Page 121 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2071
Like Tree8209Likes

Thread: The continuing saga of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

  1. #1801
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    46,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    It is a good thing those bananas never reached their destination..
    You all seem to be sure these Royals and celebrities are doing charities because they are kind and considerate.It is a job they are doing,everything is calculated and carefully pre arranged,even those made to look spontaneous.So i judge the work they do and how well is done.Sometimes you get a look into their inner self but this is rare.You are also mostly easy to please and believe people is good .Maybe in Santa Claus too.
    I am a hardened old bitch and i see things differently..So.lets just say you saw the banana gate as a caring act and i saw a stupid self promoting failed attempt .And i am not pissed,i just gossip nicely in my beautiful verandah,sniggering...
    So if you are just sat on your porch sniggering why are you shooting so much vitriol at other posters?



    For the record, I think that you are buying what the tabloids are selling but that is my opinion.

  2. #1802
    Elite Member dexter7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    sex workers are not children in a cafeteria. I find the banana thing to be condescending and tacky. But everyone sees things differently. Personally, I would be offended if someone who was extremely rich and affluent handed me a banana with hand written motivational words.
    SHELLEE, effie2, A*O and 1 others like this.

  3. #1803
    Elite Member effie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Where it all begun
    Posts
    16,108

    Default

    shooting vitriol?really?I shoot nothing,for god,s sake.Telling it as i see it is what i do,but this doesnt sit well ,i dont know why.I ve been called names ,sent to fuck off and shit and i took it like an adult.The smallest hint of disagreeing is either hate,or vitriol ,or racism ..Lighten up,it is only a gossip board,right?
    A*O, SHELLEE, Labelwhore and 1 others like this.

  4. #1804
    Elite Member DeChayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,994

    Default

    ** I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that you all are fighting over MEGHAN FUCKING MARKLE**
    Now that the belly-clutching is over, who gives a shit?? She's an actress that was on a show that wasn't even, like, a real station, it was TNT or some shit, and now she's married to PHG and got knocked up, and WHO FUCKING CARES. Good Lord, I haven't even seen this much vitriol over the Satan's pubes debate (cilantro for you masochists who enjoy it) and that's WAY more important.
    effie2, SHELLEE, tulip and 1 others like this.

  5. #1805
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    46,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    shooting vitriol?really?I shoot nothing,for god,s sake.Telling it as i see it is what i do,but this doesnt sit well ,i dont know why.I ve been called names ,sent to fuck off and shit and i took it like an adult.The smallest hint of disagreeing is either hate,or vitriol ,or racism ..Lighten up,it is only a gossip board,right?
    Then I suggest you also take your own advice Effie instead of calling posters that disagree with you naďve, childish, still believe in Santa, etc.....

  6. #1806
    czb
    czb is offline
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    16,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    ** I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that you all are fighting over MEGHAN FUCKING MARKLE**
    Now that the belly-clutching is over, who gives a shit?? She's an actress that was on a show that wasn't even, like, a real station, it was TNT or some shit, and now she's married to PHG and got knocked up, and WHO FUCKING CARES. Good Lord, I haven't even seen this much vitriol over the Satan's pubes debate (cilantro for you masochists who enjoy it) and that's WAY more important.
    i get your point. who cares about MM?

    but i don't think people are really arguing about MM. i think it's about the reason we think so many people dislike her - inherent racism.

    and now that i wrote 'racism', i think it will bring up a whole new round of arguments. but at least we all agree that a*o did not threaten to harm MM. whew

  7. #1807
    Elite Member ShimmeringGlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,912

    Default

    The Daily Mail continues to amuse. They had a story about The Queen going out of her way to make Meghan feel welcome into the family by inviting her and Harry to Balmoral to celebrate her birthday and in the next story chastises her for leaving her baby shower by the side door, prompting vehicles to be moved. Oh, the horror. She's out of sight, but not out of mind for the Daily Mail. It's clear why they are so fixated on her.


    DailyMail: 50% Drop In Traffic After Google June 2019 Core Update

    Jesus Mendez, the SEO Director at MailOnline, which operators DailyMail.co.uk, has admitted publicly that the site took a massive hit by the June 2019 Google core updatewhich began rolling out June 3rd. He said the site "lost 50% of daily traffic" because of this Google update.

    It is very rare for a publishing site that large to admit they were hit by a Google update - extremely rare to see a post about it in a public forum. But the transparency is clear and honest, which I do love. It launched in 2003, and according to Wikipedia it is/was "the most visited English-language newspaper website in the world, with over 11.34m visitors daily in August 2014." Heck, I even wrote how smart they were when they hid an easter egg in their robots.txt file to hire a savvy SEO for their publication.

    But now, the site lost 50% of its traffic, with an additional 90% drop in their Google Discover traffic - which can hurt big time for a publication that size.

    Jesus Mendez wrote in as Google Webmaster Help thread "The day after the broad core algorithm update (June 3rd) we saw a massive drop in Search traffic from Google (lost 50% of daily traffic). This was a drop over the course of 24-hours and we have not made any changes to the site. Further, we saw our Discover traffic drop by 90% and has not improved. This is across all verticals, devices, AMP and Non-AMP. "

    Here is a screen shot of the full post (click to enlarge):


    There are no responses to this post - but wowza. We know this update can be big for some sites but the DailyMail really felt it!
    Forum discussion at Google Webmaster Help.

    Update: The Press Gazette confirmed with The Mall Online that Jesus Mendez did post in the Google forums.

    https://www.seroundtable.com/dailyma...ate-27690.html

  8. #1808
    Elite Member NickiDrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,579

    Default

    I can definitely agree that the royals don’t always do the charity stuff out of the kindness of their own hearts, that’s pretty obvious. However, only ONE royal gets singled out for negativity related to her charity work and that is Meghan. Kate and William do charity work too, work that is well publicized with photos and no one accuses them of doing the charity work for nefarious purposes. I think it’s also important to point out that Meghan was doing charity work long before she was a royal and she was never an A-list celeb who got attention or praise for doing it. And I don’t remember ever hearing about Kate doing charity work before she got involved with the royals. I think it’s pretty difficult to argue that Meghan is doing something ONLY for attention when (a) it’s literally her job to do charity now and (b) she voluntarily did charity for years before she was ever involved with Harry.

    So while I definitely believe that much of their charity work is for PR, that applies equally to ALL of them. If you’re going to call out Meghan for doing charity work that gets publicized, you should also be calling out Will and Kate, Princess Anne, hell the Queen herself.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

  9. #1809
    Elite Member effie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Where it all begun
    Posts
    16,108

    Default

    No,i think the MM saga triggered old,well hidden dislikes and unveiled traits in character of members no one suspected before..it happens and it happened before.Long as you agree with some body,all is well.When you dont,you suddenly discover you are a racist old pearl clutching bitch.As i said,it happens.

  10. #1810
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    59,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    It's clear why they are so fixated on her.
    Really? I'm sure the neck-less Vine woman's word choice was totally accidental.

    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    "What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

  11. #1811
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    57,107

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I’ve thought about this a lot and if I accept your premise that MM’s been copping more than her fair share of “hate” (a word that’s lost it’s meaning via over-use) then UK tabloids and former tabloid journo/editor Piers Morgan are usually pretty tuned in to what the average person on the street thinks about any given issue. People are super vigilant about racism, sometimes with very good reason, sometimes not, and I guess some of the anti-MM rhetoric is based on that. But it’s not the only explanation. My reason for, let’s say, being very wary of her behaviour and motives is because she now has a royal, not a Hollywood, role to fulfil and they are distinct and different things.

    There are too many reports - not just tabloids/Morgan - that she’s putting a lot of backs up in her own household with her airs and graces and lack of awareness of the unwritten royal “rules”. And nobody seems willing or able (or allowed?) to set her straight. When her dim, besotted husband said “Meghan gets what Meghan wants” I doubt he realised that he wasn’t doing her any favours. So when she comes up with these “amazing” ideas which seem more like publicity stunts than wise ideas without the benefit of any apparent filter for keeping it appropriate for royal patronage then people like me whose taxes fund her whole fairytale become uneasy. To repeat, I don’t “hate” her as a person but I do question her behaviour. And if you look outside the GR echo chamber you will find that I’m far from alone with this point of view which, while unpopular, is nevertheless valid.

    And if some triggered snowflake seriously thinks that by comparing MM to Marie Antoinette I’m advocating killing her then things have become much worse than I feared around here. Hint: research why MA became so unpopular in the first place.
    thanks for responding. You still haven’t explained how MM guest editing is different from Charles and Kate Fihn got ir why their doing it didn’t set off the same hysterical pearl clutching in the press, which you have to admit might point to something else being behind the tabloids dislike of her, no? the same thing that might explain why she is judged more harshly and has every move dissected to a degree other royals who have done much worse things (Andrew), don’t.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Meghan Markle might not be destroying the monarchy but she’s destroying GR... which is a perfectly valid reason to not like her
    this isn’t directed at you so much as other comments that go on the same direction, such as the assertion that political correctness is causing damage to the world, or when anti racism activists or feminists are accused of being “divisive” because they’re rocking the boat and refusing to accept the status quo.

    no, meghan isn’t splitting the board apart. Meghan is a symbol more than anything else and it’s not so much her individually but what she stands for. If it weren’t her, we’d be having a similar discussions on another topic, and we have (see the Serena Williams cartoon thread if you want to see what I’m talking about).


    There are certain people and topics that will bring out the fault lines in the core beliefs of a group or community. You can either ban those discussions and keep those things under the surface and pretend it’s all good, or you have those discussions and the divisions in core beliefs will be revealed and you can either live with those differences or you can’t.


    It’s the same discussions going on in families and groups of friends all over the world right now because we’re at a moment in history where there is a deep cultural divide within western societies. Whether they’re sparked by #MeToo, black lives matter, immigration, diversity, Brexit, “political correctness” or - because we’re gossip loving bitches - Meaghan Markle.


    I’m not a fan of banning discussion topics, even if the alternative is having to deal with the fact that they might bring up uncomfortable realisations about beliefs held by friends/family members/etc. I can, to a certain degree, like people very much despite the fact that they hold some beliefs that make me uncomfortable, or that disappoint me or make me see someone in a different way. Basically, you can love someone and accept that they hold certain beliefs you can barely stand. That’s what tolerance is. To tolerate means to barely stand, which is not the same as acceptance. So yeah, I can like someone a lot and barely be able to stand some of their opinions. To a point. And that point is different for everyone and highly subjective and everyone has their red lines.

    apologies for the ‘festo.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  12. #1812
    Elite Member Charmed Hour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    No,i think the MM saga triggered old,well hidden dislikes and unveiled traits in character of members no one suspected before..it happens and it happened before.Long as you agree with some body,all is well.When you dont,you suddenly discover you are a racist old pearl clutching bitch.As i said,it happens.
    I think this thread has helped reveal some implicit biases and along with the known explicit biases. I'm not pointing a finger at you (or any other poster), just stating what my perception of this thread has evolved into. The interesting thing about having an implicit bias, is we don't know we have it until it's pointed out and we are willing to accept it.
    sputnik, czb, Kittylady and 7 others like this.

  13. #1813
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    887

    Default

    So I'm trying to understand this .... according to some here, everything she does is to chase fame. But ... she IS de facto hugely famous, and doing more work or what have you isn't going to have any material impact on her position or or that level of fame. If she doesn't get out and do charitable work, people will complain that she's not earning her keep. What exactly do people who find her so offensive want her to be doing or perhaps more properly, how is she supposed to behave when she is doing these activities? Smile, say nothing? Say something scripted? Show up, accept flowers, and be photographed? Stick to existing patronages only? And then show up, smile and say nothing? Bets she would be criticized for being a Stepford Wife if she behaved that way.

    I can't think of a member of the immediate royal family who hasn't been criticized - but not like MM. Kate flashing the royal biscuit on more occasions than can be counted. William presumably having it off with his Norfolk neighbour and being incredibly work shy, like his wife. Philip's philandering and racism and most recently, his car accident. Charles and Camilla and all that went into that. Diana and her affairs and fragile mental state. Edward commercializing his royal status (and Sophie too initially before she faded away into being a silent, flower accepting, smiling royal cypher). Fergie ... well, we all know about her. Ditto Andrew. Even Anne's divorce caused controversy. Margaret ... too much to enumerate. With the exception of the Queen's tepid initial response to Diana's death, I don't think people were braying that X's activities would be the end of the monarchy because people would rise up and scream off with their heads. That's the last time I can recall criticism really digging into whether or not the monarchy was going to survive. And now Meghan Markle is going to take them down because she wrote on bananas or guest edited a magazine or doesn't want to share her baby's photos or godparents' names?

    Dislike her all you want. But please - at least be honest about why you feel that way. It surely can't be because "she isn't behaving like a royal" given the history of the British royal family.

  14. #1814
    Elite Member effie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Where it all begun
    Posts
    16,108

    Default

    mmmm,when all the other royals were grilled there was no reaction..there was as you yourself state public uproar about almost all the family,the queen left alone.I do not remember defending ,adoring fans running wild because their darling was slayed by the gr bitches.
    It is only with her the knifes are out.I think as a newcomer she is having her fair share of negative gossip like Kate did.She provokes with her choices and the media use her to divert the public..So,it seems that her fans wont allow a different voice to be heard..you tell me why...

  15. #1815
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    57,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Why are you so angry these days kitty?
    The better question is, why aren’t you?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 75
    Last Post: December 31st, 2018, 10:00 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: November 12th, 2018, 07:13 PM
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: May 24th, 2018, 04:51 PM
  4. Replies: 46
    Last Post: March 18th, 2018, 01:01 PM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: January 5th, 2018, 09:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •