Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Cristiano Ronaldo hit with 'bizarre gay rumors'

A*O

No change required. Please don't let GR become yet another victim of the politically correct snowflakes who can't function outside their designated safe area without being triggered. If it bothers you, try growing a pair (or strap some on depending on where you sit on the LGBTQWERTY spectrum).
    Belt Up, BITTER, Mivvi21 and 1 others like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Are you serious? It is not about being politically correct and I am sorry that you do not see that. Do you really believe that we need a section to gossip about which celebs may be gay? Where will we gossip about celebs that we suspect may be straight? If wanting to be inclusive makes me a snowflake, I happily wear the title.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

A*O

Yes, I am serious. It's a slippery slope removing "offensive" sections to "offensive" posts to "offensive" posters. Offensive to whom? I think we are a very inclusive community which understands where to draw the line on all kinds of issues. I don't think having a "Gay Section" is homophobic or discriminatory , it's just a handy place to gather that particular gossip. In any event the person who created it is gay so it obviously doesn't bother him. What do other gay posters think?
    BITTER likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Balls aren't required if you have a brain and a heart.

I do understand what you mean, AO, but I think there is a big difference between jumping on the "PC bandwagon," and taking a moment to be considerate and kind and inclusive. Yes, even on a gossip board. It's not pandering to the celebrities we come here to dish about - at least not for me. Its because I don't want any GR readers, posters or lurkers, to feel they belong in a 'sub-category' simply for who they are or who they love.
    sluce, Tati, mostlylurking and 2 others like this.

A*O

OK, so let's hear from our gay members rather than trying to second guess?

I'm bi, if that counts and I don't give a shite.

If everyone was out and proud it wouldn't be an issue worth discussing and second guessing anyway.
    sluce, lindsaywhit and arie_skop like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I identify as bi as well, and I find the 'Who's Gay' section if not offensive exactly, kind of icky. It just feels wrong somehow.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Tati and sluce like this.

^ I mean yeah, it does smack of 'otherness' and perhaps it is a hangover from ye olde judgemental days but mostly it's just harmless speculation.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Oh, I agree, Belt Up. I think most GR participants just love any juicy gossip. Like, "Who's having an affair," yada yada. But the reason it tends to be juicy is because so many actors feel the need to hide part of who they are, and sometimes even the people that they love. A couple of years ago, it wouldn't even have crossed my mind that something like this could be a problem, or hurtful, but as our society becomes more open and inclusive, I've become more aware of the subliminal messages stuff like this sends out - especially to young people trying to find their place in the world. I'm not trying to create drama, and I'm certainly not trying to accuse anyone here, or the board itself, of being homophobic, but I do think its an important dialogue and I also don't see who it would harm if it was changed.

A sub-forum that seems to be dedicated to sussing out who is or might be gay doesn't seem to be "of these times," for sure. It's just not remarkable.

I mean, ... wait... Tati identifies as BI?!?!
    Tati, sluce, SHELLEE and 3 others like this.

don't tell her husband
    Tati, sluce, SHELLEE and 1 others like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Gayer than Liza's IUD. Oh, never mind LOL. I don't have a problem with it. The gayness is not the issue, but the lengths that many closeted celebs go to hide it IS.
    Last edited by BITTER; December 9th, 2015 at 06:21 PM.
    A*O, Sassiness, Belt Up and 1 others like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    You do realize that this IS a gossip board? About celebrities? If we can talk about the peccadilloes and love lives of straight celebs, I don't see why we can't talk about who is gay or lesbian or bi. If you are in the public eye, you are gonna get talked about. If a closeted celeb doesn't want rumors to spread, s/he should not have sex with anyone - because sooner or later, someone is gonna talk.
    I was quoting John Barrowman there by the way. Captain Jack from Dr Who... He used to put posters up saying, "Some people are gay, some people are not, so f*cking what." He copped a bit of heat for it back in the day. I thought he was brave.

I put a person's sexuality on the same shelf as their race, religion or political beliefs. The fact that it has its own sub forum, purely for the sexuality they were born with, sits uneasily with me. If however, a celebrity was having any sort of sex in public whilst dressed as a gay nazi priest I would have no problem gossiping about it whatsoever.
    sluce, lindsaywhit and Sassiness like this.

Or we could say "Hey - as a heterosexual, I want to check my privilege and stop suggesting that another person's sexuality is gossip worthy" and get rid of the section. There are plenty of hetero as well as LGBTI posters who find the "Who's Gay?" section offensive.

Wanting to gossip about the people who do not choose to come out is still homophobic. The fact that you think it's worthy of gossip means that you don't accept that it's normal or acceptable.

Now if we want to gossip about why famous people are forced to stay in the closet - that's a FAR more constructive area for debate and the real gossip worthy area. What is interesting is WHY Real Madrid might or might not be forcing Ronaldo to stay closeted, or WHY Hollywood execs are so paranoid about actors coming out. Not whether the individuals are non-hetero.

That's not being PC or any slippery slope to avoiding "offence" - it's being a basically decent person. If you can't see that, then... that says a lot about you.

If however, a celebrity was having any sort of sex in public whilst dressed as a gay nazi priest I would have no problem gossiping about it whatsoever.

Exactly! A person's sexuality is not gossip worthy. A person's public behaviour is.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information