Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree1207Likes

Thread: Comedian Hannibal Buress Called Out Bill Cosby's Rape History on Stage

I was wondering if Janice mentioned it in her book because she told a lot of stories. If she did, then it's not really a "bandwagon" thing. The Gawker article mentions she was pressured to remove references to the incident but I'm not sure if she did or not.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Howard Stern replayed an interview with Janice from 2006 in which she stated that was forced to remove something about Bill Cosby. She said all she could say at the time was he was not a nice man and he preyed on women.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

A*O

Whether it did or didn't happen is now totally unprovable either way. He has been named and shamed on the say-so of his alleged victim(s) and because he's a high profile celeb the media is all over it and he's already been found guilty thus effectively ending his career. Mud sticks.

And no, I'm not defending sexual assault, and yes he probably is an asshole but that's not the point.
    HeartShapedBox likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Sorry A*O but sometimes mud needs to stick because the limitations of the legal system protects the sexual predator more than the victim. He is a rapist. Period. It was well known here in Philly when he raped the employee from Temple but the DA said, although they believed her, there was not enough evidence and would be her word against his. He happily settled with her out of court.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

A*O

The system is broke for sure and I'm sure he's been able to make previous allegations go away with lotsa $$$$$. Haven't there been several BI's about him? Before you all pile in on me for "defending" a rapist, of course I'm not. I'm just uncomfortable with the media witch hunt playing judge and jury instead of the proper process in a court of law. I also strongly believe there should be a statute of limitations that applies to this type of offence (say, 10 years) and that the accused should be allowed the benefit of anonymity like his accusers are until he's actually found guilty. Then throw the book at him, no mercy.

Edit: and while I'm on my soapbox people have to realise that by not reporting sexual assault in a timely fashion and obtaining the necessary statements and forensic/medical evidence a wealthy douche like this with clever lawyers will usually get away with it on a technicality. Yes, it's distressing and humiliating to go through all the physical and mental exams but could that be any worse than seeing your rapist get away with it because you didn't report it as soon as possible?
    Last edited by A*O; November 19th, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Even if some of those women went to his room with the realization that they were probably going to end up having sex with Bill Cosby, when he slipped that drug into their drink, and removed their ability to consent (because that's the way he liked it) it's rape, and he's a sicko. And these 13 or so victims were the ones brave enough to come forward so far, even though it might reflect badly on them. There's probably a lot, lot more since that seemed to be his MO.

I wish one of these women instead of being ashamed, which I can understand, went to the police right away and got their blood tested, or took the glass with them.
    A*O, Trixie and Lalasnake like this.

Elite Member

Well, both NBC and Netflix have cancelled/postponed his new shows.

Alleged Rapist Bill Cosby's Comeback Sitcom Killed by NBC

Alleged Rapist Bill Cosby's Comeback Sitcom Killed by NBC

The fallout for comedian Bill Cosby in the wake of a host of rape allegations appears to have reached a zenith: His purported comeback sitcom for NBC, a source tells BuzzFeed's Kate Aurthur, is dead.

The network originally announced the project in January and sealed the deal with producer Sony in August, when Yes, Dear actor Mike O'Malley signed on to pen the pilot. But as sexual assault allegations that have long dogged the comedian found renewed fervor after a Hannibal Buress set last month, news came that the pilot, in which Cosby plays the grandfather in a multi-generational family, still didn't have a finished script.

NBC's decision to pull the plug on the project comes as a third blow to Cosby in the past 24 hours: After model Janice Dickinson went on Entertainment Tonight Tuesday evening to also accuse him of rape, Neflix announced today that it was shelving its already-produced standup special the service planned to stream next week.

The show was intended to be considered for the fall 2015 TV season, and as Deadline pointed out in its story from August, NBC will have to pay a "big penalty" to Cosby for the project not going to pilot.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30111010
    Bill Cosby comedy special postponed by Netflix

Streaming service Netflix has postponed a Bill Cosby comedy special in the wake of allegations of sexual assault that have resurfaced in recent weeks. Bill Cosby 77 was to have been streamed from 27 November. It is not clear when or if the special will now be shown.
    Netflix's announcement came shortly after Tuesday's airing of an interview with a model and TV host who claimed Cosby sexually assaulted her in 1982.
    Cosby's lawyer previously said the comedian would be making no comment.
    John P Schmidt said the allegations were a "decade-old [and] discredited" and that he did not intend to "dignify [them] with any comment".
    A follow-up statement amended the earlier denial to say it did not refer to Andrea Constand, an accuser whose civil action against him was settled in 2006.
    The latest allegation came from TV presenter Janice Dickinson, who accused Cosby of sexually assaulting her after a dinner date in Lake Tahoe, California.
    "The next morning I woke up and I wasn't wearing my pyjamas," she told Entertainment Tonight. "I remembered before I passed out that I had been sexually assaulted."
    Dickinson claimed she had written about the alleged assault in a 2002 autobiography but had been pressured by Cosby's lawyer and her publisher to remove the details.
    Dickinson, a contestant in the 2007 series of I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!, is one of several women to have accused Cosby of sexual assault going back almost 30 years.
    Cosby remained silent during an NPR radio interview that aired on Saturday when he was asked to comment on the accusations levelled against him.
    The veteran comedian is best known for playing Cliff Huxtable, benign patriarch of an African-American family in hit US sitcom The Cosby Show.

Ha! Good.
    llamamama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by llamamama View Post
    Even if some of those women went to his room with the realization that they were probably going to end up having sex with Bill Cosby, when he slipped that drug into their drink, and removed their ability to consent (because that's the way he liked it) it's rape, and he's a sicko. And these 13 or so victims were the ones brave enough to come forward so far, even though it might reflect badly on them. There's probably a lot, lot more since that seemed to be his MO.

I wish one of these women instead of being ashamed, which I can understand, went to the police right away and got their blood tested, or took the glass with them.
    Exactly, and he also removed their ability to remember what the hell happened. That's a major issue with a prosecution, having a witness who can clearly state that they were raped, not someone who can only say they woke up groggy, naked or disheveled with the feeling they'd been violated. He also seemed to pick people who were young and starstruck, trying to get into the business etc so they weren't likely to cross someone so famous and powerful. And I'm sure the more he got away with it, the more bold he became. It seems there were very few over the years who ever spoke up or went to authorities and their cases went nowhere. And he was able to use lawyers and money to sweep it under the rug.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

And wasn't this in the news a few years ago too? I vaguely remember it. I remember nothing came of it, so you were left wondering if Dr. Huxtable was really a rapist or not.

I think it's awesome that he's finally getting his due and am hoping that someone recent will come forward and there will be actual charges. I will say that I would love to buy Hannibal Buress a beer, at the very least. He had guts and I admire the hell out of that. If he's playing around me soon (I don't live too far from Philly), I'm definitely going to see him.
    BuffyKatniss and Lalasnake like this.

[QUOTE=Nevan;3278859]And wasn't this in the news a few years ago too? I vaguely remember it. I remember nothing came of it, so you were left wondering if Dr. Huxtable was really a rapist or not.[/QUOTE]yes, we had a thread back in 2007.
    "We don't want other leaders and other countries laughing at us any more. And they won't be. They won't be." --Trump

"ROFL" -- rest of world

And here it is: Bill Cosby, Serial Rapist?
    BuffyKatniss likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

IT’S NOT JUST COSBY: HOLLYWOOD’S LONG LIST OF MALE SCUMBAGS

“I wonder how he sleeps at night.”

That’s what Barbara Bowman said about legendary comedian Bill Cosby during an interview on HuffPost Live last Friday. Bowman had just written an op-ed for TheWashington Post detailing alleged sexual assaults by Cosby in the mid-1980s.

“[There was the time] in Atlantic City, which was the final incident, where he came straight out and attacked me in his suite and tried to rape me and tried to tear off my clothes and he was trying to tear off his belt buckle and his pants,” the 47-year-old actress recounted. “I was screaming and yelling and scratching and wrestling to get away from him, and at one point he just got angry and viciously mad and threw me out.”

Bowman is one of over a dozen women who has accused Cosby of sexual assault over the years. Cosby is frequently listed among the greatestcomedians of all time. He received the Presidential Medal of Freedomfrom George W. Bush. And there is, of course, Cliff Huxtable and that string of delightful Jell-O commercials.

These accusations against the 77-year-old comic are not—for the most part—actually news, per se. They’ve been around for a long time, having been aired in several prominent news and entertainment outlets. “Basically nobody wanted to live in a world where Bill Cosby was a sexual predator,” Tom Scocca wrote at Gawker back in February. “It was too much to handle.”
    The reason this has reentered the news cycle is because comedianHannibal Buress called Cosby a rapist on-stage in October. That set off the renewed scrutiny and claims of assault.

Regardless of why this has emerged as big news yet again, it is extremely important that it has. The rich and powerful shouldn’t be allowed to duck a tide of rape allegations, and that includes beloved, family-friendly household names. But Bill Cosby is far from the only famous man who has been accused of sexual assault, rape, or violence against women. And it’s astounding how many of them have been gift-wrapped a free pass from an adoring public.

Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist, and he now stars as a loveable cartoon TV detective. Roman Polanski raped a 13-year-old and has since won an Oscar to a standing ovation. Sean Connery is the celebrated embodiment of rugged cool, who has openly championed beating women in order to keep ’em in line. Bill Murray has been accused by his ex-wife of repeated, brutal physical abuse. Rick James was arrested for torturing and sexually abusing a woman for three days straight, only to have his image rehabilitated by Dave Chappelle years later. John Lennon is one of the most worshipped artists who has ever drawn breath, and he has copped to battering the shit out of women.

Also, who could forget Michael Jackson, R. Kelly, CeeLo Green, Julian Assange, Terry Richardson, Tupac Shakur, Gary Glitter, Charlie Sheen,Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Nicolas Cage, and Chris Brown.

And then there’s Woody Allen—the other world-famous funnyman who recently came under fire for alleged horrific abuse.

It’s a sad reality that these men live in a world and thrive in a popular culture where too many of its patrons maintain a depressingly high threshold for indefensibility. One tragedy of the Cosby affair is that it took so damn long for these easily Google-able allegations to resurface in any meaningful way. Many were just eager to forget, absolve, or overlook serious accusations, simply because doing so would be hugely convenient.

Terrible crimes don’t automatically negate an artist or celebrity’s contribution to society—but rape, sex crimes, and brutalizing women are not hobbies that audiences should tolerate. It’s the sort of behavior that is now unacceptable in virtually all other forms of business. Surely, Hollywood should not be exempt from such a standard.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...mbags.htmlhttp://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/19/it-s-not-just-cosby-hollywood-s-long-list-of-male-scumbags.html

SillyME54, Beeyotch, sluce and 3 others like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I get what you're saying A*O, but when it comes to a public figure as beloved by many as Bill Cosby, the odds of him being undeservedly given the benefit of the doubt are much greater than the odds of his reputation being unfairly tarnished. The fact that these accusations have surfaced before and went nowhere demonstrates that. I don't think the media are being irresponsible here-- so many women coming forward lend the allegations an undeniable credibility. I hope the story catches fire more and more and that this rapist lives out his the rest of his life in public disgrace and misery, because that is the only form of justice we are likely to see.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

TV Land pulls 'Cosby Show' from lineup

By DAVID BAUDER
    3 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC has scrapped a Bill Cosby comedy that was under development and TV Land will stop airing reruns of "The Cosby Show," moves that came a day after another woman came forward claiming that the once-beloved comic had sexually assaulted her.

Related Stories
    1. NBC, Netflix cancel Bill Cosby's shows after sex assault claims Reuters
    2. Netflix postpones launch of Cosby comedy special Associated Press
    3. Bill Cosby’s Return to TV Is Canceled The Wall Street Journal
    4. TV Land pulls Cosby Show reruns, essentially killing Bill Cosby's comeback The Week (RSS)
    5. NBC, Netflix pull Cosby shows amid sex assault claims AFP

NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks said Wednesday the Cosby sitcom "is no longer under development." A TV Land representative said the reruns will stop airing immediately for an indefinite time. "The Cosby Show" also was to have been part of a Thanksgiving sitcom marathon.

The NBC sitcom and "Cosby Show" reruns joined a Netflix Cosby standup comedy special, which was indefinitely postponed late Tuesday, as mounting evidence of Cosby's faltering career. They occurred a day after model Janice Dickinson, in an interview with "Entertainment Tonight," became the third woman in recent weeks to allege she'd been assaulted by Cosby — charges strongly denied by the comedian's lawyer.

The developments, which involve allegations that were widely reported a decade ago as well as new accusations, have gravely damaged the 77-year-old comedian's reputation as America's TV dad at a time when he was launching a comeback. A year ago, a standup special — his first in 30 years — aired on Comedy Central and drew a hefty audience of 2 million viewers. His prospective new series was announced by NBC in January.

Cosby has never been charged in connection with any of the allegations. Former Pennsylvania prosecutor Bruce L. Castor Jr., who investigated a woman's claims that Cosby had sexually assaulted her in 2004, said Wednesday he decided not to prosecute because he felt there was not enough evidence to get a conviction.

"I wrote my opinion in such a way as I thought conveyed to the whole world that I thought he had done it, he had just gotten away with it because of a lack of evidence," the former Montgomery County district attorney said.

View gallery

FILE - In this Nov. 18, 2013 file photo, actor-comedian Bill Cosby poses for a portrait in New York. …

If Cosby hadn't been cooperative with the investigation, "I probably would have arrested him," Castor said.

Cosby was asked about the growing furor by an Associated Press reporter when the comedian was promoting an exhibition at the Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art that features the comedian's African-American art collection alongside African artworks.

When the AP interviewed Cosby, on Nov. 6, the story involved long-circulated accusations from several women and recent criticism from comedian Hannibal Buress. Cosby declined to comment, saying "We don't answer that."

The AP mentioned the allegations and Cosby's decision not to comment at the end of its story, which, like the interview, was primarily about his loan of more than 50 artworks to the Washington museum.

Since then, two women have come forward publicly to accuse him of sexual assault, Netflix, TV Land and NBC cut ties and an appearance on "The Late Show With David Letterman" was canceled. In recent days, as the allegations gained increasing attention, AP went back through the full video of the Nov. 6 interview and decided to publish Cosby's full reaction to questions about the claims.

View gallery

FILE -This Nov. 11, 2014, file photo shows entertainer and Navy veteran Bill Cosby speaking during a …

The AP was among a handful of news organizations granted interviews with Cosby in connection with the art exhibition. After his initial refusal to comment — as the interview was winding down but with the camera still running and Cosby wearing a lapel microphone — the comedian asked the AP to not use the brief on-camera refusal to comment he had just made about the allegations. "And I would appreciate it if it was scuttled," he said.

The interview was on the record. The AP had made no agreement to avoid questions about the allegations or to withhold publishing any of his comments at any time.

The Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art has not changed its plans for the show, which opened this month on the National Mall and is scheduled to remain on view through early 2016.

"The exhibition has been very well received. We've actually had record numbers through the door," spokesman Eddie Burke said, adding the museum has had no complaints.

The NBC project was in the very early stages, without a script or commitment to production. But it would have brought Cosby back to the network where he had reigned in the 1980s with the top-rated "The Cosby Show."

View gallery

Commissioner Bruce Castor, a former Montgomery County District Attorney, speaks during an interview …

There's some precedent for a network burying a project because of stories involving a star's personal life. NBC shelved a two-hour TV movie, "Frogmen," starring O.J. Simpson in 1994 after the former football star was implicated in his wife's death.
    Cosby has continued working as a stand-up comic, and has at least 35 performances scheduled throughout the U.S. and Canada through May 2015. None of the performances has been cancelled.

National Artists Corporation, which is promoting part of the tour, said it will not be canceling any shows.

Dickinson told "Entertainment Tonight" that Cosby had given her red wine and a pill when they were together in a Lake Tahoe, California, hotel room in 1982. When she woke up the next morning, "I wasn't wearing my pajamas and I remembered before I passed out I had been sexually assaulted by this man."

Cosby's lawyer, Martin Singer, said in a letter to the AP that Dickinson's charges were "false and outlandish" and were contradicted by Dickinson herself in a published autobiography. Cosby's spokesman, David Brokaw, did not return calls for comment.

Singer said the first Cosby heard of any assault allegation from Dickinson came in the "Entertainment Tonight" interview, and suggested the actress was "seeking publicity to bolster her fading career."
    ____
    Mark Kennedy and Frazier Moore in New York, Lynn Elber in Los Angeles, Kathy Matheson in Norristown, Pa. and Brett Zongker in Washington, D.C., contributed to this story.

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information