her tv show shaped me (just like Oprah)! I was so overcome with emotion that tears started falling down my cheeks, absolute puddles. Not crying or sobbing, just a waterfall. She and my mother have the exact same look, so that's also part of it. I kept dabbing my face with my napkin. My Dad still teases me to this day "There's Mary! Mary's here"! I'm really still processing David being gone but glad we can watch and listen.
    Serendipity likes this.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information