Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Country Singer Joey Feek Enters Hospice

I can't believe their daughter has Down's syndrome, too. Just terrible luck for this family. I hope they find peace.

On a related note, she's inspired me to get a pap smear scheduled. It's been a few years and my GP has been nagging me about it, anyway. (Dumb reason, I have a really hard time peeing in a cup and they always want that.)
    HWBL, Mrs P and Wisher like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I've been due for a pap smear for a few years too. Ha, my old GP sends the letters to my in-laws in England and then they tell me "you need a pap smear" when they visit. Awkward!

Such a sad story. I can't imagine going through all of that with a new baby to take care of. Life is just really not fair a lot of the time.

Elite Member

I'd never heard of her before the news she entered hospice. Such a sad story.

Obit from CNN

oey Martin Feek of country duo Joey + Rory dies

By Lisa Respers France, CNN
    Updated 0111 GMT (0911 HKT) March 5, 2016 | Video Source: CNN

Story highlights

• Her husband, Rory, writes on blog that saying goodbye was difficult but Joey Martin Feek 'will still be with us. Everywhere."
    • She was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2014
    • The couple was discovered by a show on Country Music Television

(CNN)Joey Martin Feek, one half of the country duo Joey + Rory, died Friday after a battle with cervical cancer, her husband announced on Facebook. She was 40 years old.

"My wife's greatest dream came true today," Rory Feek wrote. "She is in heaven."
    Rory Feek said his wife died about 2:30 p.m. with her family around her in a home in Indiana.
    Martin Feek and her husband were discovered in 2008 after they competed on CMT's music competition show "Can You Duet." Their first single, "Cheater, Cheater," had a popular video with a cameo by Naomi Judd, a judge on "Can You Duet."
    Fans fell in love thanks to their talent and to an audition video that showed the couple's devotion to each other. In it, they shared the story of their meeting at a songwriting event in 2002 and the restaurant, Mary Jo's, that Martin Feek opened with her sister-in-law near their home in Columbia, Tennessee.
    In 2009, the Feeks won top new vocal duo at the Academy of Country Music Awards. They were nominated for a Grammy Award this year for "If I Needed You."
    The couple and their restaurant were also featured in Overstock.com commercials, bringing further exposure. Joey + Rory went on to release six studio albums.
    The couple shared Martin Feek's diagnosis of cancer in 2014, soon after the birth of their daughter, Indiana, who has Down syndrome.
    Despite intensive treatment and surgery, the cancer spread to her colon, and in November, the devout couple asked fans to pray for her healing and "God's will." The next day, Feek posted that his wife's tumors had continued to grow and said doctors told them that "we need to concentrate now on helping her be comfortable."
    "Not the answer we hoped for," he wrote on their blog. "But the answer He has given us."
    On Friday he wrote that, as his wife wished, he would return to Nashville. Saying goodbye was hard, he wrote, but her memories would stay with him and their children.
    "It's hard for me to imagine being there without Joey," he wrote. "It's where she will be. ... She's gonna be in the mint growing beside our back deck, the sweet-corn frozen in our freezer and a million other places that her hand and heart has touched around our little farmhouse and community. Joey will still be with us. Everywhere."
    Country singer Chris Young expressed his condolences on Twitter. "Have played shows with Joey and Rory before and it's so sad to lose her amazing voice," he wrote.

In addition to her husband and daughter, Martin Feek is survived by her husband's two daughters from an earlier relationship, her parents and three sisters
    Joey Martin Feek of country duo Joey + Rory dies - CNN.com

Fuck Cancer. May she soar with the angels and her family live on in peace with their loving memories. I wish them all nothing but the very best as they heal.
    Wisher likes this.

I have to admit, and this may well be a very unpopular opinion, but I felt like the constant stories about her in the media were just too much. It seemed like every single day, there was something published (I guess by the family) about her; "Joey says her final goodbyes", "Joey spends time with her precious daughter", etc. I don't fault her for doing these things with her family in her last days, I just don't get the need to publicly post about it every day. I just saw today a picture that was published of her husband and their baby back home with one of their horses; my first thought was, ok, here we go, now we get to hear on a daily basis about how he is bravely facing the loss of his wife...
    teforde23 likes this.

Be free, beautiful and brave woman, wife and mother.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

It seems like it was a comfort for her to share her story. Who am I to judge? Like someone else wrote upthread, it's nice whenever the dying process can be seen as safe and beautiful rather than something sterile and hidden.
    Serendipity and Annika like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information